Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Can a Republican Governor be this stupid?

9 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

SMH, I will grant you California might be slightly better. You seem like a boomer if you have a good impression of CA IT infrastructure.

Close but that isn’t the point.  Mainframe IT infrastructure and HTML security holes are very different.  You might be a boomer if you don’t understand the difference. :waiting:

14 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Look at the reputation of California's Department of Motor Vehicles and Employment Development Department.

I have no freaking idea about either one.  Nor do I particularly care.  There's still a lot of old shit, hardware and software, out there.  And they work.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Close but that isn’t the point.  Mainframe IT infrastructure and HTML security holes are very different.  You might be a boomer if you don’t understand the difference. :waiting:

No one uses mainframes anymore.

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

No one uses mainframes anymore.

Some do if they are running COBOL.

COBOL (/ˈkoʊbɒl, -bɔːl/; an acronym for "common business-oriented language") is a compiled English-like computer programming language designed for business use. ... COBOL is still widely used in applications deployed on mainframe computers, such as large-scale batch and transaction processing jobs.

28 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Some do if they are running COBOL.

COBOL (/ˈkoʊbɒl, -bɔːl/; an acronym for "common business-oriented language") is a compiled English-like computer programming language designed for business use. ... COBOL is still widely used in applications deployed on mainframe computers, such as large-scale batch and transaction processing jobs.

Banks are the only ones running COBOL and that is fading away.  And even then they aren't using mainframes.  Mainframes haven't been in use since the 90's.  Unless you are incorrectly calling a server or super computer a mainframe. 

2 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Banks are the only ones running COBOL and that is fading away.  And even then they aren't using mainframes.  Mainframes haven't been in use since the 90's.  Unless you are incorrectly calling a server or super computer a mainframe. 

Wrong.  Way wrong.

Signed, a COBOL (among other languages) programmer for 33 years who works for a Fortune 50 company (not a bank).

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wrong.  Way wrong.

Signed, a COBOL (among other languages) programmer who works for a Fortune 50 company.

What are you like 65? One of the last few who actually know that language.  Fortran programmer too? Something like 80 to 90% of all lines of cobol in use are banks and some fed agencies.  It's a fading language and most institutions are in a huge scramble to transition away.  I helped Charter purge it from their billing systems.

Just now, HR_Poke said:

What are you like 65? One of the last few who actually know that language.  Fortran programmer too? Something like 80 to 90% of all lines of cobol in use are banks and some fed agencies.  It's a fading language and most institutions are in a huge scramble to transition away.  I helped Charter purge it from their billing systems.

56, actually.  And you continue to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

56, actually.  And you continue to be wrong.

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offence"

It's a junk language that's been dead since the 80's. It's why no one teaches it. Banks came out during the pandemic to plead with cobol programmers not to retire because no one learns, teaches, or uses cobol but them.  Stick to your 3 person department in the back of an IBM broom closet boomer.  Lol cobol...

15 hours ago, sactowndog said:

If California's using mainframe it infrastructure, it's an indication it's not much better than Missouri, possibly worse. There was no excuse for the security hole in Missouri.

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 hours ago, RSF said:

I have no freaking idea about either one.  Nor do I particularly care.  There's still a lot of old shit, hardware and software, out there.  And they work.

Except in California it isn't, lots of articles out there, a lot of people having problems collecting unemployment they rightfully deserve.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offence"

It's a junk language that's been dead since the 80's. It's why no one teaches it. Banks came out during the pandemic to plead with cobol programmers not to retire because no one learns, teaches, or uses cobol but them.  Stick to your 3 person department in the back of an IBM broom closet boomer.  Lol cobol...

Yeah, because Fedex has only 3 programmers.  Never worked in a bank.  Never worked for the government.  And you keep moving the goalposts on who uses mainframes and COBOL.  I've been hearing how both are dying since i got my 1st paycheck.  Guess what?  Hasnt happened yet.  Will eventually.  But it wont happen until after I start tapping my retirement funds.  I have spent the last two years working on the migration of just ONE of our mainframes.  Be at least a decade or more for the rest of them.

So, nice talk, junior.

Idiot.

16 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yeah, because Fedex has only 3 programmers.  Never worked in a bank.  Never worked for the government.  And you keep moving the goalposts on who uses mainframes and COBOL.  I've been hearing how both are dying since i got my 1st paycheck.  Guess what?  Hasnt happened yet.  Will eventually.  But it wont happen until after I start tapping my retirement funds.  I have spent the last two years working on the migration of just ONE of our mainframes.  Be at least a decade or more for the rest of them.

So, nice talk, junior.

Idiot.

43g61a.jpg

Facts can be a bitch...

Mainframes are used by 71% of Fortune 500 companies. Specifically, they use IBM Z systems. In the current Scenario, mainframe computers play an important role in the daily operations of most of the world's largest corporations. While other forms of computing are used extensively in business in various capacities, the mainframe occupies a coveted place in today's e-business environment. there are 10,000 mainframes actively being used around the world.”

And there are 20 banks in the Fortune 500.

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

Facts can be a bitch...

Mainframes are used by 71% of Fortune 500 companies. Specifically, they use IBM Z systems. In the current Scenario, mainframe computers play an important role in the daily operations of most of the world's largest corporations. While other forms of computing are used extensively in business in various capacities, the mainframe occupies a coveted place in today's e-business environment. there are 10,000 mainframes actively being used around the world.”

And there are 20 banks in the Fortune 500.

8e4c76defdc363d20b802b5bc67e99f6fc1e9916eb524d5a40fca441c9d64b47_1.jpg

8 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Haha.  My sister is 55 and was looking to get back into the workforce.  She knew COBOL from Anderson Consulting in the early early 90’s.   I suggested she look for a COBOL job.   Her response.  +++++ No!   Haha. 

7 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

If California's using mainframe it infrastructure, it's an indication it's not much better than Missouri, possibly worse. There was no excuse for the security hole in Missouri.

Dude.   Quit digging a hole.  

I don’t disagree California needs to upgrade some systems which are ancient.   But upgrading old systems is not the same issue as a security hole and paticularly one of embedding SSN’s in public .html code.    

You are talking apples and oranges here.

8 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

56 is an Xer.  Quit being a +++++ing clueless millennial that thinks the world started once Java and .HTML was invented. 

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Dude.   Quit digging a hole.  

I don’t disagree California needs to upgrade some systems which are ancient.   But upgrading old systems is not the same issue as a security hole and paticularly one of embedding SSN’s in public .html code.    

You are talking apples and oranges here.

Of course it is different, but both involve incompetence by the state and its employees.  You and I love a good pissing match, but I would contend to you and @RSFthat homelessness is worse than identity theft.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/these-californians-say-edd-hasnt-paid-their-claims-and-now-they-are-homeless

110926run_defense710.jpg