Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

406bleedsblue

Anyone else hunt and fish?

7 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

Just put the turkey in the smoker. I am curious how it will turn out. I've never had wild turkey.

20211018_112734.jpg

Much drier than a butterball… slightly different taste but good nonetheless.  Hunted and harvested a lot of turkeys growing up in Wyoming and going to college in Nebraska.

id actually love to see pictures of the animals you’ve harvested!

15 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Much drier than a butterball… slightly different taste but good nonetheless.  Hunted and harvested a lot of turkeys growing up in Wyoming and going to college in Nebraska.

id actually love to see pictures of the animals you’ve harvested!

We brined it for 24hrs and then smoked it breast down at 225 for 4hrs. It ended being the most juicy turkey we've ever had. The juices poured out of it while I was carving it. We will definitely hunt these in the future. 

Resized_20211016_154629.jpeg

I used to hunt a bit when I was younger for rabbit, pheasant, ducks and deer, but haven't been for something like 20 years.

I still enjoy fishing, but don't do it nearly as much as I would like. The past several years, mostly have gone a couple of times per summer to Flaming Gorge on the Utah/Wyoming border, where we catch Kokanee, Rainbow trout, Lake trout and occasionally Bass. Usually go for the Kokanee, as I like eating those the best. My son ( now 14 ) has caught a couple of good sized ( 10lb+ ) lake  trout there over the past couple of years, which was really cool to see him so excited.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

2 hours ago, Mano said:

I used to hunt a bit when I was younger for rabbit, pheasant, ducks and deer, but haven't been for something like 20 years.

I still enjoy fishing, but don't do it nearly as much as I would like. The past several years, mostly have gone a couple of times per summer to Flaming Gorge on the Utah/Wyoming border, where we catch Kokanee, Rainbow trout, Lake trout and occasionally Bass. Usually go for the Kokanee, as I like eating those the best. My son ( now 14 ) has caught a couple of good sized ( 10lb+ ) lake  trout there over the past couple of years, which was really cool to see him so excited.

I have an on going job in Dutch John, UT. I've never had the time to fish there but some of my guys have. They always seem to have good luck with trout there.

2 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I have an on going job in Dutch John, UT. I've never had the time to fish there but some of my guys have. They always seem to have good luck with trout there.

My wife's family has a place in Manilla that we stay at. Fishing in general was really good, until this year. It seems the heat and the low water level have made the fishing suck - I was hearing this from all the locals I spoke with as well. Even though the fishing sucked, it was still nice to get out on the lake, it is beautiful country. Love taking drives down Sheep Creek canyon early in the morning, often see Bighorn sheep, antelope, wild turkeys, etc. Occasionally we venture down to Spirit Lake or Brownie Lake and fish from the shore. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

11 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

We brined it for 24hrs and then smoked it breast down at 225 for 4hrs. It ended being the most juicy turkey we've ever had. The juices poured out of it while I was carving it. We will definitely hunt these in the future. 

Does it taste gamey? There are wild turkey all over Sacramento. I secretly want to axe one and see what it tastes like. :) They walk around like geese.

I used to hunt as a younger dude. But I don’t like venison. I think it tastes like crap. Same with duck. So I love hunting but since I don’t like the meat I’m down with the camping. Btw. This was in Somersett this September. The freegin deer are domesticated. 

5345644A-F6A7-4514-A7B4-6EF2F1926EFC.jpeg

12 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Does it taste gamey? There are wild turkey all over Sacramento. I secretly want to axe one and see what it tastes like. :) They walk around like geese.

I used to hunt as a younger dude. But I don’t like venison. I think it tastes like crap. Same with duck. So I love hunting but since I don’t like the meat I’m down with the camping. Btw. This was in Somersett this September. The freegin deer are domesticated. 

This used to be a familiar sight in my backyard. The oldest trees in my orchard were about 8 years old with most considerably younger when these big bastards started coming in in 2010 (September, I remember!). They chewed up plenty of branches on my trees and, worse, the bucks completely limbed up a number of them and also knocked over a few during the annual rut. Ultimately, I had five to six head beating the shit out of things from May-November, so rather than continuing to look like a maniac chasing them up and down the canyons our property is located in (old SW Reno near Hunter Lake and Plum) throwing rocks and plinking them with a shitty, low powered Daisy pump action BB gun, I broke down and built a deer fence around a bit more than 1/2 acre of our property. It took a few years for them to stop strolling along the fence line giving longing looks to my fruit trees, but I haven’t seen a deer in two or three years now. A couple of the bucks were massive, possibly trophy size. I have pictures somewhere.

Your Somerset pics are remnants of the Loyalton herd, no doubt. This is what happens when we build a community of a few thousand homes right across their migratory path.

Did you ever ride the Northgate Trail before Somerset was developed? Great trail, and so different than the mostly up-then-down riding we have in Reno. I miss it. Anyway, I used to see parts of that herd at certain times of year while riding that trail, up to 70-80 head at times. It was quite a sight.

2 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

This used to be a familiar sight in my backyard. The oldest trees in my orchard were about 8 years old with most considerably younger when these big bastards started coming in in 2010 (September, I remember!). They chewed up plenty of branches on my trees and, worse, the bucks completely limbed up a number of them and also knocked over a few during the annual rut. Ultimately, I had five to six head beating the shit out of things from May-November, so rather than continuing to look like a maniac chasing them up and down the canyons our property is located in (old SW Reno near Hunter Lake and Plum) throwing rocks and plinking them with a shitty, low powered Daisy pump action BB gun, I broke down and built a deer fence around a bit more than 1/2 acre of our property. It took a few years for them to stop strolling along the fence line giving longing looks to my fruit trees, but I haven’t seen a deer in two or three years now. A couple of the bucks were massive, possibly trophy size. I have pictures somewhere.

