Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Let's hear both sides

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Police should not be in schools anyways.  

The things that happen in schools that require police shouldn't be in schools either. That's probably where we need to start. 

15 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Ivy League scholars, their research and books on the subject are "archane references"? Sounds as lazy as the rest of your guys' rationalizations.

Here's how debates work. You posit something then support it. Saying "Google it" isn't support.

Do the work if you want to actually convince someone. 

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nah.  Sorry, there are less fights in school now than in the 70's and 80's when there were no SRO's and the teachers did fine.  

Youth crime pales in comparison to the 90's yet youth arrest rates are up significantly.  This is because of SROs.  +++++ em.  More societal harm than good, nobody is going to beat up your wife....

Policing in schools overwhelming targets people of color and kids with disabilities.  

The litigation environment, among other cultural norms, was just different back then. 

4 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I'm not the only one that was surprised that you hadn't heard of this, so not sure what to tell you there. I mean Columbine was 20 years ago with more school shootings since and there are videos almost daily with huge fights at schools. In Houston a few weeks ago, there were two shootings at high schools, a huge brawl and two kids beating another student....all just in one week and the first week of school no less. These things are all over social media and traditional media, so surely this isn't the first you're hearing of how dangerous our schools are. 

and if you actually read the thread you would see that I knew of School Resource Officers but said they came from the local police departments not a stand alone department built into the school district.  

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nah.  Sorry, there are less fights in school now than in the 70's and 80's when there were no SRO's and the teachers did fine.  

Youth crime pales in comparison to the 90's yet youth arrest rates are up significantly.  This is because of SROs.  +++++ em.  More societal harm than good, nobody is going to beat up your wife....

Policing in schools overwhelming targets people of color and kids with disabilities.  

So I can come to your place of work and threaten you with violence , or start a fight and you wouldn't expect your employer to do anything about it then. Your employer could just shrug their shoulders and say well the stats say this is unlikely to ever happen so we won't do anything about it. You would agree to release your employer from all liability for not providing a safe working environment????

Hey, Ill listen when you say SRO's have a history of  unfairly targeting racial minorities, and criminalizing youthful exuberant behavior. I stop listening when you say a school district cannot take actions to provide a safe environment for students, teachers, and staff. 

16 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Or I thought I'd let the libs own themselves

You didn't know that Germans took what we were doing and had planned for Black ppl, and adopted it to the Jews?

No way!! There was hypocrisy in our participation and alliance in WW2???????

14 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Go on...

14 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You guys are ho humming something that fits your smug narrative. The thing about smugs is, they're usually more ignorant than the ppl they're mocking

The Negro Project? The Master Race? "We wont dont want the word get out to the blacks that we want to exterminate them"? You guys don't know any of that?

There DEFINITELY needs to be a second book about the Holocaust, looks like.

12 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Go on...

12 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

to google...

and....

look it up...

yourself....

It's a matter of fact. It's all been very well documented.

The Germans pretty much copycatted our segregation laws. The Germans used the Eugenics and race purification plan designed by psychopath racist Americans. American advised Hitler's Eugenicist. 

Segregation = DemoKKKrats

Eugenics = Psychopath racist Planned Parenthood founder

Holocaust = 6 million dead

America's War on Blacks = 60 million dead and climbing

We are going to need a lot more books!

Pure fcuking gold. :lol::hahaha::Clapping:

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Police should not be in schools anyways.  

I could find 1800 HS students (and their parents) right now who would disagree with you...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

51 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Lefty: "OMG TEXANS ARE NAZIIIIIIS"

Maynard: "Um, Lefty, you don't know that there's a dark connection between institutions you hold dear to this day, and the Nazis? Maybe you should read the books that explain all that?"

AA et al "stop arguing both sides Maytard!!!"

More like;

Ole Kuz: "There were very find people on both sides".

The rest of the board: 

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

30 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Here's how debates work. You posit something then support it. Saying "Google it" isn't support.

Do the work if you want to actually convince someone. 

Deny! Here is how this schooling you call a debate has been working

Lefty "OMG TEXANS ARE STOOOPID NAZI LOVING HOLOCAUST DENIERS *WRING HANDS* *BACK OF HAND TO FOREHEAD* *SKY SCREAM AT TRUMP*

Ole Kuz "Hey Lefty, maybe if you weren't as ignorant as the Texans, you could prove the holocaust was real. All you'd have to is show  how your institutions influenced and help develop its founding principles. It was discussed in great length in media outlets that you normally cherish"

Lefty "I demand you prove my ignorance, by posting evidence of my ignorance that I've (most likely) deliberately ignored b/c it (most likely) upsets my sense of moral superiority" 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

3 hours ago, CV147 said:

I hear this claim of genocide against Native Americans a lot, but isn't the death toll figure oft cited almost entirely disease and not war?

It's just something that's nagged at me.

That's what most deaths in war were during that time period though. More Americans in the Mexican-american war died of cholera than of bullets. Still war casualties. 

2 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

No doubt, maybe some of them want books on flat earth conspiracies too. 

This doesn't change the fact that rest of the goobers also need more books. They should be asking for books on the origins of Nazi Germany's race laws as well the origins of the holocaust.

The relationship between America and Germany in both regards is not parallel. It's one of teacher (America) and pupil (Germany). Racism was always a natural thing in Europe. So it never had to be codified. That is why Hitler sent his lawyers to study our system.

