Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Peloton

9 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Did you get fingered by the boogie board rental guy at the hotel you stayed at here as a kid?

Show us on the ceramic surfing monkey where the bad man touched you. 

Me? In San Diego? As if! I'm not cool enough for Santa Cruz, forget SAN DIEGO!

I'd wouldn't even know how to ride one of those magic unicorns you guys ride around one from cool place to the next.

Do you go Sea World a lot?!

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

11 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Me? In San Diego? As if! I'm not cool enough for Santa Cruz, forget SAN DIEGO!

I'd wouldn't even know how to ride one of those magic unicorns you guys ride around one from cool place to the next.

Do you go Sea World a lot?!

Just to feed yer mom a bucket of fish. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

22 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

anchorman-burrito.gif

Is that your car?! I bet it's cool, with a really sweet license plate like "619 4 LYF" or something like that. 

Have you ever thought of working things associated with San Diego, so we could all live vicariously through your San Diegoness? Like maybe a "70 degrees" sig pic?

I think a handle  "OB Juan Ken OB" would be clever, get it? OB =  Ocean Beach?

Are you cool enough to go OB ever? Do you have one of those rasta hats?

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

2 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

I quit my gym when Covid hit in March ‘20 and for a year and one-half just hiked, did fast walks, and one or sometimes two slow runs each week.  I bought a new Concept2 BikeErg in September right at $1000 assembled. I had a spin bike for about a dozen years, but I really like this fan bike. I’m doing more indoor bike workouts than outside ones now probably because it’s new. Might get a SkiErg for by winter. I like the rower, but I think the ski workout (mimics Nordic double-pole motion) would be fun. 

I have not heard of the other Ergs, interesting.  I did crew for a little bit, so I think I am just in my familiar zone with rowing.  I am actually going to pick up martial arts again soon.  Work from home has not been good for the spirit, so a little combat (friendly, no crazy comps) should do the soul well.

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Is that your car?! I bet it's cool, with a really sweet license plate like "619 4 LYF" or something like that. 

Have you ever thought of working things associated with San Diego, so we could all live vicariously through your San Diegoness? Like maybe a "70 degrees" sig pic?

I think a handle  "OB Juan Ken OB" would be clever, get it? OB =  Ocean Beach?

Are you cool enough to go OB ever? Do you have one of those rasta hats?

c1139febe1dc0357efcba9dc5b0cf735.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Am I the only person that owns one of these, Peloton Plus?

I’m on it six days a week, currently my thighs are burning like @Wyoguns‘s Mom’s crotch. 

Favorite instructor is definitely Cody, @RSF wouldn’t like him because he’s gay.  

I don’t have a peloton. But best craigslist find I’ve ever bought was a $1000 Spinning bike for $150.

Usually just listen to audiobooks and spin.

18 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Am I the only person that owns one of these, Peloton Plus?

I’m on it six days a week, currently my thighs are burning like @Wyoguns‘s Mom’s crotch. 

Favorite instructor is definitely Cody, @RSF wouldn’t like him because he’s gay.  

I’ve got a Peloton.   I don’t know wtf a peloton plus is though.  Am I excluded from douchebag club I don’t know about?

32 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

I’ve got a Peloton.   I don’t know wtf a peloton plus is though.  Am I excluded from douchebag club I don’t know about?

The plus auto sets the resistance if you want it to, I believe only the plus has the movable screen as well.  

5 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

The plus auto sets the resistance if you want it to, I believe only the plus has the movable screen as well.  

Ahh the movable screen.  We ordered the Peloton during Covid.  The only hang up my wife had was is didn’t have a movable screen like the Nordictack.  Waited about 7 weeks to get it.  About 2 months later they came out with the movable screen. :foottap:

It’s great.  My wife uses it almost daily.  I need to use it more often.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

(Tour route released with a real time trial, cobblestones, and the Alpe)

200.gif

Wait, what?!

I’m still new at this and have only been doing warm up/beginner - low impact/cool down rides.  Did a 20 minute 90’s ride with Cody and thought I may unclip and die on the floor.  Finished it with my best milage and output ever, 6.7 miles - thighs are still burning. 

Question, I’ve never ridden a bike with clips before - should there be a little wiggle room or do they need tightening?  I can’t move them with my hands on the shoes.  

On 10/14/2021 at 12:38 AM, bitteraztec said:

Ahh the movable screen.  We ordered the Peloton during Covid.  The only hang up my wife had was is didn’t have a movable screen like the Nordictack.  Waited about 7 weeks to get it.  About 2 months later they came out with the movable screen. :foottap:

It’s great.  My wife uses it almost daily.  I need to use it more often.

We also ordered it during Covid but the plus, said 2 weeks delivery time but we waited 3 months. The delivery guys are amazing, they talk and look like hard core road bikers. 

12 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Wait, what?!

I’m still new at this and have only been doing warm up/beginner - low impact/cool down rides.  Did a 20 minute 90’s ride with Cody and thought I may unclip and die on the floor.  Finished it with my best milage and output ever, 6.7 miles - thighs are still burning. 

