Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Peloton

9 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Woah woah woah, knock if off with the bike talk already. I can see old white guys squeezed into 2 sizes too small bike shorts any old time

Is there someone who lives in San Diego in this thread? How awesome must that be? I hear there's like weather there and stuff. Sounds AMAAAAZING!!!

How far do you live from the beach?!

I'm an old guy in San Diego, but I'm not fat. And that's because I run and ride my bike. My house is less than half a mile from the beach. It's not a big house, but the location is great. 🌴

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Damn. I got excited for a second but just as I feared the thread is about exercise equipment.

I’m attempting to move the conversation toward actual riding. Please join me, but leave the florid 27 paragraph ride descriptions for Tour month. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Never tried one but I did spin down at Pivot (downtown Boise) that has the Stages bikes and they had some really good instructors. It ain't cycling but was fun and definitely helped keep the beer/holiday cheer weight off during the winter. I am a total pu$$y about the cold and don't ride after November until it warms up a bit, so it's a nice stop-gap.

I'll probably go with Zwift this winter though.

I definitely miss my biking loop of Morrison to Barber park on the greenbelt.

I never thought I'd be able to get into it, the girlfriend bought it - but I love the music and rah-rah shit of the instructors.

44 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Thanks, but for me, you indoor riders are the heroes. I have rocks, loose dirt, technical trails, and mountain lions (only once, tbh) on the mtn bike, and tight shoulders, gravel and the occasional yahoo tying to squeeze me on the road to keep me distracted from the pain. Your only distraction is some happy f#$k in Lycra (I wear it on the road, so my balls get squeezed too) encourage-yelling at you. I’m certain that you suffer more. 

The trainer is even worse than a spin bike. I always feel like I’m going to destroy my dropouts if I stand up for a few revolutions, and my package ends up numb on any spin longer than 30 minutes. Torture! Give me numb fingers and toes any day.

I did run over a rattle snake once, it wasn't single track - more like a closed off access road so I saw it from afar and had time to prepare myself.

13 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

That's my biggest problem. I went out Saturday and even around 50 degrees I couldn't feel my toes for a good hour afterwards. Not so bad on a road bike but MTB I really can't do anything technical if I can't feel my feet.

I have embrocation cream that helps, but I have to put it on my feet a solid hour (or more) before I ride for it to really help, and you can't put it on your hands really. 

That’s too bad. Reynaud’s? My brother had/has issues with this, though I don’t recall him complaining about it the past few years. Maybe he simply avoids riding in the cold these days. I’ll have to ask him.

I’ve never tried embro cream. Maybe I’ll pick some up and see if It helps on those bitter winter rides.

11 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I did run over a rattle snake once, it wasn't single track - more like a closed off access road so I saw it from afar and had time to prepare myself.

I've had a few close calls with rattlers over my many years. We have them here too, especially in the canyon areas in and around San Diego. I remember hearing about a rattlesnake being spotted on the beach once. Fortunately I haven't been bitten. But coming too close to them sure can mess up a good work out. 

9 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Bunny hop! I’ve hopped snakes multiple times, mostly garter snakes and related constrictors, but a couple of rattlers too when I didn’t have time to stop before I was on top of them. I don’t think I’ve ever actually run over a snake while on the bike. Probably as much luck as skill. 

1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

I got hammered one night and bought one like 3 months ago.  Have ridden it like twice.  I even got the plus package with weights and yoga stuff that I will never use. 

It idoes mpresses the ladies that come over though. 

It sounds like my wife when she has a bipolar episode. We have 3k shit sitting all over the house not being used. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

24 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

That's my biggest problem. I went out Saturday and even around 50 degrees I couldn't feel my toes for a good hour afterwards. Not so bad on a road bike but MTB I really can't do anything technical if I can't feel my feet.

I have embrocation cream that helps, but I have to put it on my feet a solid hour (or more) before I ride for it to really help, and you can't put it on your hands really. 

There's a dude and his woman that I follow on instaham, they're fcking hard core 365 day a year trail riders in Boise.  I used to enjoy watching him ride in the snow from the comforts of my couch, he even had those handle bar mittens and winter clip ins.

