Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ltcpilot

Air Force vs Boise State

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

Yep

Would feel better with some more players back.  Hoping for a positive injury report.  Hard to forgive AFA last year for maybe destroying Holani's career with the cheap shot flying helmet to his knees as he was stood up.

Dirtiest team in football, and it's not the cut blocking.  AFA intentionally targets the knees on offense and defense, tackling and blocking.  

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

(LONG)

A couple of things; first about this game and then about this team.

This game. I can not fathom a scenario where Boise wins this game that doesn't involve multiple TOs. Boise is #1 in TO margin (+8), but AF is #2 (+6). So even that, Boise doesn't look to have an advantage. AF has run all over good Boise defenses and this in NOT a good Boise defense. Boise ranks last (by a lot) in rushing offense going against the #2 rushing defense. Then on the other side Boise is second to last in rushing defense where AF is the #1 rushing offense in the country. This is a HORRIBLE matchup. Air Force by a lot.

Now about this team. I've held off on judgement for a bit, but six games is a good enough sample size to draw conclusions. For 20 years every time Boise loses an important coach/player league fans say "it's over" for Boise, and for 20 years they've been wrong. They are finally right. Not that they are going to be terrible, but being the team to beat every year is over. They'll still be good and maybe win the league some years, but it will likely be like the Big Sky days. They'll win from time to time, but most years they'll be middle, maybe upper middle. A good indicator for future success, for me, has always been looking at yards per play offense/defense. Boise is terrible this year. They are a minus 0.73 ypp on the season. That is 2nd worst in the conference. Only UNLV is worse. New Mexico is better than Boise! It's the worst rushing defense since their first couple years in FBS and I can't even remember a team that was this bad at running the ball. They've basically been winning with smoke and mirrors. Their halftime adjustments are the worst I've ever seen in a Boise team. TOs have been huge for them. And while that is good they are creating them, it's a hard predictor for future success as they can be cyclical from game to game. Case in point, they have lost the TO battle twice (UNR and OSU) and it cost them in both games. So they basically NEED to win the TO battle for success. I didn't really see a superior team against USU and BYU. Competitive, sure, but TOs won them the game. Offensively and defensively they were even or below. Even against UTEP they weren't dominant in anything except TOs. That was the reason the score was what it was. 

The numbers look terrible and the results aren't great. There are only a couple of things I can gravitate to regarding the future of the team under AA. I believe you have to give a coach a chance to build a team... even if he was handed a great team. He may very well be able to turn it around. Kalani Sitake looked like an awful hire early in his HC career and he was able to turn it around and has done well since a rough start. So there is still time to turn it around and he deserves a chance to do that. The other thing that I'm hoping is a major factor in all of this is that the record of Boise opponents is a staggering 25-7. That's an insane record. I really hope the numbers are a result of a very difficult schedule. Injuries have obviously hurt them, but Boise is at a place that they should be able to overcome things like that. They have in the past. 

I really hope the last two factors carry a lot of weight. Otherwise, Boise just becomes a nice little G5 school. 

Decent prognosis. I will add this. If BSU can keep it going like they played last week, then look out. BSU has suffered many injuries this year and are leaning on third string in some positions. The running game has been atrocious, but I firmly believe we have that ironed out now. two games on the schedule could have easily swung the other way. loss to OSU at home because of bad ref call. The UCF game could have easily been the other way. Nevada wooped us straight up. I don't like Boise's chances against AFA but I'm taking them by 2 points because of the homer vote.  I predict we go 9-4 with the only other loss coming in the CCG this year and I hope I'm wrong on that. 

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Would feel better with some more players back.  Hoping for a positive injury report.  Hard to forgive AFA last year for maybe destroying Holani's career with the cheap shot flying helmet to his knees as he was stood up.

Dirtiest team in football, and it's not the cut blocking.  AFA intentionally targets the knees on offense and defense, tackling and blocking.  

Quit yer damn whining.  You beat the dirtiest team in football last week.

Just now, tailingpermit said:

The WYO game where they rushed for 211yds. 

Bet you a dollar they don’t.  

That was against Wyoming's rush defense... they play Boise's rush defense today. 

Yeah, fine, I'll take your buck