The idea that racism was never codified in Europe is hilariously incorrect Maynard. Racism, especially anti-semitism, was explicitly codified for hundreds of years. Ignoring the myriad international developments that led to the Holocaust is, frankly, absurd as well. The Holocaust pulled from the Boer war, European colonization in Africa, the American reservation system, previous domestic European policies.... 

44 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

and if you actually read the thread you would see that I knew of School Resource Officers but said they came from the local police departments not a stand alone department built into the school district.  

That's how it worked at Poudre. Basically a detached assignment but part of FCPD. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, CV147 said:

I hear this claim of genocide against Native Americans a lot, but isn't the death toll figure oft cited almost entirely disease and not war?

While the vast majority of Native American deaths (prior to 1800, at least) can be attributed to disease, there are a number of instances in American history that could be considered genocide. For example, the Indian Removal Act in 1830, which included the Trail of Tears, where 8,000 Cherokee died (about half of the Cherokee population). The army deliberately marched the Cherokee through areas plagued with cholera. The Indian Wars saw massacres of men, women, and children. One notorious Indian fighter, Col. John Chivington, led a massacre of around 100-150 Arapaho and Cheyenne, most of whom were women and children. The soldiers took scalps, genitalia, and even fetuses as war trophies. Col. Chivington said

"Damn any man who sympathizes with Indians! ... I have come to kill Indians, and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians. ... Kill and scalp all, big and little; nits make lice." 

The Mendocino War and Round Valley War saw the Yuki people brought to the brink of extinction. The forced removal of Indians from their lands resulted in tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of deaths. All of these instances can be called genocide.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

So I can come to your place of work and threaten you with violence , or start a fight and you wouldn't expect your employer to do anything about it then. Your employer could just shrug their shoulders and say well the stats say this is unlikely to ever happen so we won't do anything about it. You would agree to release your employer from all liability for not providing a safe working environment????

Hey, Ill listen when you say SRO's have a history of  unfairly targeting racial minorities, and criminalizing youthful exuberant behavior. I stop listening when you say a school district cannot take actions to provide a safe environment for students, teachers, and staff. 

I would expect my employer to call the cops, like the rest of the world.  SRO'sare taking the place of discipline in general.  This is a very, very bad thing and we all, students, teachers and parents alike would be better off without them in our schools.  Things like truancy, teasing, tardiness, general disorderly conduct or generally being obnoxious are too often met with the SRO, blurring the line between growing up and criminality.  It's a bad thing.  Students with disabilities are 3 times more likely to be arrested by a SRO and 4 times more likely to receive physical harm from one.  That's a problem, and so is this;

1.7 million students attend schools with police but no counselors

3 million students attend schools with police but no school nurse

6 million students attend schools with police but no psychologist

10 million students attend schools with police but no social workers

Get cops out of schools.  If a student commits a crime, call the cops at that point.  That is how the rest of the world functions.  

2 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Trusts government employees to raise their kids.

Doesn't trust employees of the same govt. to help raise their kids.

Societal something something. I'm oppressed hear me roar

Sounds legit.

Who raises your kids?  I imagine day care options are limited when the dad refuses to pay child support.

5 hours ago, CV147 said:

Well, it's a major debate. 

My take is that you can definitely describe what happened to Native Americans in some places and times as genocide. In other places and times you can say that the Europeans/Americans' presence created conditions that were not conducive to Native American life and culture, even if there was not direct violence.

Regardless, the government and citizenry of the United States certainly participated in multiple, direct, undisputed genocides against indigenous peoples.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

44 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Who raises your kids?  I imagine day care options are limited when the dad refuses to pay child support.

You're pulling out all the stops! 

This is a problem with a lot of layers. For what it's worth, the % of non-custodial moms who don't pay child support is roughly the same as the % of non-custodial dads that don't pay and the reasons that either don't pay are varied and the number of true deadbeat dads is probably far smaller than most people think it is. Dad's not being present is a lot more damaging to kids than dads that don't pay. 

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would expect my employer to call the cops, like the rest of the world.  SRO'sare taking the place of discipline in general.  This is a very, very bad thing and we all, students, teachers and parents alike would be better off without them in our schools.  Things like truancy, teasing, tardiness, general disorderly conduct or generally being obnoxious are too often met with the SRO, blurring the line between growing up and criminality.  It's a bad thing.  Students with disabilities are 3 times more likely to be arrested by a SRO and 4 times more likely to receive physical harm from one.  That's a problem, and so is this;

1.7 million students attend schools with police but no counselors

3 million students attend schools with police but no school nurse

6 million students attend schools with police but no psychologist

10 million students attend schools with police but no social workers

Get cops out of schools.  If a student commits a crime, call the cops at that point.  That is how the rest of the world functions.  

So what about places like an airport, or an airplane in flight with a sky marshall,  or a sporting event, or concerts, or college campuses that have police officers to protect the public , and to provide a safe working environment for employees? They should get rid of them too? Why are schools different. The short answer is they aren't! Unfortunately like I said earlier,  teachers and staff in schools have to face a lot of ugly situations that the rest of society doesn't see, that often put people in danger who are not trained to deal with situations like that. I already said I agree that SRO's have abused their power before, but they still can be useful in providing a safe environment for all involved.