Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ltcpilot

Air Force vs Boise State

7 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

That’s a cut block. Chop blocks are illegal. The last three years AFA and Boise St have played there have been 2 chop block penalties called - both were committed by Boise St

It’s legit the lead image for a story on chop blocks by the Colorado Springs Gazette.  

Why are you so ass hurt over this?

32 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

There was plenty of beer on the west side. Yeah, other than Army or Navy, not many other teams bring many fans. They were unprepared for sure. 

The AF fans in front of me seemed more pissed about it than the wyo fans.  Made me laugh.

44 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

It’s legit the lead image for a story on chop blocks by the Colorado Springs Gazette.  

Why are you so ass hurt over this?

I’m pretty sure it’s the other way around. You’re the one that brought it up 

I had one beer I should have had a six pack.  The first half was boring,  wyo coming off a bye week at 4-0 was a huge disappointment all but the last four minutes of that half.  Wyo fans can at least celebrate those four minutes. Talking crap about chop blocks after the way your team played is a joke.  

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

11 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

I had one beer I should have had a six pack.  The first half was boring,  wyo coming off a bye week at 4-0 was a huge disappointment all but the last four minutes of that half.  Wyo fans can at least celebrate those four minutes. Talking crap about chop blocks after the way your team played is a joke.  

Tailingpermit is a boise fan not a wyoming fan.

Oh shit do we have to play the knee wreckers. I thought they bailed to the AAC. They like to portray the good guy image, but they’re as dirty as BYU. And Calhoun is the biggest crybaby coach in the conference. Bachmeier passing ypg should get a boost this week. 

(LONG)

A couple of things; first about this game and then about this team.

This game. I can not fathom a scenario where Boise wins this game that doesn't involve multiple TOs. Boise is #1 in TO margin (+8), but AF is #2 (+6). So even that, Boise doesn't look to have an advantage. AF has run all over good Boise defenses and this in NOT a good Boise defense. Boise ranks last (by a lot) in rushing offense going against the #2 rushing defense. Then on the other side Boise is second to last in rushing defense where AF is the #1 rushing offense in the country. This is a HORRIBLE matchup. Air Force by a lot.

Now about this team. I've held off on judgement for a bit, but six games is a good enough sample size to draw conclusions. For 20 years every time Boise loses an important coach/player league fans say "it's over" for Boise, and for 20 years they've been wrong. They are finally right. Not that they are going to be terrible, but being the team to beat every year is over. They'll still be good and maybe win the league some years, but it will likely be like the Big Sky days. They'll win from time to time, but most years they'll be middle, maybe upper middle. A good indicator for future success, for me, has always been looking at yards per play offense/defense. Boise is terrible this year. They are a minus 0.73 ypp on the season. That is 2nd worst in the conference. Only UNLV is worse. New Mexico is better than Boise! It's the worst rushing defense since their first couple years in FBS and I can't even remember a team that was this bad at running the ball. They've basically been winning with smoke and mirrors. Their halftime adjustments are the worst I've ever seen in a Boise team. TOs have been huge for them. And while that is good they are creating them, it's a hard predictor for future success as they can be cyclical from game to game. Case in point, they have lost the TO battle twice (UNR and OSU) and it cost them in both games. So they basically NEED to win the TO battle for success. I didn't really see a superior team against USU and BYU. Competitive, sure, but TOs won them the game. Offensively and defensively they were even or below. Even against UTEP they weren't dominant in anything except TOs. That was the reason the score was what it was. 

The numbers look terrible and the results aren't great. There are only a couple of things I can gravitate to regarding the future of the team under AA. I believe you have to give a coach a chance to build a team... even if he was handed a great team. He may very well be able to turn it around. Kalani Sitake looked like an awful hire early in his HC career and he was able to turn it around and has done well since a rough start. So there is still time to turn it around and he deserves a chance to do that. The other thing that I'm hoping is a major factor in all of this is that the record of Boise opponents is a staggering 25-7. That's an insane record. I really hope the numbers are a result of a very difficult schedule. Injuries have obviously hurt them, but Boise is at a place that they should be able to overcome things like that. They have in the past. 

I really hope the last two factors carry a lot of weight. Otherwise, Boise just becomes a nice little G5 school. 

