Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Unemployment benefits

It is time to look at eliminating or greatly reducing unemployment benefits. We have a major problem with not enough employees. Supply chain is getting gum up because the situation we are in. 

Biden has some huge issues and despite the media protecting him he and Democrats are going to take a hit.  

His handling of the Covid isn’t going over very well.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

The supply chain meltdown is going to be a major factory in runaway inflation, along with the Federal reserve running the money printing machine at full capacity 24/7. That along with a labor shortage is going to cause a recession IMO. 

When you stimulate the demand side/and suppress the supply side you are going to have major economic issues. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-inflation-consumer-price-index-september-2021-11634074529?st=0ob9zksdhe4ds4r&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

The consequences of never ending wars and corporate welfare by corporate dems and reps. Thats why I didnt mind the “riot” so much, to tell the truth. It’s rotten to the core.

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

The supply chain meltdown is going to be a major factory in runaway inflation, along with the Federal reserve running the money printing machine at full capacity 24/7. That along with a labor shortage is going to cause a recession IMO. 

When you stimulate the demand side/and suppress the supply side you are going to have major economic issues. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-inflation-consumer-price-index-september-2021-11634074529?st=0ob9zksdhe4ds4r&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I'd argue that the rising wages and working conditions are a correction from the far worse economic issues we have just decided to accept as normal.

How much of a raise would you need to buy your current house today, for example?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Reduce unemployment so people are forced to take any shit job for any shit pay that is offered. 

When the expanded UE went away in September it didn't have an effect on employment so I don't think the employment issue are people just living large at home off theri HUGE UE checks not wanting to work. People are staying out of jobs that aren't paying enough for how shit they are and moving on to better jobs. It will cause some issues in the short term but will figure itself out I think, and better for workers.

Supply chain issues are deeper than just not enough people. In the last couple decades we have gone to a Just In Time inventory system where companies don't want to keep inventory on hand and work on getting the supply chain to provide things fast. When a massive interuption like COVID occurs and then demand picks back up that is going to cause ripples through the entire system. Where suppliers used to have a stock of inventory to get by while production ramps up now they don't and it causes backorders and it piles up on itself causing a lot of problems. I think it will eventually sort itself out but may take a while.

Isn't unemployment paid in for?  Like Social Security?  I'm not talking about the federal topper that they did.  Also, lack of workers is indicative of a smaller labor pool due to a lot of death, and the realization that corporations made out like thieves in broad daylight and still want to crack the whip for unlivable wages and people aren't tolerating it.

The bigger question is, do we support Americans, or corporations, more?  There is a threshold for both, but how far are you willing to stump for these billionaires?  OP has made his choice apparently to back corporations.  Government workers typically will, it seems.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Reduce unemployment so people are forced to take any shit job for any shit pay that is offered. 

When the expanded UE went away in September it didn't have an effect on employment so I don't think the employment issue are people just living large at home off theri HUGE UE checks not wanting to work. People are staying out of jobs that aren't paying enough for how shit they are and moving on to better jobs. It will cause some issues in the short term but will figure itself out I think, and better for workers.

Supply chain issues are deeper than just not enough people. In the last couple decades we have gone to a Just In Time inventory system where companies don't want to keep inventory on hand and work on getting the supply chain to provide things fast. When a massive interuption like COVID occurs and then demand picks back up that is going to cause ripples through the entire system. Where suppliers used to have a stock of inventory to get by while production ramps up now they don't and it causes backorders and it piles up on itself causing a lot of problems. I think it will eventually sort itself out but may take a while.

There is lack of supply being produced as well as lack of supply of transportation as well.  Demand is part of it, but the actual production is still an issue, which brings us back to the workforce itself as a key variable.

1 hour ago, robe said:

It is time to look at eliminating or greatly reducing unemployment benefits. We have a major problem with not enough employees. Supply chain is getting gum up because the situation we are in. 

Biden has some huge issues and despite the media protecting him he and Democrats are going to take a hit.  

His handling of the Covid isn’t going over very well.

Read "The Law" by Frédéric Bastiat if you haven't already. #LegalPlunder #Timeless

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

14 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

There is lack of supply being produced as well as lack of supply of transportation as well.  Demand is part of it, but the actual production is still an issue, which brings us back to the workforce itself as a key variable.

they are also encouraging people to buy stuff now for the holidays, and that's just going to make things worse.....

26 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I'd argue that the rising wages and working conditions are a correction from the far worse economic issues we have just decided to accept as normal.

How much of a raise would you need to buy your current house today, for example?

Okay I will  buy into that Somewhat,  But on the other hand you cannot juice up the demand side, and then suppress the supply side. That combined with uncontrolled government spending will erase any wage gains quickly. 

23 minutes ago, tspoke said:

In Supply chain management it is called the Bull Whip effect. Fears of shortages cause people to overstock, which causes further shortages, which cause producers to oversupply right when people are buying less than they consume because they had previously overstocked. It is an out of balance system that can take a long time to work itself out. 

Covid had a lot to do with this, but so did paying people to not work and then juice up demand through stimulus. 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Okay I will  buy into that Somewhat,  But on the other hand you cannot juice up the demand side, and then suppress the supply side. That combined with uncontrolled government spending will erase any wage gains quickly. 

well we're also seeing uneven disruptions in the supply side. a lot of housing issues are supply side issues that are not fixable from a federal government standpoint (at least not in a presidential term time frame) and those disruptions have been decades in the making. Insufficient labor, oppressive local regulations, zoning issues, and even just space. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

28 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Just in time inventory management helps keep costs down and thise cost savings eventually make their way to the consumer. The downside is that with a shock to the system like we have experienced can cause things to go out of whack 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

well we're also seeing uneven disruptions in the supply side. a lot of housing issues are supply side issues that are not fixable from a federal government standpoint (at least not in a presidential term time frame) and those disruptions have been decades in the making. Insufficient labor, oppressive local regulations, zoning issues, and even just space. 

Yeah we are seeing a lot of that currently.  I've had several clients completely whiff on the housing boom we had this year because they are still waiting on their initial plats to get approved by the cities and counties that they submitted last summer....  They sent all their employees to work from home with no oversite and it's taking 3 times as long to get things recorded, not to mention all the municipalities want a huge chunk of cash related to these developments.

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

If inflation really gets out of hand I just hope the Democrats aren't stupid enough to try something like price controls. That would just make the problem 10x worse. We delayed solving a similar problem in the 70's because it requires raising interest rates which is very politically unpopular. By the 1981 recession (which was worse than the 2008 recession) Unemployment was over 10% , Interest rates were in the teens, and GDP growth was in negative double digits. It was bad times. 

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Yeah we are seeing a lot of that currently.  I've had several clients completely whiff on the housing boom we had this year because they are still waiting on their initial plats to get approved by the cities and counties that they submitted last summer....  They sent all their employees to work from home with no oversite and it's taking 3 times as long to get things recorded, not to mention all the municipalities want a huge chunk of cash related to these developments.

that is similar to what we are seeing too. 3+ month long wait to get a house plan approved, we are super backlogged, builders don't have the capacity. good building department workers have much better opportunities elsewhere to move upward and onward so the cycle gets worse pushing mediocre gvt department workers also onward and upward....

Just now, bornontheblue said:

If inflation really gets out of hand I just hope the Democrats aren't stupid enough to try something like price controls. That would just make the problem 10x worse. We delayed solving a similar problem in the 70's because it requires raising interest rates which is very politically unpopular. By the 1981 recession (which was worse than the 2008 recession) Unemployment was over 10% , Interest rates were in the teens, and GDP growth was in negative double digits. It was bad times. 

I guarantee that at least half of the house and senate are stupid enough to float the idea of price controls. in a win for lobbying all their donors will shut that shit down real quick. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

that is similar to what we are seeing too. 3+ month long wait to get a house plan approved, we are super backlogged, builders don't have the capacity. good building department workers have much better opportunities elsewhere to move upward and onward so the cycle gets worse pushing mediocre gvt department workers also onward and upward....

I guarantee that at least half of the house and senate are stupid enough to float the idea of price controls. in a win for lobbying all their donors will shut that shit down real quick. 

it really sucks!  It's going to be a long while before this all gets sorted out

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

We are in unprecedented times that we have never seen before. A complete restructuring of unemployment benefits needs to happen.

Biden has a train wreck that he can’t stop and the Democrats aren’t going to look at adjusting a government handouts any time soon. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

2 hours ago, robe said:

About 7.5 million on temporary unemployment. About 25 million on permanent disability (that's 13% of working age population).