Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Lost my dog today

23 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I lost my dog today.  He went on walks with me when my wife couldn’t and most of my friends were Trump fanatics.  It was a tough time and he absolutely helped me get through it.   

FBF27F37-9DD8-445E-84DC-BE9715F82335.jpeg

Really sorry to hear that. It’s a such shame that dogs can’t live longer.  I know that some don’t like getting another dog while mourning the one they lost, but when I lose a close pet, I go down to the pound and save one on death row. So in death, my pet saved the life of another. 

My dad is 90, and I’ve never seen or heard about him crying except for one time. He was super close to a Collie he had for years, and when he took him in to put him down, as he was walking out in to the lobby, he just lost it and had to sit down for a while and the staff didn’t want him trying to drive like that. He told me about it and that’s how I know. The bonds with pets can be pretty amazing. 

kat.jpg

9 hours ago, 702Canary said:

Hang in there bud.  I actually do senior dog hospice rescue now and have had to put more than a few down. On a personal note.  The way I learned to deal with the sorrow is by getting another dog in need.  I view it as a gift of life from the previous dog.  One door closes, another one opens.  Every time I look at the new dog that I adopted or fostered, I know that they wouldn't have been saved without the passing of the previous dog.  Not sure if that makes any sense in written words.  If my boy Tosh didn't pass away in Jan (shepherd) I never would have been able to foster Tark (bulldog).  When you're ready perhaps go down to your shelter and find a poor soul to save. 

Tosh Park 6311 (2017_09_14 19_01_21 UTC).jpg

601855995_20210701_1717162.jpg

Yeah thanks….  My wife’s a vet and that is exactly our model.   And you are correct another one will come along to be loved.  Rocco will always have a special place though even among the many.  

Just a note to say thank you all for your support.  We will absolutely be getting whatever new dog God chooses to put in our path.   My wife is a vet so we usually find one hard to place.   

Rocco was a bit special to me and I appreciate all the kind words and suggestions.

We got a Doberman puppy a few days ago.. I’m not really ready to bond with another dog right now but I’m sure it will come in time. The energy of a puppy in the house has been good for the kids so I suppose it’s for the best. Wife and kids name him Wimpy, which should be funny when he’s a scary looking adult.

F32CE54E-EE7C-4F33-84C5-EAB09A320284.jpeg

11 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

We got a Doberman puppy a few days ago.. I’m not really ready to bond with another dog right now but I’m sure it will come in time. The energy of a puppy in the house has been good for the kids so I suppose it’s for the best. Wife and kids name him Wimpy, which should be funny when he’s a scary looking adult.

F32CE54E-EE7C-4F33-84C5-EAB09A320284.jpeg

Gorgeous dog.

28 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

We’ve had three golden retrievers. It’s never easy when they go. We’re on our fourth now who is four years old. We have a tight bond. I’m hoping I can out live her. 

How long have your Goldens lived? We have a two year old right now. My parents' last one lived to be 14, but I understand that's relatively old for the breed. 

This thread seems as god a place as any to post the "why" that keeps me going.

I used to prioritize family, but honestly, the longer I've known them the less I've come to like them. So for the past three years my "why" has been to open a 501c3 veterinary clinic with a $30 million budget over 25 years to provide free veterinary care to people who love their animal companions as much s we love our own but cannot afford to provide them the care that they need. I will rest like Thanos after a good snap once that shit is done.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg