Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The claim is ESPN will keep the payout the same if they expanded to 14 without raiding any ESPN conference.

The leftover eight will still get their 7 mil until the deal expires.

problem is that it is a long deal

56 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

The MWC and AAC contracts are very similar dollar wise. The AACs is just much longer and backloaded. The MWC gets a new contact much sooner and may surpass the AAC in a couple years.  If you take a ten year rolling average starting about now, you will see why it didn't make sense for Colorado State or Air Force to leave-- if a bigger payout was their goal.

Signing on for 2 mill a year for 12 years or so is weird to me.  But desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess.  Also remaining at 7 mil a year for a contract of that length is a poor deal.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

The only thing that I see Charlotte having is a good TV market. Rice only has academics. If this forces us not to encroach upon Texas then I suppose it is a good move for the AAC but Rice just adds dead weight.

Yeah, adding Charlotte seems like a truly strange move. North Carolina has more FBS football programs than any state other than Texas. (Well, technically NC is tied with Florida and California, but both states are far more populous than NC.) So it is already an extremely crowded market. And in my experience, Charlotte is completely invisible in NC. The local TV stations focus primarily on UNC and NC State. However, ECU and Appalachian have a significant following in the eastern and western portions of the state, so typically at least the highlights of their games will make the local news. But I don't think I have ever seen highlights (or even scores) for a UNC-Charlotte game. If I didn't follow college football, I wouldn't even know that they have a team. It's also an extreme commuter school for students who couldn't get in to UNC or NC State (or Wilmington or Appalachian, for that matter). If their students pay attention to sports at all, most likely they are cheering for UNC and completely unaware that their own school has a football team. And it's in a city where there is competition from not only both the ACC and the SEC but also the Panthers. I have a hard time imagining any scenario where anyone will ever care about UNC-Charlotte.

I'm not sure why the AAC decided to expand in NC when they already have a presence there. But if they wanted an additional presence in NC, Appalachian seems like a far better choice than Charlotte. Yes, Boone is far smaller than Charlotte, but Appalachian has an actual fan base and has historically fielded competitive teams. I see plenty of UNC/NC State fans who will turn on an Appalachian game if nothing more interesting is on the TV. I have never seen anyone do that for a Charlotte game. I'm not a TV executive, but this seems like a very strange move. I have a hard time imagining that Appalachian told them no given that it would have meant significantly more money, but I really can't understand why anyone would think that Charlotte is a better option than Appalachian.

4 hours ago, thedude15 said:

I think in general Texas schools are ALWAYS going to go east unless the gap is massive. Don't get me wrong I think the MWC is above this new AAC BUT it is not some massive gap. I still remember when TCU left the WAC for a much lesser CUSA. 

Guessing UTSA was always going to take a AAC invite over a MW invite. So unless the AAC was dumb and didn't invite the Texas schools they wanted in the first go around there was zero shot the MW was getting them. 

Well, I think the AAC was still dumb. Charlotte and Rice just don’t make the conference better, and I seriously doubt they add value from a TV standpoint. Only way this makes sense to me is if ESPN wanted them to add 6 schools instead of 4, for whatever reason.

Also I find it interesting that for all the deserved attention the SBC has gotten for organically improving and outperforming CUSA, the AAC is taking exactly zero SBC schools. I am pretty sure CUSA’s tv deal still pays more then the SBC, so I wouldn’t be shocked if CUSA is STILL able to poach some SBC schools. 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well, I think the AAC was still dumb. Charlotte and Rice just don’t make the conference better, and I seriously doubt they add value from a TV standpoint. Only way this makes sense to me is if ESPN wanted them to add 6 schools instead of 4, for whatever reason.

Also I find it interesting that for all the deserved attention the SBC has gotten for organically improving and outperforming CUSA, the AAC is taking exactly zero SBC schools. I am pretty sure CUSA’s tv deal still pays more then the SBC, so I wouldn’t be shocked if CUSA is STILL able to poach some SBC schools. 

