Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Is Biden failing?

26 minutes ago, Maji said:

You might get a kick out of this, but I applied to Hillsdale College. I wanted to major in political science there. I also loved history in HS.

Re: the analyst question: a Business analyst. The finance courses I took in college never really intrigued me.

I think I'm good re: the connection offer, but I really appreciate it

My daughter goes to College of Idaho on a full scholarship  she earned worth $45,000 a year. I was like awesome you can major in Engineering, Computer science , or accounting , or biochemistry an  have an army of job recruiters hunting you down after graduation! She is majoring in Politicall Economy and wants to go to Harvard Law! I have no doubt she can do it . 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

My daughter goes to College of Idaho on a full scholarship  she earned worth $45,000 a year. I was like awesome you can major in Engineering, Computer science , or accounting , or biochemistry an  have an army of job recruiters hunting you down after graduation! She is majoring in Politicall Economy and wants to go to Harvard Law! I have no doubt she can do it . 

Wow, a full scholarship is quite something. Isn't College of Idaho also highly regarded?

Congratulations on her accomplishment!

15 minutes ago, Maji said:

My political views were much different at the time. I spent most of HS in a rural, conservative (some libertarianism too) environment. I first became disillusioned with the GOP when Trump emerged, although I still considered myself right-leaning at the time

Fair enough.

28 minutes ago, Maji said:

Wow, a full scholarship is quite something. Isn't College of Idaho also highly regarded?

Congratulations on her accomplishment!

It’s a small liberal arts college similar to say Westminster in Utah, Carroll College on Montana, or Whitman in Washington 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Do the chess and guide thing. Be "poor" (heavy emphasis on the quotes) and happy.  Listen to your gut and never go against it.

Thanks man.  I just want you to know that I really do love you, as a neighbor, a friend, a peer.  I love you.  You have one of the most genuine personalities I have ever encountered.  The future holds many possibilities for all of us, some of the outcomes will be out of our control, some within.  I consider myself a very fortunate individual to have been graced with the relationships made on this board and to any new posters reading this, please join us and be a part of the spirited debates, the heated dialogue and the general communion.

The best part of this place is, no matter what, every contributor really, really does care about one another.  All the barbs aside that may occur.  It's community.  

Even if Biden and Democrats are failing that in no way means that Republicans are succeeding.  Even if Democrats get nothing done legislatively they can just spend their whole time running against Ron De Santis and Greg Abbott and/or Donald Trump and the coup plotters.  Republicans don't have any serious proposals other than to lock down the anti-vaxxer vote and to try to make Trump a dictator.  

We should be careful to think that Biden's failures would be Republicans gain.

The 2022 mid-terms are going to be very interesting and it may turn out to be a Georgia or Texas situation for the Democrats:

A Georgia Situation is where Trump takes a dump on Republicans because he doesn't want them to win without him on the ticket because he sees that weakens him so he sabotages the effort and Democrats get good turnout.

A Texas situation is where Democrats always think they are JUST over the hurdle to get a victory but can never close the deal.

The thing that is a bunch of bullshit is that there are swing voters who will swing over to the anti-vaxxer camp to give that a try as opposed to following science and vaccine mandates to get things back to normal.  Republican anti-vaxxers are trying to make it very easy for Democrats in 2022 by making it a referendum on anti-vaxxers versus sanity instead of a choice between two governing philosophies.  Republicans have thrown overboard any governing principles and are now the part of the "Big Lie" and "Anti-Vaxxerism."   Democrats will slam Republicans as a bunch of coup plotting anti-vaxxers.

There are no swing voters...it will depend on how amped up the Anti-Vaxxer insurrectionists are to vote versus those in the Democratic coalition.  It will be all about base turnout more than anything with the only marginal voters moving because of covid strategies.   If Biden fails legislatively the damage is that he loses his core supporters, not that somehow a "swing Trump voter" is going to see the light and vote for a Democrat this time, LOL!

Posted Image

13 minutes ago, Akkula said:

We should be careful to think that Biden's failures would be Republicans gain.

I don't agree with the whole passing good things would result in Dems winning the midterms mindset. The Republicans were likely to dominate the midterms as soon as a Democratic candidate won the presidency

On 10/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, Akkula said:

Guys, we are 9 months into unified control of the government and all we have to show for it is an emergency temporary covid 19 law.  Overwhelming majorities of the country believe we should raise taxes on the wealthy and overall giver the average joe a better shake.  

It really feels like we are getting some really "weak tea" leadership on the domestic front.  Biden made a tough decision on Afghanistan but he seems to be wanting to play Mr. Nice Guy so much on the domestic front that he is going to squander his chance.  

The country had a choice and they didn't select Bernie or Trump.  They chose moderate Joe but does moderate mean that you are a weak ass who doesn't push to get your agenda accomplished that you ran on?  Does moderate mean a lack of moral clarity on right from wrong?  

