Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV

When Scott Frost gets fired from Nebraska, I'd like to see UNLV break the bank and get him here.

Just sayin. I'm sure he'll already be burned out from trying to rebuild Nebraska.

I did see somebody else mention Orgeron, lol. Can you imagine him here? :D

We can dream.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:44 PM, Rebels18 said:

Buncha Mormons in the review booth tonight

Cost us at least 1 game in Provostan.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:03 PM, 4UNLV said:

That slot machine is so Vegas, lol.

any question as to why its Lower Nevada?

14 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

When Scott Frost gets fired from Nebraska, I'd like to see UNLV break the bank and get him here.

Just sayin. I'm sure he'll already be burned out from trying to rebuild Nebraska.

I did see somebody else mention Orgeron, lol. Can you imagine him here? :D

We can dream.

What do you think UNLV is?

I really thought we’d win this game and we almost did. They couldn’t stop Williams and averaged over 7 yds per carry and they helped us with two turnovers (I’m including their QB fumble on 4th and goal at the 1) and a handful of timely penalties and missed FGs. Aside from the opening drive of the 3rd qtr, the rebel offense didn’t do anything the final three quarters and didn’t take advantage of stepping on USUs neck when they had the chance. It was there for the taking.

I feel awful for the team, but especially for CW. He did everything he could to win and doesn’t deserve this type of senior campaign.

8 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

I really thought we’d win this game and we almost did. They couldn’t stop Williams and averaged over 7 yds per carry and they helped us with two turnovers (I’m including their QB fumble on 4th and goal at the 1) and a handful of timely penalties and missed FGs. Aside from the opening drive of the 3rd qtr, the rebel offense didn’t do anything the final three quarters and didn’t take advantage of stepping on USUs neck when they had the chance. It was there for the taking.

I feel awful for the team, but especially for CW. He did everything he could to win and doesn’t deserve this type of senior campaign.

Feel terrible for Chuck.  He should get a national award just bc he stuck with it here and keeps getting his efforts wasted.  He could've transferred to a bigger program like Justice O to Miami.  As for the game, USU did everything they could to hand that W to us on a silver platter.  It's just beyond absurd right now.

23 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

Feel terrible for Chuck.  He should get a national award just bc he stuck with it here and keeps getting his efforts wasted.  He could've transferred to a bigger program like Justice O to Miami.  As for the game, USU did everything they could to hand that W to us on a silver platter.  It's just beyond absurd right now.

I personally think he was foolish to stay.  He could start at a decent number of P5 schools.

REBEL OF THE GAME:

It was the Chuck Wagon Show at Allegiant as Super Senior running back Charles Williams turned in a career night – finishing with 221 yards on 27 carries and three touchdowns, including a 75-yard scoring scamper. Williams became the first Rebel to go over the 200-yard mark on the ground since Tim Cornett went for 220 at Air Force on Nov. 21, 2013. Williams' efforts pushed him past Lexington Thomas into second place on the UNLV career rushing list with 3,565 yards.

STAT OF THE GAME:

With his 26-yard field goal, which opened the day's scoring, PK Daniel Gutierrez improved to 9-for-9 on three-pointers this season and 30-of-36 in his career, which raised his career percentage to 83.3 -- the highest in school history

QUOTABLE:

"It doesn't amount to one call or one play, we've got to do a better job collectively to put ourselves in position to close that one out. We had the lead the entire game and did a lot of good stuff, but we've got to get healthy again and we've got another one Thursday night. Quick turnaround, but we've got to go forward."

-UNLV Head Coach Marcus Arroyo

REBEL NOTES:

-Charles Williams' three touchdowns gave him 25 in his career, moving him up two spots into a tie for fourth at the school with Mack Gilchrist (1968-71)

-The 221 net yards on the ground tied for the ninth-most in UNLV single-game history

-The game featured a wild first quarter that included one sequence of scores coming on three consecutive plays from scrimmage – a UNLV field goal followed by a USU 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown followed by a 75-yard rushing touchdown by the Rebels

-Utah State, which visited Las Vegas for the first time since 2017, improved to 5-0 vs. UNLV since joining the Mountain West

-UNLV finished 3-for-3 in the red zone Saturday, improving its season numbers to 17-of-18

-Including the block, USU missed on three field-goal attempts, marking the second time this fall that a UNLV opponent missed three (EWU in Game One)

-True freshman quarterback Cameron Friel started for the third time this season but was knocked out of the game late with an injury and was spelled by Justin Rogers for the second straight outing

-Freshman Cameron Oliver hauled in his second interception of the season and returned it 45 yards

-UNLV now has five interceptions through six games after picking off only two total passes in the six games that made up the 2020 season

-LB Austin Ajiake had a game-high 18 total tackles while Jacoby Windmon had 16, including four TFL

-UNLV blocked a field goal for the first time since vs. Hawaii in 2019

-This marked the third time this season that UNLV led at halftime (17-14) but the first time the team held a lead after the third quarter this fall (24-21)

-UNLV has trailed after the first quarter in just one game this season – 7-0 vs. Iowa State

NEXT FOR THE REBELS:

UNLV will right back at Allegiant Stadium on Thursday when it hosts San Jose State starting at 8 pm PT.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

A total build, not a rebuild.

I don't think that's the case.  We've recruited over most MWC programs for at least this current cycle. 

It's easy to recruit here.  It's not easy to put it together into a winning team.  UNLV needs to hire a proven coach that has the 'capitial' to generate a more focused attitude.  We need a coach that kids want to play for, not come to Vegas and have a blast.  It's not like recruiting to bum+++++ backwater country in which the only thing going on is the university and/or football program and that's all the players have to focus on.  Out here, there are distractions and a lot of them.  Football is probably a little bit more down the list for the players here than it is in Reno or Fort Collins or Laramie. 

Arroyo is a clown and will be likely coaching TE's at a JC in a few years.  He's not the guy.  UNLV needs to over-spend - over their heads - on a proven coach with serious capital (i.e. respect) in order to turn this program around.

Looking back at the Rebels schedule, Utah State is the only team the Rebels have played this season that is not currently or previously ranked in the top 25 and for what it’s worth, Eastern Washington is currently undefeated and ranked 2nd in the FCS.

1 hour ago, packNV said:

Is Tate still hurt?  I'm supposed they went back to Rogers.

Tate came in for 1 play, a designed QB keeper, got like 1 yard and went back out. Rogers is incapable at this point of playing the position. He can’t/won’t run and he is way too slow setting up for a pass so everybody just focuses on our RB while they pin their ears back to rush the QB. Friel and Brumfield are our only capable options and they keep rotating through injuries with neither really healthy since the first game.

4 hours ago, 702Canary said:

I don't think that's the case.  We've recruited over most MWC programs for at least this current cycle. 

It's easy to recruit here.  It's not easy to put it together into a winning team.  UNLV needs to hire a proven coach that has the 'capitial' to generate a more focused attitude.  We need a coach that kids want to play for, not come to Vegas and have a blast.  It's not like recruiting to bum+++++ backwater country in which the only thing going on is the university and/or football program and that's all the players have to focus on.  Out here, there are distractions and a lot of them.  Football is probably a little bit more down the list for the players here than it is in Reno or Fort Collins or Laramie. 

Arroyo is a clown and will be likely coaching TE's at a JC in a few years.  He's not the guy.  UNLV needs to over-spend - over their heads - on a proven coach with serious capital (i.e. respect) in order to turn this program around.

I simply meant that we have never had a successful football program, whereas Nebraska certainly did at one point, and need a rebuild.

Arroyo has recruited better than the previous coaches, Bobby Hauck didn't do much. Sanchez did what he could, but he came in from high school, and was hamstrung from the start.

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Tate came in for 1 play, a designed QB keeper, got like 1 yard and went back out. Rogers is incapable at this point of playing the position. He can’t/won’t run and he is way too slow setting up for a pass so everybody just focuses on our RB while they pin their ears back to rush the QB. Friel and Brumfield are our only capable options and they keep rotating through injuries with neither really healthy since the first game.

And this was the stupidest thing, everybody knows what he is going to come in for. 'Hey, let's just tell the defense what play we're running'.. But I'm thinking back to his days at Gorman, didn't he air it out fairly often? If he's going to be here, let him play more than one play, and see what he can do.

But still, if Brumfield is good to go, as his dad implied...

29 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

And this was the stupidest thing, everybody knows what he is going to come in for. 'Hey, let's just tell the defense what play we're running'.. But I'm thinking back to his days at Gorman, didn't he air it out fairly often? If he's going to be here, let him play more than one play, and see what he can do.

But still, if Brumfield is good to go, as his dad implied...

Somewhere I heard that Brumfield wasn’t suited out for the game? Whatever the deal is with Martell he seams to be behind Rogers in the lineup. It doesn’t matter though because after Brumfield and Friel the cupboard is empty. Brumfield has the best stats and ratings by far and he himself lends a dual threat on offense. He is by far and away our best chance to win.