I could see the Sunbelt renegotiating their TV contract after these shenanigans and I think it would behoove them to expand as well. If they added JMU, ODU, Marshall and USM they arguably would be a stronger Conference then the AAC and definitely better then C-USA.

4 hours ago, Spot50B said:

Sun Belt is a better conference top to bottom. Better footprint. Maybe they take Marshall.

Yea that doesn’t really matter. I am pretty sure CUSA still makes more TV money, and money talks. If the top 2-4 schools leave the SBC for CUSA then bingo bango now CUSA is better “top to bottom”. Remember, CUSA didn’t lose their top 6 programs, they lost 3 of their best programs, but also shed one of their worst, Charlotte who is usually bad, and UNT who has mostly been middle of the road.  

21 minutes ago, Billings said:

problem is that it is a long deal

It probably looks pretty good for the leftovers who think they'll be gone in a few years.

Because the deal goes to 2032, it kind of makes sense ESPN would let them keep the dollars with the understanding they will expand to 14. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

31 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

I could see the Sunbelt renegotiating their TV contract after these shenanigans and I think it would behoove them to expand as well. If they added JMU, ODU, Marshall and USM they arguably would be a stronger Conference then the AAC and definitely better then C-USA.

If the Belt adds those four, it's RIP to C-USA.

40 minutes ago, Billings said:

Signing on for 2 mill a year for 12 years or so is weird to me.  But desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess.  Also remaining at 7 mil a year for a contract of that length is a poor deal.

Exactly.  Meanwhile we're due for a pay increase in just five years.  Things could change of course but right now it sure looks like the MWC will be perfectly positioned in 2025 to cherry-pick whichever two AAC schools in Texas that our network partners tell us offer the most TV value.

12 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Exactly.  Meanwhile we're due for a pay increase in just five years.  Things could change of course but right now it sure looks like the MWC will be perfectly positioned in 2025 to cherry-pick whichever two AAC schools in Texas that our network partners tell us offer the most TV value.

Biggest thing we need to do in the meantime is make sure we get the NY6 every year.

Besides Temple...

FAU, USF, North Texas, SMU, Memphis, UAB, Rice, Tulsa, ECU, Charlotte. Looks a lot like C-USA to me.

What did Southern Miss do to be deserted by everyone?

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Sounds like ESPN is controlling this.  ESPN may not have wanted the AAC to poach from the SBC because they too are under contract with ESPN until 2031.  That would suck for those SBC schools if that is what kept them out of consideration.  Can ESPN really have that much control?

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Besides Temple...

FAU, USF, North Texas, SMU, Memphis, UAB, Rice, Tulsa, ECU, Charlotte. Looks a lot like C-USA to me.

What did Southern Miss do to be deserted by everyone?

Not be in a good TV market.

6 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

Sounds like ESPN is controlling this.  ESPN may not have wanted the AAC to poach from the SBC because they too are under contract with ESPN until 2031.  That would suck for those SBC schools if that is what kept them out of consideration.  Can ESPN really have that much control?

Yes ESPN has that much control, ESPN would not one of their conferences to raid another conference because that would hurt TV deals. They are like a little cartel, if I was Sun Belt I would be on the phone talking to ESPN right now asking about TV and if they want them to make a deal. 

Things could get real bad for C-USA. Let's say ESPN then gets on the phone with MAC and says we will give you a little bit more money if you add these two teams from C-USA and they do. Boom C-USA could be done and a competitor to ESPN is injured

11 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

Also who do you think was behind Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC?

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea that doesn’t really matter. I am pretty sure CUSA still makes more TV money, and money talks. If the top 2-4 schools leave the SBC for CUSA then bingo bango now CUSA is better “top to bottom”. Remember, CUSA didn’t lose their top 6 programs, they lost 3 of their best programs, but also shed one of their worst, Charlotte who is usually bad, and UNT who has mostly been middle of the road.  

Late last year I read that the CUSA got $436,000 per school from all TV sources put together.  That was less than I expected but I have not heard what the Sun Belt makes.  Does anyone know?  It does not make a hell of a lot of difference but I would just like to know. It was not on the SB web site.