Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Peloton

I’ve taken a few spin classes across the years, and they’re okay, but can’t bring myself to buy a stationary bike for the home. Kudos to you guys who do it; exercise is good, but I’d much rather ride outside, even in winter. 

My BIL and FIL have one and I am planning on getting one too. My knees and ankles are starting to bother me from running and high impact cardio, taking 2 days of low impact cardio a month will really help. Plus I love spinning as a workout and the interval sets they have are great. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

36 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I’ve taken a few spin classes across the years, and they’re okay, but can’t bring myself to buy a stationary bike for the home. Kudos to you guys who do it; exercise is good, but I’d much rather ride outside, even in winter. 

Actually, kudos to you. I'd rather ride outside, but it's just too time consuming and I get too lazy. So kudos to you for having that drive and making the time.

Never tried one but I did spin down at Pivot (downtown Boise) that has the Stages bikes and they had some really good instructors. It ain't cycling but was fun and definitely helped keep the beer/holiday cheer weight off during the winter. I am a total pu$$y about the cold and don't ride after November until it warms up a bit, so it's a nice stop-gap.

I'll probably go with Zwift this winter though.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

Actually, kudos to you. I'd rather ride outside, but it's just too time consuming and I get too lazy. So kudos to you for having that drive and making the time.

Thanks, but for me, you indoor riders are the heroes. I have rocks, loose dirt, technical trails, and mountain lions (only once, tbh) on the mtn bike, and tight shoulders, gravel and the occasional yahoo tying to squeeze me on the road to keep me distracted from the pain. Your only distraction is some happy f#$k in Lycra (I wear it on the road, so my balls get squeezed too) encourage-yelling at you. I’m certain that you suffer more. 

27 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Never tried one but I did spin down at Pivot (downtown Boise) that has the Stages bikes and they had some really good instructors. It ain't cycling but was fun and definitely helped keep the beer/holiday cheer weight off during the winter. I am a total pu$$y about the cold and don't ride after November until it warms up a bit, so it's a nice stop-gap.

I'll probably go with Zwift this winter though.

The trainer is even worse than a spin bike. I always feel like I’m going to destroy my dropouts if I stand up for a few revolutions, and my package ends up numb on any spin longer than 30 minutes. Torture! Give me numb fingers and toes any day.

8 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Am I the only person that owns one of these, Peloton Plus?

I’m on it six days a week, currently my thighs are burning like @Wyoguns‘s Mom’s crotch. 

Favorite instructor is definitely Cody, @RSF wouldn’t like him because he’s gay.  

I run and/or bike five days a week, always outdoors no matter what time of year. But then again, I live in San Diego. B) No Peloton needed.

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

I’d much rather ride outside, did it back in the day in Key West and recently Sanibel.  But those are very friendly bike cities, I’m too worried about getting hit by a car.  

2 minutes ago, crixus said:

I run and/or bike five days a week, always outdoors no matter what the weather. But then again, I live in San Diego. B) No Peloton needed. 

Anybody who braves the horrific San Diego winters riding and running outside is even more heroic than the stationary bike advocate. My heart’s all a flutter as I type this. 

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I’d much rather ride outside, did it back in the day in Key West and recently Sanibel.  But those are very friendly bike cities, I’m too worried about getting hit by a car.  

I understand that. The risk is real. I need to break down and get a rear view mirror on my bar end. I’m a very aware rider, and never have anything plugged into my ears that would distract me from a car coming up from the rear, but that’s certainly not a fooI proof method for avoiding being run over. I also keep to back roads and neighborhoods as much as possible, which is fairly easy to do in most of Reno, but there are some routs where you can’t avoid streets with a fair amount of traffic. 

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

What do you estimate the cost savings to be going this route? 

It was like $700 or $800 for the bike and $12 a month for the subscription.  I think the peloton was like 2 or 3k?

My cardio purchase will be a Concept2 rower.  Love those bad boys.  I am skiddish on subscriptions as I don't see them lasting forever.  A little maintenance periodically and I can just watch a movie or a game and workout.  But I always like hearing people doing what works for them to stay in shape, so kudos, and solid subtle "I have a Peloton" brag.  :cheers:

Woah woah woah, knock if off with the bike talk already. I can see old white guys squeezed into 2 sizes too small bike shorts any old time

Is there someone who lives in San Diego in this thread? OMG How awesome must that be? I hear there's like weather there and stuff. Sounds AMAAAAZING!!!

How far do you live from the beach?!

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

31 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

The trainer is even worse than a spin bike. I always feel like I’m going to destroy my dropouts if I stand up for a few revolutions, and my package ends up numb on any spin longer than 30 minutes. Torture! Give me numb fingers and toes any day.

That's my biggest problem. I went out Saturday and even around 50 degrees I couldn't feel my toes for a good hour afterwards. Not so bad on a road bike but MTB I really can't do anything technical if I can't feel my feet.

I have embrocation cream that helps, but I have to put it on my feet a solid hour (or more) before I ride for it to really help, and you can't put it on your hands really. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok