Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Democrats - Interesting articles

Democrats went too far progressive. I'd venture that 80 percent of their voters don't care about genderfluid/critical race/equity gobbledygook. The base is more worker's rights (and results) oriented. The party became too niche and lost their way, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

all districting should simply be geographically based. you start at the north area of a state and the area of the district extends southwards until you hit your approximate district size, +-3%. that way state districts will look kinda like a upc code

They have to try and respect existing boundaries like munis and counties while also incorporating demographics and population.  Not an easy task. CO's commission had a GIS position open, I thought about applying as a side hustle as it seemed interesting. Then I saw they also wanted you to be an executive assistant to the commission...  eff that. The GIS guy is doing all the actual work, getting none of the glory and has to get everyone coffee....

1 minute ago, HR_Poke said:

They have to try and respect existing boundaries like munis and counties while also incorporating demographics and population.  Not an easy task. CO's commission had a GIS position open, I thought about applying as a side hustle as it seemed interesting. Then I saw they also wanted you to be an executive assistant to the commission...  eff that. The GIS guy is doing all the actual work, getting none of the glory and has to get everyone coffee....

no. no respect. just lines. In fact even better alternate E-W lines and N-S lines each census. keep pols on their toes. Even better lump 5 districts in with each other and multi member district it by chunks. 

ps the gis guy isn't doing the actual work. the actual work is the politics hr poke! the gis guy is just getting justifications for the politics. lol actual demographics, political units, and geography controlling districting. I thought this was america

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Democrats went too far progressive. I'd venture that 80 percent of their voters don't care about genderfluid/critical race/equity gobbledygook. The base is more worker's rights (and results) oriented. The party became too niche and lost their way, in my opinion.

While I agree the Ds let the far left have too much capital, If you quote CRT then you cannot be taken seriously.

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

no. no respect. just lines. In fact even better alternate E-W lines and N-S lines each census. keep pols on their toes. Even better lump 5 districts in with each other and multi member district it by chunks. 

ps the gis guy isn't doing the actual work. the actual work is the politics hr poke! the gis guy is just getting justifications for the politics. lol actual demographics, political units, and geography controlling districting. I thought this was america

He's generating all the districts through the various algorithms and making the maps.  The commission just reviews, tweaks the maps then does a road show to display them.  They don't even have to campaign for the maps

9 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

He's generating all the districts through the various algorithms and making the maps.  The commission just reviews, tweaks the maps then does a road show to display them.  They don't even have to campaign for the maps

pah! technician jibber jabber! they make sure the right people know the right things and meet the important standards. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Texas likely would have swung blue in 2020 except that the south Texas counties,  which are majority Hispanic working class voters, turned hard red. They only flipped one of those counties and severely shrunk the margins in the rest of the counties. This was more than enough to keep TX solidly red, and according to Shole is a trend that will continue. 

Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. If you want to call the 2028 and 2032 presidential elections today, do you. 

17 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Political scum

yeah they are. but they have a point and have their own skills too. just............. less than they think they do

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

was DOMA proactive or reactive?

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

demographics should have nothing to do with districting...change my mind

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

One of the early pieces of legislation the House passed was the PRO Act. It has died in the Senate; 48 Democrats signed on, but a whopping zero from the “party of the white working class”. Republicans don’t give a phuck about workers rights, and they never will. They string along the white working class with culture war bullshit but have no plans to ever do anything for them.

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

demographics should have nothing to do with districting...change my mind

demographics include population density and aggregation, which I believe are required to be included. 

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

demographics include population density and aggregation, which I believe are required to be included. 

Correct.  Although I believe he was referring to ethnic demographics.  I go back and forth on that. They were discussing a majority Latino district here in Southern Colorado.  I get wanting to give minorities representation in the district and some areas historically dilute those demographics because they vote for one party.  But aren't you politicizing the districts and making them non competitive, and in many cases gerrymandered to make those districts?

Districts were to be contiguous and as compact as possible, and that's not always happening.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

One of the early pieces of legislation the House passed was the PRO Act. It has died in the Senate; 48 Democrats signed on, but a whopping zero from the “party of the white working class”. Republicans don’t give a phuck about workers rights, and they never will. They string along the white working class with culture war bullshit but have no plans to ever do anything for them.

They are attracting working class voters because they are the party that is most supportive of small businesses, who provide most of the career opportunities to working Americans of all races. Workers rights are great, a dynamic vibrant economy that generates jobs is far better for the fortunes of the working class. The best way to improve workers conditions is to create an economy that makes businesses compete for labor , not heavy handed government mandates that suppress job growth tbat the Democrats have traditionally supported. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, bornontheblue said:

Cmon , I got the New York Times for a year for $3 a month. It goes up to 14 dollars a month after a year. Well worth it 

Have you seen how much a Bloomberg sub costs?

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

They are attracting working class voters because they are the party that is most supportive of small businesses, who provide most of the career opportunities to working Americans of all races. Workers rights are great, a dynamic vibrant economy that generates jobs is far better for the fortunes of the working class. The best way to improve workers conditions is to create an economy that makes businesses compete for labor , not heavy handed government mandates that suppress job growth tbat the Democrats have traditionally supported. 

Nah, it’s the culture war shit, that’s why the GOP ONLY won with WHITE working class voters. Democrats won with working class voters overall because they won every single working class ethnicity, except white. You can spike the football because the Republicans didn’t get their asses kicked quite as bad with non-white working class voters, I guess, but they most definitely did get their asses kicked.

17 minutes ago, Maji said:

Not a day goes by without Shor being discussed on my feed. He points out plenty of things that are uncomfortable for Democrats, but also acknowledges that the system favors Republicans more than it should.

I have a couple issues with the working class vote analysis that is frequently tossed around:

1) It rarely acknowledges that Biden still won the NON-WHITE working class vote in a LANDSLIDE. The focus is almost always on the WHITE working class and the fact that Trump made slight gains in the non-white working class vote (despite still losing handily). 

2) People are turning 2020 in to a trend, when we don’t know that yet. We won’t know whether or not it’s a trend until 2028 when the GOP is forced to run a candidate that isn’t Donald Trump. 

34 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I have a couple issues with the working class vote analysis that is frequently tossed around:

1) It rarely acknowledges that Biden still won the NON-WHITE working class vote in a LANDSLIDE. The focus is almost always on the WHITE working class and the fact that Trump made slight gains in the non-white working class vote (despite still losing handily). 

2) People are turning 2020 in to a trend, when we don’t know that yet. We won’t know whether or not it’s a trend until 2028 when the GOP is forced to run a candidate that isn’t Donald Trump. 

Re: point #1, I agree that the "Dems are losing the working class" takes usually fixate on the WWC while ignoring minority workers. It's an overblown talking point. With that being said, I don't necessarily think Shor is guilty of that

Re: point #2, it depends on what trend is being discussed. If you're referring to Trump's gains with Hispanic voters, I agree. I'm worried about it becoming a trend, but it's too early to conclusively know