Question, I’ve never ridden a bike with clips before - should there be a little wiggle room or do they need tightening?  I can’t move them with my hands on the shoes.  

I don’t know anything about the gear. @RogueStout or @Posturedoc would have a better answer.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

13 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Wait, what?!

I’m going to go into too much detail. Think of this as akin to a @thelawlorfaithfulTour stage report, which is appropriate, since he invited me to pontificate on this subject.

Clipless pedal rotational movement (float) plus other considerations are a personal choice; your comfort while clipped in is paramount. Most clipless pedals allow some degree (har-har) of float, generally much more on mtn bikes than on road bikes, since the terrain varies far more and your foot position often needs to change to accommodate the trail and terrain without actually clipping out. These days many trail riders forgo clipless pedals and ride flat pedals (flats) with numerous projections (pins) that help them grip the pedal as they ride. It’s a bit less efficient climbing, but allows greater freedom while descending. I need to get a pair and ride them before I can make a better evaluation, and anyway, this probably doesn’t concern you all that much on a stationary bike, as that’s far more akin to road riding, so…

Clipless road pedals usually have some adjustability, so you can add a bit of rotational movement (float) before your shoe unclips. I ride Shimano pedals on the road and like them pretty tight. There are some potential problems riding with reduced float, namely, if you have knee issues or otherwise have unusual cycling biomechanics, locking yourself into a pedal with little float can aggravate your knee issues or, if you have no preexisting problem, can cause you knee pain. More float may allow you to find a riding position that’s easier on your joints. 

In spite of my caveat at the end of the first paragraph, you don’t have to lock yourself into using a road pedal for your stationary bike. I use Crank Brothers pedals on my mtn bikes, and early on used their initial pedal, the Eggbeater, on my first road bike. I liked it fine, though it has a smaller contact point than most road pedals and can lead to a condition called hot foot, irritation of the soft tissues and nerves around the ball of the foot…you can actually get this with almost any clipless pedal, but a smaller platform tends to focus pedal forces through a smaller contact point with your shoe, and therefore foot. 

What does all of this wordsmithery mean? I’d suggest looking at pedals that match what you think you’d be most comfortable with while riding. I’d also suggest not spending a lot of money in them. You don’t need to worry about being a weight weeny on a stationary bike, so it’d be silly to spend $400 on a pair of high end pedals. I wouldn’t spend more than $100, and you can find perfectly good pedals for a few $10’s less. If you have a relationship with a local bike shop, maybe they’ll let you sit on a bike hooked up to a trainer and play with a few different styles of pedals to help you make your choice.

13 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I’m going to go into too much detail. Think of this as akin to a @thelawlorfaithfulTour stage report, which is appropriate, since he invited me to pontificate on this subject.

Clipless pedal rotational movement (float) plus other considerations are a personal choice; your comfort while clipped in is paramount. Most clipless pedals allow some degree (har-har) of float, generally much more on mtn bikes than on road bikes, since the terrain varies far more and your foot position often needs to change to accommodate the trail and terrain without actually clipping out. These days many trail riders forgo clipless pedals and ride flat pedals (flats) with numerous projections (pins) that help them grip the pedal as they ride. It’s a bit less efficient climbing, but allows greater freedom while descending. I need to get a pair and ride them before I can make a better evaluation, and anyway, this probably doesn’t concern you all that much on a stationary bike, as that’s far more akin to road riding, so…

Clipless road pedals usually have some adjustability, so you can add a bit of rotational movement (float) before your shoe unclips. I ride Shimano pedals on the road and like them pretty tight. There are some potential problems riding with reduced float, namely, if you have knee issues or otherwise have unusual cycling biomechanics, locking yourself into a pedal with little float can aggravate your knee issues or, if you have no preexisting problem, can cause you knee pain. More float may allow you to find a riding position that’s easier on your joints. 

In spite of my caveat at the end of the first paragraph, you don’t have to lock yourself into using a road pedal for your stationary bike. I use Crank Brothers pedals on my mtn bikes, and early on used their initial pedal, the Eggbeater, on my first road bike. I liked it fine, though it has a smaller contact point than most road pedals and can lead to a condition called hot foot, irritation of the soft tissues and nerves around the ball of the foot…you can actually get this with almost any clipless pedal, but a smaller platform tends to focus pedal forces through a smaller contact point with your shoe, and therefore foot. 

What does all of this wordsmithery mean? I’d suggest looking at pedals that match what you think you’d be most comfortable with while riding. I’d also suggest not spending a lot of money in them. You don’t need to worry about being a weight weeny on a stationary bike, so it’d be silly to spend $400 on a pair of high end pedals. I wouldn’t spend more than $100, and you can find perfectly good pedals for a few $10’s less. If you have a relationship with a local bike shop, maybe they’ll let you sit on a bike hooked up to a trainer and play with a few different styles of pedals to help you make your choice.

How do you decide where the clips should be set?  They came this way via the factory and feel ok, but as you can see I had some issues learning to clip in at the start.  