If Biden and the Democrats are sitting saying they didn't do anything because of parliamentary bullshit and "inside baseball" in 2022 they are toast.  Why would anyone vote for them anyway?  If that is the way things are going he had better damn well start getting out there an assigning the blame to those who are standing in the way and not allowing silly parliamentary arguments stand in the way.   He had better start rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies.  Nobody wants "ho-hum Carter II." 

I think your analysis seem pretty accurate. Most pundits are predicting 2022 Republican victory. Clinton and Obama all got crushed in the mid term election. They were both way more popular than Biden.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/11/biden-coronavirus-pandemic-515764

interest polling data. He is dropping with everyone and interesting Democrats aren’t blaming Republicans this time. 

A good point near the end. Things could be a lot different a year from now. Biden is getting beat up by everyone right now. Once Covid clears up things could improve dramatically for Biden. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:23 PM, Maji said:

I don't agree with the whole passing good things would result in Dems winning the midterms mindset. The Republicans were likely to dominate the midterms as soon as a Democratic candidate won the presidency

Until dynamics change this is how it is. It was always and uphill battle for the Democrats in 2022. Based on everything going on a Democrat hold in 2022 would be major surprise at this point. But history buffs also know Biden’s chances of re-election are good with a Republican take over. His age is an unprecedented issue though. 

2 hours ago, robe said:

I think your analysis seem pretty accurate. Most pundits are predicting 2022 Republican victory. Clinton and Obama all got crushed in the mid term election. They were both way more popular than Biden.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/11/biden-coronavirus-pandemic-515764

interest polling data. He is dropping with everyone and interesting Democrats aren’t blaming Republicans this time. 

A good point near the end. Things could be a lot different a year from now. Biden is getting beat up by everyone right now. Once Covid clears up things could improve dramatically for Biden. 

Democrats could actually be in real trouble if they had a real alternative party with a governing philosophy.  Instead they have a cult that is going to try to make an issue against vaccine mandates that have 60% support of the American public.

I don't think @Maji's analysis where we just look at past results to predict future results is a valid way to do it.  They don't have a black man, Hillary, or Obamacare to run against.  They need something to demonize so they have foolishly chosen vaccine mandates as their hill to die on....go ahead!  If these mythical fence sitting moderates do exist do we REALLY think they are going to lean Republican when that is their platform and installing an Orange dictator?

Democrats win when turnout is high.  The only way Republicans win is by default if the base gets too discouraged with a lack of results and people don't turn out to vote.    Republicans also know they can't win if there is high turnout so that is why they are the party of voter suppression.

The reason I don't think a typical midterm election scenario will play out is because people are really paying attention after the coup attempt and covid.  The conjobs may also not come out to vote because Trump is not on the ballot so there are a lot of moving parts that we don't see in a typical midterm.  

Posted Image

9 hours ago, Akkula said:

Democrats could actually be in real trouble if they had a real alternative party with a governing philosophy.  Instead they have a cult that is going to try to make an issue against vaccine mandates that have 60% support of the American public.

I don't think @Maji's analysis where we just look at past results to predict future results is a valid way to do it.  They don't have a black man, Hillary, or Obamacare to run against.  They need something to demonize so they have foolishly chosen vaccine mandates as their hill to die on....go ahead!  If these mythical fence sitting moderates do exist do we REALLY think they are going to lean Republican when that is their platform and installing an Orange dictator?

Democrats win when turnout is high.  The only way Republicans win is by default if the base gets too discouraged with a lack of results and people don't turn out to vote.    Republicans also know they can't win if there is high turnout so that is why they are the party of voter suppression.

The reason I don't think a typical midterm election scenario will play out is because people are really paying attention after the coup attempt and covid.  The conjobs may also not come out to vote because Trump is not on the ballot so there are a lot of moving parts that we don't see in a typical midterm.  

Interesting, its a different take on it than a lot of the pundits. It certainly has some merit, mid terms are usually low turn out election. A lot of laws have been passed that will not help the Democrats in 2022 though. 

I still don’t think this mid term will have the interest you think it does. Will the Democrats base be fired up for this Biden led party. I don’t think so. The Democrats are a split party now and I think they are starting to lose faith in Biden. There is one thing that will bring out the Democrats and that is Trump. Democrats hate Trump with as much of a passion as a 1/3 of this country loves him. But with him not actually being on the ballot I don’t see the turn out. Plus you throw in gains with Republican redistricting. I do think the Democrats can recover enough to hold the senate and maybe gain a seat or 2 so Manchin has no power. I don’t think house can be retained by the Democrats maybe salvage enough for a small Republican majority.

The winner of the house in 2022 might decide the Presidency in 2024. That will motivate some but millions don’t care much. I’m certain  30% of the those who voted for Biden honestly didn’t really care who won. They are frustrated with what is going on but don’t relate it to their vote. Probably the same for Trump. Those voters who don’t care usually carry the Democrats over in presidential election. Because the Democrats have a huge advantage of bringing in those votes in big cities. That’s why you see multi districts with 85 to 90% votes for Democrats and rarely a Republican district like that. 

