Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

406bleedsblue

Anyone else hunt and fish?

11 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Never knew that they mate for life, we see some trios and wonder if it's a baby that hasn't left on its own or a widowed bird.

The young usually spend about 14 months with the parents and leave right before the new eggs arrive.  Guessing you are seeing birds that have lost their mate and just want company.

Cranes are so cool.  Oldest living species of bird on the planet I believe.  Spring camping is my favorite time of year (too cold, keeps the riff raff out) so since my youth I have always identified the sand hill crane with the return of camping and fishing.  Definitely the bird on my totem.

2 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

As much as I like to hunt, I'm just not sure that I could bring myself to shoot a crane. Not that I think they're majestic or anything, they just don't seem that appealing. 

I can’t hunt in general, just don’t like killing things.  But I’ll gladly eat it. 

What I love about fly fishing, the release.  

This is yesterday’s Pyramid Pig, caught by my younger son. Says it was 18 lbs, and fought like a tiger. Took him into his backing 5-6 times and fought for 20 minutes. He said his hands were numb by the time he landed it, and not from the cold (in the 60’s yesterday).

image.jpeg.5763cafb1aa8f27cf0e9fd16cc30417c.jpeg

On 10/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, Bob said:

I like trout filleted, breaded (crushed town house cracker, garlic salt and pepper, paprika, a little bit of green herbs), egg wash of course, and sauteed. Those are big 'bows. well done!

I love the breaded fillets... I always put a little Old Bay in there, fry them in butter. But lately I've actually been doing this thing where I grill them with a little smoke, and stuff the cavity with sliced lime, sprigs of cilantro and white onions, with some butter in there, after covering with whatever seasoning I'm feeling at the moment. It turns out pretty dang good. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Best burger I ever ate and probably will ever eat was some (unknown to me) combination of bear and elk hamburger that came from game my cousin hunted.

Do they have to add pork fat or something to that. I've heard that bear and elk are very lean meats, and it seem sit would cut the margin of error pretty thin when grilling a big fat burger. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, Rocket said:

cute lake davis?

No, it's Pinecrest Lake, up Highway 108 east of Sonora. It's basically the same kind of place though ... about 5,500 feet elevation in the Sierras.

I very, very rarely ever go there in the summer because of how crowded it gets. That place is a mad house on summer weekends anymore and the fishing pressure is crazy, and while I generally can do pretty well in the region, success in the summer is basically a crap shoot depending on the planting schedule.

But October is a great time to get up there because the lake is below the cabin docs, the water is colder at the top and it's generally pretty empty. Pretty much guaranteed to catch a few rainbows if you have any clue what you're doing. Not a place I would go for my own kicks, as I prefer the streams, but a great place for the little ones if you want to make sure they get a couple on the line. 

On 10/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

On 10/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dumb.  I love Sandhill Cranes.  I seem to have a knack for running into them.  

There's a grassland reserve in Lodi that my mother-in-law has dragged me to during the right time of year. Not a hunting reserve, as far as I know, but more frequented by bird watchers. There were more of them in the adjacent fields than on the reserve that day, as far as I could tell. I think they had recently harvested so there was a bunch of corn and leftovers of whatever else that the birds were feasting on. 

There are actually a number of grassland reserves in the Central Valley that are pretty cool to visit anytime except for the summer.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, smltwnrckr said:

No, it's Pinecrest Lake, up Highway 108 east of Sonora. It's basically the same kind of place though ... about 5,500 feet elevation in the Sierras.

I very, very rarely ever go there in the summer because of how crowded it gets. That place is a mad house on summer weekends anymore and the fishing pressure is crazy, and while I generally can do pretty well in the region, success in the summer is basically a crap shoot depending on the planting schedule.

But October is a great time to get up there because the lake is below the cabin docs, the water is colder at the top and it's generally pretty empty. Pretty much guaranteed to catch a few rainbows if you have any clue what you're doing. Not a place I would go for my own kicks, as I prefer the streams, but a great place for the little ones if you want to make sure they get a couple on the line. 

we used to go there every summer and sometimes in the winter👍🏻

If anyone is looking for some fly fishing gear for Christmas my favorite shop 239flies.com is doing a $20 gift card for every $100 spent.  Runs now through midnight on cyber Monday.  

Time to order the 7wt Sector and Tibor Everglades.   

21 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

If anyone is looking for some fly fishing gear for Christmas my favorite shop 239flies.com is doing a $20 gift card for every $100 spent.  Runs now through midnight on cyber Monday.  

Time to order the 7wt Sector and Tibor Everglades.   

I've been wanting to get into fly fishing but haven't taken the time to learn yet. Maybe I'll look into that's site, buy some gear and force myself into taking the time.

8 minutes ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I've been wanting to get into fly fishing but haven't taken the time to learn yet. Maybe I'll look into that's site, buy some gear and force myself into taking the time.

I’d take a look and then just call the shop, let them walk you through the beginner steps.  It’s a solid shop, they’ll take really good care of you.  If you can, get the owner Nick on the phone.