AAEEEE7D-1358-4819-93E8-5A962FC43330.jpeg

4441E65B-0566-481F-8E51-199AFA01304F.jpeg

10 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

How do you decide where the clips should be set?  They came this way via the factory and feel ok, but as you can see I had some issues learning to clip in at the start.  

AAEEEE7D-1358-4819-93E8-5A962FC43330.jpeg

4441E65B-0566-481F-8E51-199AFA01304F.jpeg

I see you already have the pedals and cleats. Joke’s on me for the previous zillion word post, though referencing it through this post may prove useful.

There are a few considerations when setting up you pedals.

* Comfort is primary

* Aim for the cleats to be underneath the ball of each foot. If you have asymmetric feet (one longer/wider/otherwise different than the other) do not use those handy lines on the bottom of your shoe to line up each cleat in the same spot. You’ll need to feel your way through this, but you’re going for what I wrote in my first sentence in this bullet. If your feet are pretty much mirror images, by all means use the guide lines on the shoes. 

* If, like me, you’ve damaged your ankles (basketball in my youth) or their wise have supination/pronation issues that cause you to put more pressure on the outside (usually) or inside of your foot rather than the ball and center of your foot, look for biomechanics shims like the LeMond  Le Wedge or other ergonomic shims that center your sole/cleat on your pedal. 

* Some riders are most comfortable with their toes pointing inward (pigeon toed) while others like their toes aimed slightly outward. You may even want one pointed slightly different than the other—The Wife! needs to do this after one hip was surgically rebuilt when she fractured her femoral neck in a mtn bike accident a few years ago. Start in a neutral position and go from there.

I’m probably missing something, but aim for comfort and relative uniformity to begin with and don’t be afraid to make small adjustments as you ride until you find a position that feels best for you. There are almost certainly a number of pedal-cleat setup videos on the internets. Don’t hesitate to check them out if you feel like you need some visual help. I bet Peloton has one. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:13 AM, RogueStout said:

That's my biggest problem. I went out Saturday and even around 50 degrees I couldn't feel my toes for a good hour afterwards. Not so bad on a road bike but MTB I really can't do anything technical if I can't feel my feet.

I have embrocation cream that helps, but I have to put it on my feet a solid hour (or more) before I ride for it to really help, and you can't put it on your hands really. 

I live in LA and it's colder than San Diego by almost nothing. Nevertheless, at now over 60 years of age, my days of running in 50 degree weather are over. For years, I religiously ran in the evening after work most days and would endure having my toes gradually turn a shade of purple during the winter. Eventually I also endured plantar fasciitis by getting shot up with cortisone by my personal physician who was a lunatic about running. After seeing a podiatrist, he convinced me the longer I ran without resting my foot, the longer my rehab would be and he was correct. For years I then did a treadmill until I wore it out and switched to a Nordic Track ski simulator because of lack of time to supplement the treadmill with free weights for an upper body workout. I eventually wore that out too.

I tell you all this because it appears you're a younger version of me and suspect that, like me, you just don't feel right if you don't work out. Don't know how old you are but two years ago I discovered another machine that I really, really like. It's a Schwinn AirDyne. Differs from a Peloton in that unless you want to purchase a supplement to it, you aren't going to have a video to have someone encouraging you to push yourself hard. However, you sound like me in being so self-motivated that you don't need that. Assuming you use not just the pedals but the arm pushing portion, the AirDyne's fan makes it feel like you're biking against a breeze and it's a great cardio workout while also working your shoulders, triceps and lats. If you aren't wedded to running, I highly recommend it.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I live in LA and it's colder than San Diego by almost nothing. Nevertheless, at now over 60 years of age, my days of running in 50 degree weather are over. For years, I religiously ran in the evening after work most days and would endure having my toes gradually turn a shade of purple during the winter. Eventually I also endured plantar fasciitis by getting shot up with cortisone by my personal physician who was a lunatic about running. After seeing a podiatrist, he convinced me the longer I ran without resting my foot, the longer my rehab would be and he was correct. For years I then did a treadmill until I wore it out and switched to a Nordic Track ski simulator because of lack of time to supplement the treadmill with free weights for an upper body workout. I eventually wore that out too.

I tell you all this because it appears you're a younger version of me and suspect that, like me, you just don't feel right if you don't work out. Don't know how old you are but two years ago I discovered another machine that I really, really like. It's a Schwinn AirDyne. Differs from a Peloton in that unless you want to purchase a supplement to it, you aren't going to have a video to have someone encouraging you to push yourself hard. However, you sound like me in being so self-motivated that you don't need that. Assuming you use not just the pedals but the arm pushing portion, the AirDyne's fan makes it feel like you're biking against a breeze and it's a great cardio workout while also working your shoulders, triceps and lats. If you aren't wedded to running, I highly recommend it.

wait, running at 50 degrees makes you cold? holy heck if I'm running above 60 degrees I have to worry a little bit about overheating. 50 is perfect

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.