Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

Philosophical Question of the Day

Is a Philly Cheesesteak just a melt from Philadelphia???

30 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

True cheesesteak is chipped ribeye, onions, whiz on an amoroso roll. 

Also known as whiz with.  

And if the question is Pats or Genos, it’s neither.  

But is it just another melt sandwich???

50 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Yes.

But the real question... is a taco a sandwich?

My 16 yo daughter and I had an epic debate on sandwiches. There is fertile ground to till here...

As to the OP, I have no idea what a melt is and find the discussion lame. Debating classifications of established sandwiches is lame when the rel philosophical question is "what is a sandwich?"

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Huh.  I gotta think that one over.

I think I gotta say no.  I mean a hamburger isn't a sandwich.  A patty melt is kind of a hybrid sandwich/hamburger.  But no one really accuses a hamburger of being a sandwich, right?  So I don't think you can call a hot dog a sandwich.  

18 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

True cheesesteak is chipped ribeye, onions, whiz on an amoroso roll. 

Also known as whiz with.  

And if the question is Pats or Genos, it’s neither.  

Wife and I got one of each recently to see and, quite frankly, had far better cheesesteaks elsewhere.  Pats and Genos both overrated, but Genos fries are pretty good!

v0icAvfW.jpg

Hard for me to call a sandwich with cheez whiz a melt.  It's just some garbage some heart attack prone guy from Philly made when they were drunk trying to scrap some shit together.  It really should not have any hype, but I suppose Philly doesn't have a distinct food, so it is what it is.  And I did the debate (when I was drunk, only way I am eating that shit twice), and both are meh.  Nothing special about any part of it.

A proper cheesesteak is on an amoroso bun, made with sliced rib eye, cooked with onions and placed on the bun with whiz, although many locals go with provolone.  Salt and pepper are crucial as well.  TP is 1,000% right, Pat's and Geno's are shitty tourist traps.  The only time anyone goes there is to give a visitor a picture in front of the sign.  If you want a legit cheesesteak, go to Jim's or Sonny's. Finally, any "cheeseteak" made outside of a 25 mile radius of Philadelphia city hall is not a cheesesteak, it's abomination. Oddly enough, chicken cheesesteaks are good too if you want to save a few calories.  Same recipe, but shaved chicken.

Calling a cheesesteak a melt or a french dip in philly will get your ass kicked - people are very passionate about their steaks around here.

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I think I gotta say no.  I mean a hamburger isn't a sandwich.  A patty melt is kind of a hybrid sandwich/hamburger.  But no one really accuses a hamburger of being a sandwich, right?  So I don't think you can call a hot dog a sandwich.  

Wut? A burger is absolutely a sandwich!

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I believe McDonald's refers to the Big Mac as a sandwich.