Your Somerset pics are remnants of the Loyalton herd, no doubt. This is what happens when we build a community of a few thousand homes right across their migratory path.

Did you ever ride the Northgate Trail before Somerset was developed? Great trail, and so different than the mostly up-then-down riding we have in Reno. I miss it. Anyway, I used to see parts of that herd at certain times of year while riding that trail, up to 70-80 head at times. It was quite a sight.

I did. I also ride the northgate bike park. It’s boring but better than nothing. There are still a sneaky ton of deer in this area. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I did. I also ride the northgate bike park. It’s boring but better than nothing. There are still a sneaky ton of deer in this area. 

I enjoy Sierra Vista Bike Park, but it could do with more jump lines and swoopy berm to jump transition trails, if they can find a place for them. I know there is more stuff planned for the park. I like to run a few laps and then take the new trail connecting SVP to the Las Brisas trail and then up onto the rest of Peavine: so many choices at that point from a tidy 5 mile loop then back to the car to an epic 25+ miler connecting any number of trails plus many options for loops in between those extremes. I rarely do rides like a big vert 25 mile+ these days, just takes too much out of these old bones, but I like knowing that choice is there.

15 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Somebody did something wrong when cooking that venison 

I've never hunted on land, but my childhood neighbor was an avid hunter and served up lightly seared venison with a fancy cracked pepper.  It was fcking phenomenal, I would ask if he had any every time we came over.

Just to get this thread back on track, these are from trip in late May, 2021. Looking to revisit this area in eastern Nevada again next spring. We had a pretty large group camping out there, mostly 20-somethings from my younger son’s circle of friends. Everybody caught lots of fish, several larger than the first photo. I included the second pic of me because the tiger trout, while not all that large, has such beautiful coloring.

The final pic just makes me laugh. When the fishing is so good you decide to take a nap while still dangling your fly, because you don’t really care if you hook up…but you might, so why not?

979E3F15-79D5-4A53-B7B2-6103E57C6682.jpeg

A52DC213-0D18-4BDD-B621-55E6CAB393F1.jpeg

BFD6B56C-5772-4EEF-9CB1-62B5CB73D245.jpeg

D068E41C-244D-46D5-93B2-554386F85F4C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Just to get this thread back on track, these are from trip in late May, 2021. Looking to revisit this area in eastern Nevada again next spring. We had a pretty large group camping out there, mostly 20-somethings from my younger son’s circle of friends. Everybody caught lots of fish, several larger than the first photo. I included the second pic of me because the tiger trout, while not all that large, has such beautiful coloring.

The final pic just makes me laugh. When the fishing is so good you decide to take a nap while still dangling your fly, because you don’t really care if you hook up…but you might, so why not?

Ruby Marsh? or whatever it’s called? Although you’re catching trout so maybe not???

I sight fish which is essentially hunting, I have a private little flat on Sanibel where I can wade out and the fish swim like they're on a bowling alley at the right tides.  Also fish Mosquito Lagoon, have two days with a guide on Monday and Tuesday, same thing hunting for fish.

Trying to start fishing more internationally, Belize, Mexico, Cuba and the Bahamas, but the 'Rona has put that on hold - shit haven't even gotten to the Keys since moving back to Florida.

7 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

The spots on that rainbow are fcking nuts, looks like a NZ fish.

Also, nice tiger!

29 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Ruby Marsh? or whatever it’s called? Although you’re catching trout so maybe not???

Ruby Lake is the official name, but it’s as much of a marsh as it is a lake outside of a few open areas. There are plenty of bass around, even caught a large mouth out of one of the holes we fished pretty hard, but most are further out into the lake/marsh in shallower water. We didn’t bother to search them out because the trout are the real prize, as there are scads of 18-20” fish parked in some of these holes with plenty of bigger fish among them. It’s actually difficult to catch a small fish (~12”). It’s really beautiful out there, but it’s remote, so there are rarely many folks vying with you for the fish.

34 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

The spots on that rainbow are fcking nuts, looks like a NZ fish.

Also, nice tiger!

Yeah, the vermiculations look a lot more like a tiger than a rainbow, but I’m told they can’t interbreed, so it’s just a weird looking beast. The guy at my local fly shop thought it was ugly, but I think it looks cool. And it fought so damn hard! It ripped off a couple of 100’ runs and several shorter sprints before I finally got it into the net.

5 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Yeah, the vermiculations look a lot more like a tiger than a rainbow, but I’m told they can’t interbreed, so it’s just a weird looking beast. The guy at my local fly shop thought it was ugly, but I think it looks cool. And it fought so damn hard! It ripped off a couple of 100’ runs and several shorter sprints before I finally got it into the net.

Guy at the fly shop is nuts.  That's a beautiful looking fish.

15 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Fly shop bro’ is probably too busy thinking about fishing Patagonia.  

On 10/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, 406bleedsblue said:

Saw a flock of them on the job site today.  Wished I'd brought my shotgun...  only slightly kidding.

IMG-20211020-WA0000.jpeg