Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Let's hear both sides

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Los Angeles, Miami, and a list of other cities have ISD police departments. And of course they report to the superintendent of the schools...who else would they report to? The is a an MOU in place with ISD departments and the departments of the surrounding area. Is it any different than having an officer assigned from the local department? And do we really have to ask why these exist? Have you been in a high school lately? 

Yes because everyone on this board has lived in large metro areas and has had the same exact experiences with everything..... 

JFC sometimes this board is a giant bag of assholes when someone asks a legitimate question because their states don't operate in the same manner as others.  

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

Maynard,

American racism and its parallels with Nazi ideology and policy aren't in question

The Texas goobers here don't want "another" book or "more" books. They want books that undermine credibility of evidence re: scope, scale, and depth of the Holocaust. That effort should be opposed with vigor

No doubt, maybe some of them want books on flat earth conspiracies too. 

This doesn't change the fact that rest of the goobers also need more books. They should be asking for books on the origins of Nazi Germany's race laws as well the origins of the holocaust.

The relationship between America and Germany in both regards is not parallel. It's one of teacher (America) and pupil (Germany). Racism was always a natural thing in Europe. So it never had to be codified. That is why Hitler sent his lawyers to study our system.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

8 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Yes because everyone on this board has lived in large metro areas and has had the same exact experiences with everything..... 

JFC sometimes this board is a giant bag of assholes when someone asks a legitimate question because their states don't operate in the same manner as others.  

Police should not be in schools anyways.  

Just now, Maynard Delecto said:

No doubt, maybe some of them want books on flat earth conspiracies too. 

This doesn't change the fact that rest of the goobers also need more books. They should be asking for books on the origins of Nazi Germany's race laws as well the origins of the holocaust.

The relationship between America and Germany in both regards is not parallel. It's one of teacher (America) and pupil (Germany). Racism was always a natural thing in Europe. So it never had to be codified. That is why Hitler sent his lawyers to study our system.

You're arguing a point no one is making

1 hour ago, youngredbullfan said:

Eh, the way that’s been presented in this thread isn’t exactly accurate. 

Hitler and Naziism had very mixed and contradictory views on the United States. Yes,  they admired the segregationist South’s apartheid regime. And yes, they existed broadly in the same eugenics mileu as some American folks. 

But at the same time, Hitler thought the US was a mongrel state that was controlled by Jews. Also, he was obsessed with Karl May Westerns and liked Native Americans as a result, so he wasn’t exactly a big proponent of the largest actual genocide the United States actually did. 

And like most reactionaries, Hitler hated abortion. His form of racial eugenics was based mostly on total physical destruction, not control of the poor population through birth control: his connection to American eugenic thought was tenuous at best. 

totally understandable -- but a separate topic and discussion, imo

22 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

So no one was wringing their hands about ppl in Texas being Nazis?

You don't see the irony here?

i don't wait for life, people, conditions, etc to be perfect before saying "hey this isn't right"

it's not right to argue for "both sides" on the holocaust

if you're not happy with some issue, address it.  don't try to pull a fast one on people by painting a target and goading them into hitting it. just state your case.

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

His point is that abortion laws in the US are as bad or worse ethically when comparing to the holocaust.  

Don't read anything beyond that, because there is nothing.  

4 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i don't wait for life, people, conditions, etc to be perfect before saying "hey this isn't right"

if you're not happy with some issue, address it.  don't try to pull a fast one on people by painting a target and goading them into hitting it. just state your case.

There is no case. I've used this tactic before when I was outclassed on a subject. I know it when I see it. Be obtuse, only ask questions. Use archane references to sound smarty. 

18 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

Lefty: "OMG TEXANS ARE NAZIIIIIIS"

Maynard: "Um, Lefty, you don't know that there's a dark connection between institutions you hold dear to this day, and the Nazis? Maybe you should read the books that explain all that?"

AA et al "stop arguing both sides Maytard!!!"

3 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Lefty: "OMG TEXANS ARE NAZIIIIIIS"

Maynard: "Um, Lefty, you don't know that there's a dark connection between institutions you hold dear to this day, and the Nazis? Maybe you should read the books that explain all that?"

