Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Dave Chappelle "The Closer". Thoughts?

Much more narrow of a special than his others.  I really don't get the outrage.  I am guessing those that got upset didn't watch the whole thing.  It was still funny, and he blends social perspectives with brash comedy, and i enjoy that style.

Not trying to give spoilers, so purposefully being vague.

41 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Looking for a critique of the content or just in general?

Only a critique if you think one is merited.  

I am a supporter of the LGBTQ movement and trans people in general.  However he did hold up a mirror to their most vocal set online about what vicious bullies they are with his friends suicide.  But his LGBTQ content is getting a little played out.  Needs something new.

I thought there were some really funny parts but not his best.  I liked Sticks and Stones better.

22 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am a supporter of the LGBTQ movement and trans people in general.  However he did hold up a mirror to their most vocal set online about what vicious bullies they are with his friends suicide.  But his LGBTQ content is getting a little played out.  Needs something new.

I thought there were some really funny parts but not his best.  I liked Sticks and Stones better.

Had the same opinion.  felt like a cut and paste of his last performance.  

27 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He's gotta lose those fckn jackets with CHAPPELLE on them also.  

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I read an article about the content he wrote. Super interesting how he says the jokes aren’t about LGBTQ but about him. I’ll try to find it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/6105951/dave-chappelle-netflix-controversy/%3famp=true

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Better or as much as the last one?

I love Chapelle, and don't get offended by him. Just felt like it was a rehash of jokes.

i've seen all his netflix specials, but don't know them so well that jokes would feel like a retread.  i liked the jokes, i liked the perspective, and i loved the delivery.

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i've seen all his netflix specials, but don't know them so well that jokes would feel like a retread.  i liked the jokes, i liked the perspective, and i loved the delivery.

Fair enough. My employee watched it and got all butthurt over it being offensive.

I haven't seen it yet. I saw an article about saying there was stuff about"you can shoot a black person but better not hurt a gay person's feelings. "and how he seems to be putting black people vs gay people. I thought it was a well written article. I'll try to find it.. It was CNN. I love Dave Chappelle and the only reason I have read an article about it without forming my own opinion is time. But I agree with others that claim his Schick is getti g old if he is going to just talk about lgbtq stuff and cancel culture. 

I did see how the Netflix president defended him by saying that their content doesn't translate to real world harm. I don't believe Dave Chapelle or anyone telling jokes is responsible for what others do, but if you take credit for good or progressive things your network has done then you need to acknowledge the bad. 

I've had a couple beers tonight so forgive me if this doesn't make sense. I don't believe in censorship and think Dave is a genius but also think there is room for criticism even in comedy. And again I haven't watched it yet so can't say much about it particular.

Founs the CNN article. You can disagree with it. That's fine. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/opinions/dave-chappelle-netflix-the-closer-cane/index.html

Just watched it. I didn’t think it was very funny. Okay.

Spoiler

But definitely not his best work. Poignant and apologetic towards the end so I’m surprised by the negative  reviews. Almost seemed over the top f+++ everyone for the first half, then the whole second half was just explaining the joke that was over everyone’s head.