Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

8 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

If more schools get better opportunities in other conferences, a majority of the current CUSA members could possibly vote to dissolve the conference. Therefore, no one has to pay an exit fee because no conference exists. 

Hey remember when people (myself included) were talking about the AAC folding because schools would vote to dissolve the conference and blah blah blah? This sounds like a remix of that discussion.

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

AAC wanted them to pay $30 million

YEA…. And if the CUSA schools pay slightly more then half that would be like 12 million…. Split among 8 schools….. and the SBC only pays, what? 200k a year? Meaning the exit fees are worth 5 plus years of SBC TV money. That they would get, in addition to their CUSA TV money. 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Hey remember when people (myself included) were talking about the AAC folding because schools would vote to dissolve the conference and blah blah blah? This sounds like a remix of that discussion.

Vaguely remember the same conversation about the Big 12.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No.  Link?

A few nimrods thought the Big 12 would vote to dissolve, which was silly.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No.  Link?

A few nimrods thought the Big 12 would vote to dissolve, which was silly.

I probably am confusing the voting to dissolve with the Big 12 now that I think about it. But even that made some sense since there was a potential landing spot for almost all the Big 12 schools. Not the case for CUSA, so there’s no real motivation for the leftovers to dissolve the conference. 

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

How many households is ESPN+ available to ?

Also my other post about having to pay substantially more to get access to MW  and PAC content. While, Hulu nasic packages include ESPN +. 

Which Conferences truly have the best tv exposure ?

Is this a real question? If so it is dumb one. FS2 is in 57.5M households of the 121M TV households in the US. There are 14.9M ESPN+ subscribers (this includes all the Dis+,Hulu bundle subscribers). So to answer your question the MWC has better exposure. 

Also, you are right about the ratings for MWC games but there is little competition in those late timeslots and these sports channels need to feel them with content. There is actual value in this. Where there is not value is for Rice vs. Charlotte ESPN+ game in the same timeslot as the Georgia vs. Oklahoma game.

ESPN has the AAC, CUSA, and Big 12 over a barrel. They will reduce the TV value of CUSA, AAC, Big 12 and still own that content. The Big 12 already said their TV contract will be about 50% less after OU and UT leave which will save ESPN$ in that contract. I would assume a similar percentage reduction for the AAC after UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati move to the Big 12.  The MWC contract ends in a few years so there is an opportunity for CT to shop the value of a Memphis/SMU/Gonzaga/WSU add to the MWC. (I believe the Big 12 will not add more schools unless they get raided again. There just isn't enough TV value from the teams that are left out)

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I probably am confusing the voting to dissolve with the Big 12 now that I think about it. But even that made some sense since there was a potential landing spot for almost all the Big 12 schools. Not the case for CUSA, so there’s no real motivation for the leftovers to dissolve the conference. 

Probably.  Is giving up 3 mil in exit fees per team worth it to move to the Sun Belt?  Maaaybe? I think the Sun Belt with Southern Miss and Marshall would be a better football product year in and year out than the AAC.

8 minutes ago, jlunm07 said:

ESPN has the AAC, CUSA, and Big 12 over a barrel. They will reduce the TV value of CUSA, AAC, Big 12 and still own that content. The Big 12 already said their TV contract will be about 50% less after OU and UT leave which will save ESPN$ in that contract. I would assume a similar percentage reduction for the AAC after UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati move to the Big 12.  The MWC contract ends in a few years so there is an opportunity for CT to shop the value of a Memphis/SMU/Gonzaga/WSU add to the MWC. (I believe the Big 12 will not add more schools unless they get raided again. There just isn't enough TV value from the teams that are left out)

Big 12's TV rights are split between Fox and ESPN.  CUSA's are split as well (CBSSN/ESPN).  And reports (For what they may be worth) are that the financial haircut for the B12 will be less than 50%.  The 50% comment was by the league when they were lobbying the Texas Governor.  It now appears to been a bit of a snow job.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Probably.  Is giving up 3 mil in exit fees per team worth it to move to the Sun Belt?  Maaaybe? I think the Sun Belt with Southern Miss and Marshall would be a better football product year in and year out than the AAC.

Sun Belt was always very underrated.  Unless you're a vandal, then the Sun Belt can go f*ck itself.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

With what is left, I think Marshall and L tech seems the best schools in there. You have to feel for FIU who is now on an island waving at people. But for Sun Belt to me just because of location Southern Mississippi seems like a fit for them.  But who knows at this point but again to me it would seem logical for the other schools to maybe call around and then CUSA presidents getting together to discuss things

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

You must have the non-live version of Hulu, because it comes with CBSSN. 

It is what it is in my zip code. I had to pony up an extra $52 per month to get CBSSN, the Fox channels, and ESPN family channels minus ESPN+ which comes with Hulu basic.

I will cancel after Bowl Season.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

The only way you don't have CBSSN now is you arent willing to pay for ANY live streaming services. I hate CBSSN but it's true. 

Why isn't CBSSN available with Paramount+ ?

They are the same damned company.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, B_Lootz said:

I know this, but if they ‘could’ persuade the bowl committee to sweeten the deal by making a tie in for the MW then I might consider taking them. 

btw, nice to see UTEP football making some strides under Dimel this season, going from two one-win seasons to now currently at 6-1. Sorry to say for the NMS fans on here, but if it ever came down to the two of you, the MW would take UTEP over the Newmags and it wouldn’t be a debate.

But, but Baseball ! 

And Basketball !

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea like I mentioned in another post, we shit on the AAC when UConn left because “exit fees are negotiable” and UConn paid almost  all their exit fees. The defectors are going to pay up. They’ll probably stretch the payments out over several years, but they are going to pay. 

I have no doubt that OUT has the power and the Lawyers to stiff arm the New12.

They will pay some fees but not full value.

Americans Mayor

Hmm if you had told me in 2006 that by 2021 the MWC had cemented itself as the 6th best football conference in the country, this.... would not have been what I would have imagined

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

29 minutes ago, RSF said:

Big 12's TV rights are split between Fox and ESPN.  CUSA's are split as well (CBSSN/ESPN).  And reports (For what they may be worth) are that the financial haircut for the B12 will be less than 50%.  The 50% comment was by the league when they were lobbying the Texas Governor.  It now appears to been a bit of a snow job.

Let's be honest this is impossible to know since there are only a few years left on the contract with CBS and ESPN. The Big 12 will be negotiating their new deal in 2023 and something tells me without UT and OU it is not going to be close to the value they get now. Is it 50%? That might be on the high side, but it will be a big hit that is for sure. Saying anything else would be delusional. OU/UT > UCF/Cin/Houston by a lot. 

31 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Sun Belt was always very underrated.  Unless you're a vandal, then the Sun Belt can go f*ck itself.

You didn't fit their footprint or competitive threshold 

Americans Mayor

23 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It is what it is in my zip code. I had to pony up an extra $52 per month to get CBSSN, the Fox channels, and ESPN family channels minus ESPN+ which comes with Hulu basic.

I will cancel after Bowl Season.

Right, because either you didn't have a Hulu live subscription or you're talking about old school cable. CBSSN is standard with like every live streaming service. Do you only watch live tv for sports? I feel ya, but considering what I get for my $65, everything but PACnet is covered.