AA et al "stop arguing both sides Maytard!!!"

that's not what "both sides" in this case means, maynard

you're redefining the topic and a priori assuming the govt is evil and satanist and that leftys "hold them dear"

this is no simpler than "hey let's not have books saying the holocaust wasn't as bad as it was"

57 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Police should not be in schools anyways.  

I will disagree with this somewhat. 

My wife is a teacher and the kindest person you will ever meet. She has had threats of violence directed at her from very unstable students, and parents. It has gotten much worse during this pandemic.  Teacher's have to deal with a lot of ugly things in society that a lot of people don't see. She has had fights break out in her classroom where school resource officers have had to step in and protect her and other students. I am very glad her school district has a resource officer for her protection. 

21 minutes ago, toonkee said:

There is no case. I've used this tactic before when I was outclassed on a subject. I know it when I see it. Be obtuse, only ask questions. Use archane references to sound smarty. 

Ivy League scholars, their research and books on the subject are "archane references"? Sounds as lazy as the rest of your guys' rationalizations.

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I will disagree with this somewhat. 

My wife is a teacher and the kindest person you will ever meet. She has had threats of violence directed at her from very unstable students, and parents. It has gotten much worse during this pandemic.  Teacher's have to deal with a lot of ugly things in society that a lot of people don't see. She has had fights break out in her classroom where school resource officers have had to step in and protect her and other students. I am very glad her school district has a resource officer for her protection. 

Then you call the cops.  There are less fights in schools today than in the 70's and 80's when only 1% of schools had an officer.  

The cure is worse than the disease.  

SRO's criminalize youth behavior and are often the first step in the school to prison pipeline.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Then you call the cops.  There are less fights in schools today than in the 70's and 80's when only 1% of schools had an officer.  

The cure is worse than the disease.  

SRO's criminalize youth behavior and are often the first step in the school to prison pipeline.  

It would take too long for the cops to get there. My wife has had two violent fights break out in the last month. Thankfully the weights teacher and the SRO were there to intervene. 

My wife and other teachers have had threats of violence directed at them from parents and students. My wife would be terrible at defending herself until the cops arrived. Also the school district is required by law to provide a safe working environment. They can mitigate the threat of liability by having an SRO. 

I don't disagree that the use of SRO's can criminalize some typical youth behavior, you can take positions on both sides of the fence here. Maybe rich school districts don't need an SRO, but Vallivue school district does. 

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

It would take too long for the cops to get there. My wife has had two violent fights break out in the last month. Thankfully the weights teacher and the SRO were there to intervene. 

My wife and other teachers have had threats of violence directed at them from parents and students. My wife would be terrible at defending herself until the cops arrived. Also the school district is required by law to provide a safe working environment. They can mitigate the threat of liability by having an SRO. 

I don't disagree that the use of SRO's can criminalize some typical youth behavior, you can take positions on both sides of the fence here. Maybe rich school districts don't need an SRO, but Vallivue school district does. 

Nah.  Sorry, there are less fights in school now than in the 70's and 80's when there were no SRO's and the teachers did fine.  

Youth crime pales in comparison to the 90's yet youth arrest rates are up significantly.  This is because of SROs.  +++++ em.  More societal harm than good, nobody is going to beat up your wife....

Policing in schools overwhelming targets people of color and kids with disabilities.  

5 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

that's not what "both sides" in this case means, maynard

you're redefining the topic and a priori assuming the govt is evil and satanist and that leftys "hold them dear"

this is no simpler than "hey let's not have books saying the holocaust wasn't as bad as it was"

You lost me at "let's not have books". Actually, it's not like you had won me over by putting words in my mouth before that, but wutevz.

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

I'm not the only one that was surprised that you hadn't heard of this, so not sure what to tell you there. I mean Columbine was 20 years ago with more school shootings since and there are videos almost daily with huge fights at schools. In Houston a few weeks ago, there were two shootings at high schools, a huge brawl and two kids beating another student....all just in one week and the first week of school no less. These things are all over social media and traditional media, so surely this isn't the first you're hearing of how dangerous our schools are. 

3 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You lost me at "let's not have books". Actually, it's not like you had won me over by putting words in my mouth before that, but wutevz.

what words?  the "both sides" here is the holocaust, not the complicit evil inherent in american govt institut