Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Can a Republican Governor be this stupid?

6 hours ago, WYO1016 said:

I feel this. My great-great grandparents were an arranged marriage between the children of the largest slave importer and largest slave auctioner in the US. Not something I'm at all proud of.

You're not responsible for your ancestor's indiscretions, but appreciate you posting this.  A pretty crazy scenario for your family tree there..

12 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Correct. But the St. Louis Dispatch did the right thing here. The governor is apparently hostile to the First Amendment.

And hostile to the privacy rights of the people in his state.  What should have happened is the dumbshit should have sent this to the state CISO and said fix it pronto before others find it.   

Instead he is competing with Tommy Tuberville for the dumbest politician in the country.  

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

And hostile to the privacy rights of the people in his state.  What should have happened is the dumbshit should have sent this to the state CISO and said fix it pronto before others find it.   

Instead he is competing with Tommy Tuberville for the dumbest politician in the country.  

Agreed, though I don't know how much good that would have done. Said CISO (well ex-CISO now because he left last week) is an arrogant and ignorant moron that I've had the misfortune of being on many calls with. 

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Come on.  I guarantee CA IT doesn’t have this problem and in this state no elected official of either party would say something that dumb.  

You would be wrong, old mainframes are bought up for the State of California for parts:

The agency's computer system relies on COBOL, a 60-year-old programming language that many state IT employees don't even know anymore, 71 state lawmakers said in a letter to Newsom last week. 

"Because of the vast network of rules, regulations and laws that apply to virtually everything in government services, people aren't sure what they're allowed to do, much less what they're supposed to do. Then you get IT department people who are paranoid about introducing anything new," he wrote. "Resisting new technology is the government's default position."

The project will be a good test of the state's nimbleness: It typically takes between a year and 18 months for an IT project to go through the process of defining its scope, soliciting bids and selecting a vendor, LAO's Metzker said. A major project, like EDD's, takes longer: After four years, it still hasn't chosen a vendor.

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/08/22/california-is-the-worlds-tech-capital-but-state-computers-are-failing-residents-1309732

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

You would be wrong, old mainframes are bought up for the State of California for parts:

The agency's computer system relies on COBOL, a 60-year-old programming language that many state IT employees don't even know anymore, 71 state lawmakers said in a letter to Newsom last week. 

"Because of the vast network of rules, regulations and laws that apply to virtually everything in government services, people aren't sure what they're allowed to do, much less what they're supposed to do. Then you get IT department people who are paranoid about introducing anything new," he wrote. "Resisting new technology is the government's default position."

The project will be a good test of the state's nimbleness: It typically takes between a year and 18 months for an IT project to go through the process of defining its scope, soliciting bids and selecting a vendor, LAO's Metzker said. A major project, like EDD's, takes longer: After four years, it still hasn't chosen a vendor.

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/08/22/california-is-the-worlds-tech-capital-but-state-computers-are-failing-residents-1309732

Old doesn’t mean it has security holes.   And yes I am well aware of COBOL.   

45 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

link says "miss"

Miss as in Mississippi, or you never missing a chance to stalk me

Or you are an idiot who didnt bother to read anything.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Old doesn’t mean it has security holes.   And yes I am well aware of COBOL.   

SMH, I will grant you California might be slightly better. You seem like a boomer if you have a good impression of CA IT infrastructure.

110926run_defense710.jpg

10 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

SMH, I will grant you California might be slightly better. You seem like a boomer if you have a good impression of CA IT infrastructure.

Please tell us in detail what you know of California's IT infrastructure. 

Just now, retrofade said:

Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

How would I know the details, I linked an article? You can easily Google articles were state of California buys up old mainframes for parts, a couple years ago I recall reading an article that at DMV they still use green monochrome monitors. I would think that information would be self-evident.

110926run_defense710.jpg

25 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Ok,  you stalk idiots online. What a life...

So you admit to being an idiot.

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

How would I know the details, I linked an article? You can easily Google articles were state of California buys up old mainframes for parts, a couple years ago I recall reading an article that at DMV they still use green monochrome monitors. I would think that information would be self-evident.

I know businesses, successful ones, that still use green monochrome monitors.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

I know businesses, successful ones, that still use green monochrome monitors.

Look at the reputation of California's Department of Motor Vehicles and Employment Development Department.

110926run_defense710.jpg