13 minutes ago, robe said:

It sounds like my wife when she has a bipolar episode. We have 3k shit sitting all over the house not being used. 

I don't buy stupid shit while drinking, but I'm more likely to donate more money to a charity that's important to me.  At least the next morning you get a nice message of "thank you for supporting us" instead of an email receipt.

22 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

That’s too bad. Reynaud’s? My brother had/has issues with this, though I don’t recall him complaining about it the past few years. Maybe he simply avoids riding in the cold these days. I’ll have to ask him.

I’ve never tried embro cream. Maybe I’ll pick some up and see if It helps on those bitter winter rides.

I actually started using it to put on calves/quads to get the blood flowing and help "wake them up" but they helps with the toes too.

9 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

There's a dude and his woman that I follow on instaham, they're fcking hard core 365 day a year trail riders in Boise.  I used to enjoy watching him ride in the snow from the comforts of my couch, he even had those handle bar mittens and winter clip ins.

They are good kids. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

43 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I don't buy stupid shit while drinking, but I'm more likely to donate more money to a charity that's important to me.  At least the next morning you get a nice message of "thank you for supporting us" instead of an email receipt.

Ha ha. You are a better man than me

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Woah woah woah, knock if off with the bike talk already. I can see old white guys squeezed into 2 sizes too small bike shorts any old time

Is there someone who lives in San Diego in this thread? OMG How awesome must that be? I hear there's like weather there and stuff. Sounds AMAAAAZING!!!

How far do you live from the beach?!

I'm a middle-aged white dude who likes to mountain bike. But if you think you mtb in lycra nuthuggers you really should try putting down the donut, turning of the computer, and stepping outside your hovel sometime. Or just google to learn wtf a Pelaton is. Either would significantly improve your knowledge base. :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Are you actually diagnosed with Reynauds Phenomenon? If you're having severe circulatory issues, you're doctor can prescribe some vasodilators that can help a bit.

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

You haven't lived until you get an Amazon package delivered, not knowing wtf it is.  It's kind of like opening presents on Christmas.

31 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Are you actually diagnosed with Reynauds Phenomenon? If you're having severe circulatory issues, you're doctor can prescribe some vasodilators that can help a bit.

I've never heard of that. I always had problems with my digits going numb in cold temps. I did get bad frostbite when I was a kid and was always told that's why I get that way, but I am going to have the doc take a look and let me know. 

thanks! 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm a middle-aged white dude who likes to mountain bike. But if you think you mtb in lycra nuthuggers you really should try putting down the donut, turning of the computer, and stepping outside your hovel sometime. Or just google to learn wtf a Pelaton is. Either would significantly improve your knowledge base. :cheers:

You're kidding me, there are mtn bike trails in San Diego!?!?

I bet all the super special gravitational island vibes make the uphills easier than the downhills where I live!

Do you have a Local Motion sticker on your bike?

What's it like to be cool?!

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

My cardio purchase will be a Concept2 rower.  Love those bad boys.  I am skiddish on subscriptions as I don't see them lasting forever.  A little maintenance periodically and I can just watch a movie or a game and workout.  But I always like hearing people doing what works for them to stay in shape, so kudos, and solid subtle "I have a Peloton" brag.  :cheers:

I quit my gym when Covid hit in March ‘20 and for a year and one-half just hiked, did fast walks, and one or sometimes two slow runs each week.  I bought a new Concept2 BikeErg in September right at $1000 assembled. I had a spin bike for about a dozen years, but I really like this fan bike. I’m doing more indoor bike workouts than outside ones now probably because it’s new. Might get a SkiErg for by winter. I like the rower, but I think the ski workout (mimics Nordic double-pole motion) would be fun. 

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You're kidding me, there are mtn bike trails in San Diego!?!?

I bet all the super special gravitational island vibes make the uphills easier than the downhills where I live!

Do you have a Local Motion sticker on your bike?

What's it like to be cool?!

Did you get fingered by the boogie board rental guy at the hotel you stayed at here as a kid?

Show us on the ceramic surfing monkey where the bad man touched you. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg