Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Happy First Day of Stone Crab Season!!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten Stone Crab. My favorite is Dungeness, but I can’t say I’ve eaten a wide variety. I remember an excellent meal of Blue Crab when I was 10 and lived in the DC metro area for a couple of years, but I couldn’t accurately compare that to Dungeness, which we consume several times a year in great quantity when we decide to eat a slow social meal with family/friends. It takes a long time to pick over a whole crab.

I’ve not been impressed with the King Crab I’ve eaten, but it may have been long frozen or otherwise poorly handled before it was on my plate, though I’ve eaten it several times, so maybe it’s bland and I’m spoiled by Dungeness, which is pretty easy to get super fresh out west from just about now through late winter, so I’m rarely disappointed unless they managed to get too much salt into the water when processing them for retail. 

I’ll be in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. I’ll keep my eyes open for stone crab.

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

My favorite day of the year.  

I nearly stepped on one of these fckers while wading a grass flat barefoot west of Key West. 

ADC4A5FD-E450-4B13-AFA2-D2C40CB9D09C.jpeg

Will be in St.Augustine on Sunday and Monday. Any recommendations for restaurants that may have stone crab?

18 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Will be in St.Augustine on Sunday and Monday. Any recommendations for restaurants that may have stone crab?

Let me ask around, I can give restaurant recommendations but haven’t been there during stone crab season.  

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Crab is a pain in the ass to try to eat unless someone else picks the meat out for you. 

Stone crab is easy, you just have to be good at it.  Heavy metal spoon and a dish towel, most important is the Key lime mustard.  

2 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Can we get a special east of the Mississippi blog for all these flatlanders to share their "slice of life" posts?

I'm sick of my sovcit hot takes getting 2nd paged.

The rest of us aren’t. 

17 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten Stone Crab. My favorite is Dungeness, but I can’t say I’ve eaten a wide variety. I remember an excellent meal of Blue Crab when I was 10 and lived in the DC metro area for a couple of years, but I couldn’t accurately compare that to Dungeness, which we consume several times a year in great quantity when we decide to eat a slow social meal with family/friends. It takes a long time to pick over a whole crab.

I’ve not been impressed with the King Crab I’ve eaten, but it may have been long frozen or otherwise poorly handled before it was on my plate, though I’ve eaten it several times, so maybe it’s bland and I’m spoiled by Dungeness, which is pretty easy to get super fresh out west from just about now through late winter, so I’m rarely disappointed unless they managed to get too much salt into the water when processing them for retail. 

I’ll be in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. I’ll keep my eyes open for stone crab.

I won't eat stone crab unless I'm in Florida, I learned that lesson when I first moved to Key West.

In Chicago you'll pay $70lb for jumbo (which I believe they now call colossal) and the meat won't release from the cartilage, it will frail.  That is from over exposure to dry ice while it's being shipped, also it changes the flavor.

I would stick to oysters, shrimp, redfish and gumbo while in New Orleans.  If you're feeling adventurous drive down to the bayou and hit up an oyster boat, they'll charge you $50 for a giant bag of oysters.

16 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I asked around and honestly don't know, there's a little seafood shack called Kyle's Seafood that would likely have them but you would end up eating them back at the hotel.  Which to me would be totally fine.

If I'm in St Augustine I'm getting reservations at Black Fly, we also did Forgotten Tonic which was great other than their bourbon menu that was missing quite a few selections.

20 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I asked around and honestly don't know, there's a little seafood shack called Kyle's Seafood that would likely have them but you would end up eating them back at the hotel.  Which to me would be totally fine.

If I'm in St Augustine I'm getting reservations at Black Fly, we also did Forgotten Tonic which was great other than their bourbon menu that was missing quite a few selections.

Thanks for the tips.  What's your opinion of Prohibition? 

9 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Thanks for the tips.  What's your opinion of Prohibition? 

We walked by it, it looks pretty touristy and better fit for a lunch spot if you must.  I believe they are also supposed to have a decent bourbon selection.  That area is pretty touristy but keep your eyes open as there are some really cool shops hidden in a mix of t-shirt trash shops.  There’s this one store that everything is made with honey, next to that there’s a great hot  sauce store which around the corner from that there’s this funky little charcuterie store.  

Also, don’t forget to hit Buc-ee’s gas station - and make sure you’re hungry.  And yes, I bought the Buc-ee’s onesie.   

11 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

We walked by it, it looks pretty touristy and better fit for a lunch spot if you must.  I believe they are also supposed to have a decent bourbon selection.  That area is pretty touristy but keep your eyes open as there are some really cool shops hidden in a mix of t-shirt trash shops.  There’s this one store that everything is made with honey, next to that there’s a great hot  sauce store which around the corner from that there’s this funky little charcuterie store.  

Also, don’t forget to hit Buc-ee’s gas station - and make sure you’re hungry.  And yes, I bought the Buc-ee’s onesie.   

:thumbsup: Appreciate ya!