Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

13 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

So just Texas St and UTEP only options for the MW?

I’d still take them.  Texas St in a good conference will be able to grow well.  They already invested their arena.

I've thought for at least a year that given Texas State's superior facilities, it's the tallest midget among the available schools from that state anyway.

UTEP? Meh, but they at least have decent basketball and who knows? Maybe adding the Minors would help the MW get the Sun Bowl somehow. To me, UTEP really should come down to whether they would move the needle on a new TV deal. Adding them certainly wouldn't increase the amplifier volume to 11 (although some of this conference's clueless presidents might think so) but even one notch higher would help.

shit.

Our options have narrowed to UTEP and the NewMags.

The MW should make a pre-emptive strike and make a better offer to UNT and UTSA

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

thats a bunch of schools lol

So thats just UTEP as the only decent option left in Texas. Unless the MW goes after like Texas State...

at this point I'd vote for no expansion. But if Colorado St/AFA really want Texas schools thats where the situation is. See where Witchita State/Gonzaga are and if not then see where the landscape is in a few seasons

3 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

thats a bunch of schools lol

So that means North Texas, and UTEP are probably the only options left in Texas. Unless the MW goes after like Texas State...

at this point I'd vote for no expansion. But if Colorado St/AFA really want Texas schools thats where the situation is

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

Aresco is doing the MWC a favor.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Damn. Adding four schools would have basically forced them to go East or west, but adding 6 let’s them do both. Clearly a way to preempt the MWC from encroaching in to Texas. 

But adding Rice and Charlotte was just dumb IMO. If you really want to go with 6 schools then drop those two and add Marshall and Coastal Carolina. 

Losing out on UTSA and UNT sucks, but them adding some crap schools is a net positive for the MWC, IMO.

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Damn. Adding four schools would have basically forced them to go East or west, but adding 6 let’s them do both. Clearly a way to preempt the MWC from encroaching in to Texas. 

But adding Rice and Charlotte was just dumb IMO. If you really want to go with 6 schools then drop those two and add Marshall and Coastal Carolina.

I think in general Texas schools are ALWAYS going to go east unless the gap is massive. Don't get me wrong I think the MWC is above this new AAC BUT it is not some massive gap. I still remember when TCU left the WAC for a much lesser CUSA. 

Guessing UTSA was always going to take a AAC invite over a MW invite. So unless the AAC was dumb and didn't invite the Texas schools they wanted in the first go around there was zero shot the MW was getting them. 

4 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I think in general Texas schools are ALWAYS going to go east unless the gap is massive. Don't get me wrong I think the MWC is above this new AAC BUT it is not some massive gap. I still remember when TCU left the WAC for a much lesser CUSA. 

Except the CUSA of the time was superior to the leftover, post-MWC WAC.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Show who does the CUSA invite? Also does the Sun Belt make a power play and expand at all (either taken someone from weaken CUSA or another option).

UTEP is on a pretty big island in the CUSA. I guess the CUSA could just take some of the WAC Texas schools (aren't they moving up to fbs at some point). Or just give UTEP a partner in New Mexico State. 

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

Except the CUSA of the time was superior to the leftover, post-MWC WAC.

Not in football. Three out of four years TCU was in the CUSA the WAC was better. If TCU would have stayed the gap would have been even bigger.

Don't get me wrong the CUSA had markets/teams that would end up in big conferences in the future. BUT in the moment on the field the WAC was still better. 

6 minutes ago, tahoe84 said:

This move by the AAC may open the door to Wichita and maybe SMU for the MW? We’ll see how the move is perceived by them…

Only way we get either is if the AAC is friendly with the buyouts. Maybe they are nice to Wichita State and work something out with them (I doubt it). But there is literally zero reason for them not to demand the full buyout from SMU if they try to leave for the MW.