The Democrats will not have the money in a mid term to pull in these votes. These people aren’t going to vote without someone dragging them to vote. 

One last issue. The Republicans are like Teflon this cycle. I doubt anything is going to stick that Democrats throw at them. The Democrats voters aren’t even blaming Republicans at least as a whole in polls. 

voter integrity law

right to life laws

conservative Supreme Court 

covid issues

Trump

I doubt any of those will be able to move the needle which is going to be frustrating to a lot of Democrats who are knowledgeable like you. And those are the supposed gold mine issues for Democrats. 

But we are in unprecedented times. We will see who analyzed it correctly. Plus things could change drastically in a year. And you might have analyzed it correctly.

lol that you think biden has unified control of government. he has like 5 or 6 holdouts in the senate who are just loving manchin and sinema eating up all of the airtime.

manchin is quite possibly the most corrupt senator around and that's something given he serves alongside serial insider traders on the R side and a guy who committed outright bribery in Menendez.   Would that he were corrupt in a productive way, dems could just steer pork to WV but he's pure self-interest and WV will suffer for it.

sinema is just dogshit dumb and high on her own supply.   In the running with Tuberville for the least intelligent senator.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, robe said:

Interesting, its a different take on it than a lot of the pundits. It certainly has some merit, mid terms are usually low turn out election. A lot of laws have been passed that will not help the Democrats in 2022 though. 

I still don’t think this mid term will have the interest you think it does. Will the Democrats base be fired up for this Biden led party. I don’t think so. The Democrats are a split party now and I think they are starting to lose faith in Biden. There is one thing that will bring out the Democrats and that is Trump. Democrats hate Trump with as much of a passion as a 1/3 of this country loves him. But with him not actually being on the ballot I don’t see the turn out. Plus you throw in gains with Republican redistricting. I do think the Democrats can recover enough to hold the senate and maybe gain a seat or 2 so Manchin has no power. I don’t think house can be retained by the Democrats maybe salvage enough for a small Republican majority.

The winner of the house in 2022 might decide the Presidency in 2024. That will motivate some but millions don’t care much. I’m certain  30% of the those who voted for Biden honestly didn’t really care who won. They are frustrated with what is going on but don’t relate it to their vote. Probably the same for Trump. Those voters who don’t care usually carry the Democrats over in presidential election. Because the Democrats have a huge advantage of bringing in those votes in big cities. That’s why you see multi districts with 85 to 90% votes for Democrats and rarely a Republican district like that. 

The Democrats will not have the money in a mid term to pull in these votes. These people aren’t going to vote without someone dragging them to vote. 

One last issue. The Republicans are like Teflon this cycle. I doubt anything is going to stick that Democrats throw at them. The Democrats voters aren’t even blaming Republicans at least as a whole in polls. 

voter integrity law

right to life laws

conservative Supreme Court 

covid issues

Trump

I doubt any of those will be able to move the needle which is going to be frustrating to a lot of Democrats who are knowledgeable like you. And those are the supposed gold mine issues for Democrats. 

But we are in unprecedented times. We will see who analyzed it correctly. Plus things could change drastically in a year. And you might have analyzed it correctly.

You ask for a miracle for Dems?  Trump is going to so his best to sabotage 2022 mid terma for cons.  He just threatened to discourage his voters from voting unless Republicans find the non existent fraud!:facepalm: :Clapping:

He will try to tank then because he doesnt want them to win without him on the ticket.   That would diminish him.   If he tanks them he can keep them addicted to him.  If they win they may think they don't need him anymore. 

Posted Image

On 10/14/2021 at 6:56 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

lol that you think biden has unified control of government. he has like 5 or 6 holdouts in the senate who are just loving manchin and sinema eating up all of the airtime.

Precisely. On many policies, multiple Dems don't support Biden's stance. Manchin and Sinema make their opposition public and it gives those Senators cover to keep their opposition private

8 minutes ago, Maji said:

Precisely. On many policies, multiple Dems don't support Biden's stance. Manchin and Sinema make their opposition public and it gives those Senators cover to keep their opposition private

Sinema sinking drug pricing reform means Menendez doesn't have to lift a finger.   You can probably round up 4 or 5 senators squeamish about climate/green energy legislation, but Manchin gives them cover.

edit: mass media is incredibly complicit in this, too, because these fights over the bill are framed as moderates vs progs instead of the more accurate "moderates vs biden".  It's his bill.  His agenda.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes. Badly.

did you read game of thrones? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

A few times. I’m listening...

These days kinda remind me of the line, "The King eats and the Hand takes the shit". 

We've spent probably.... 40 years eating. No matter who was gonna be president, they'd be taking the shit right now. 

Well that and that 50 democrat Senate is probably worse for Biden than a 49 democrat Senate would have been. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.