Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Little know Cross country coach at a Fresno CC leads Most of Boston Marathon

12 hours ago, robe said:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2021/10/11/boston-marathon-2021-top-moments/

good story. I always wanted to qualify for the Boston not sure I ever will.

I wouldn’t qualify on a motorcycle.  But I used to work with a former yBu scholarship cross country runner who has qualified and run the Boston multiple times.  

1 hour ago, rebelcuff said:

I was a couple minutes off. I've done four of them, but my body can't take the pounding anymore.

I've done two and I agree with you, they're a killer on the knees. I'm old and stick to 10 K's now.

Kudos to Fresno's CC coach. 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:34 PM, rebelcuff said:

I was a couple minutes off. I've done four of them, but my body can't take the pounding anymore.

Congrats that is awesome. At this point I just want to run one. Not sure that will even happen. My Achilles just can’t handle much running anymore. I ran a 5:48 mile this summer which was a huge goal to break a 6 minute mile one last time.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

I’ve been to a number of marathons but never ran one. The environment are amazing. KC marathon has entertainment every 5 miles and race pacers to help qualify. 

I feel like they are underselling his history a bit.  The dude had a solid college career at ASU.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/track-and-field/roster/cj-albertson/3604

He's also put in some massive weeks of training this year. Only averaging 80 miles per week which isn't too extreme, but he's got some peaks in the training as high as 140 miles in a week. 

image.png.14fc8a295614cbbed2a02e7e0f4307e4.png

He probably could have had a shot at winning had he not gone out 2 minutes faster than the field in the first 10k. 

Benson Kipruto ran some pretty extreme negative splits to win though. (1:06:21 first half followed by a 1:03:30).

On 10/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, robe said:

Congrats that is awesome. At this point I just want to run one. Not sure that will even happen. My Achilles just can’t handle much running anymore. I ran a 5:48 mile this summer which was a huge goal to break a 6 minute mile one last time.

Wow. That’s impressive. I’m happy to break a 9:00 mile these days. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:28 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

I feel like they are underselling his history a bit.  The dude had a solid college career at ASU.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/track-and-field/roster/cj-albertson/3604

He's also put in some massive weeks of training this year. Only averaging 80 miles per week which isn't too extreme, but he's got some peaks in the training as high as 140 miles in a week. 

image.png.14fc8a295614cbbed2a02e7e0f4307e4.png

He probably could have had a shot at winning had he not gone out 2 minutes faster than the field in the first 10k. 

Benson Kipruto ran some pretty extreme negative splits to win though. (1:06:21 first half followed by a 1:03:30).

It’s mind boggling to think some can run that fast. 4:44 at mile 23!? 😳

8 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s mind boggling to think some can run that fast. 4:44 at mile 23!? 😳

Kipchoge averaged 4:34 for a marathon.  I like to tell myself I could run that fast if only I were 5'-6" and 115 pounds... and could run 110 miles per week consistently for decades without getting injured. 

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Kipchoge averaged 4:34 for a marathon.  I like to tell myself I could run that fast if only I were 5'-6" and 115 pounds... and could run 110 miles per week consistently for decades without getting injured. 

Yeah. I’m about 6’ and 185lbs. I used to hate running (except after a ball) but then realized in my 30s that I would either learn to run or gain a ton of weight. My best time in a half is just over 1:45. I think I was like 50th of 90 in my age group. 😂 I waddle more than I “run” these days. 

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Yeah. I’m about 6’ and 185lbs. I used to hate running (except after a ball) but then realized in my 30s that I would either learn to run or gain a ton of weight. My best time in a half is just over 1:45. I think I was like 50th of 90 in my age group. 😂 I waddle more than I “run” these days. 

You would kill me in the half marathon. I’d have to get a giant lead and try to hold on. At least with your 1:45 half marathon.