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

@bsu_alum9

I'm trying to be optimistic. I definitely hope things change, but I'm interested in what I said that's inaccurate. If you could give me some counter points, I'm all ears

It should be a good game with some interesting matchups.  But "I can not fathom a scenario where Boise wins this game that doesn't involve multiple TOs" is just too much hyperbole that I can't handle. 

AFA has played about the #111 schedule in the country compared to Boise's #22 schedule so far.

Who do you think is better, Hank and the BSU pass game or USU?  USU threw the ball for 448 yards, 5 TDs, and 1 INT.   Last year our backup picked apart AFA's defense.  Their numbers are deflated by playing such strong passing attacks such as Wyoming, New Mexico, directional Florida, and Navy in 4 of their 6 games so far.

Boise will pass for about 450 yards, run for 75.  AFA will run for 400, pass for 50.  Game will be determined by 3rd down conversions.  Also, I think Alberstons is pretty good at drawing off sides penalties (one of the best)?  That could cause trouble for a triple-option team by setting them back. 

Also, it was pretty clear that the BSU offensive line was not struggling so much last week, which you'd think carries over.  And the defense is getting closer to full strength and will be able to rotate guys in on the interior DL if needed.

Matlock is going to have a career 10+ tackle game stopping the dive.  Whimpey's played against this offense like 16 times.  But at the end of the day, AFA's secondary just won't be able to handle Shakir/Cobbs/Evans/etc. 

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

It should be a good game with some interesting matchups.  But "I can not fathom a scenario where Boise wins this game that doesn't involve multiple TOs" is just too much hyperbole that I can't handle. 

AFA has played about the #111 schedule in the country compared to Boise's #22 schedule so far.

Who do you think is better, Hank and the BSU pass game or USU?  USU threw the ball for 448 yards, 5 TDs, and 1 INT.   Last year our backup picked apart AFA's defense.  Their numbers are deflated by playing such strong passing attacks such as Wyoming, New Mexico, directional Florida, and Navy in 4 of their 6 games so far.

Boise will pass for about 450 yards, run for 75.  AFA will run for 400, pass for 50.  Game will be determined by 3rd down conversions.  Also, I think Alberstons is pretty good at drawing off sides penalties (one of the best)?  That could cause trouble for a triple-option team by setting them back. 

Also, it was pretty clear that the BSU offensive line was not struggling so much last week, which you'd think carries over.  And the defense is getting closer to full strength and will be able to rotate guys in on the interior DL if needed.

Matlock is going to have a career 10+ tackle game stopping the dive.  Whimpey's played against this offense like 16 times.  But at the end of the day, AFA's secondary just won't be able to handle Shakir/Cobbs/Evans/etc. 

That's fair. If it does come down to 3rd down conversions, that's not great for Boise. Boise has the 2nd worst 3rd down defense in the conference. Air Force should be in very manageable yardage situations for most on the game. It likely won't be like that for Boise. They will likely see a lot of 3rd and long, especially if CHL is out. They are capable of getting 8 and 9 yards on 3rd, but they'll need to do that consistently tomorrow. 

I did point out the schedule as a possible reason why the numbers look the way they do. So you really just repeated what I had already mentioned there. Like I said, I hope that weighs very heavy and the numbers start looking more Boise State like

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

@bsu_alum9

I'm trying to be optimistic. I definitely hope things change, but I'm interested in what I said that's inaccurate. If you could give me some counter points, I'm all ears

Boise's record could be a lot different with just a few plays.  Young, inexperienced staff.  Make a few changes and I don't see an issue as long as they recruit well and they seem to be doing that.  

15 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Boise's record could be a lot different with just a few plays.  Young, inexperienced staff.  Make a few changes and I don't see an issue as long as they recruit well and they seem to be doing that.  

That's very true. They are actually just a few plays from being 6-0. But reality is they would have had to have been lucky to do that. They very easily could have won that UCF game, but they would've stolen it. UCF was clearly the better team that night. Reality is that the Boise offense puts up yards in the 300+ range, which is very un-Boise like. They can't run the ball, which is very un-Boise like. It's been a quarter century the last time I saw a run defense as bad as this Boise team. Their record could be better, but it's only a few plays from being 1-5, as well. 

Last game showed improvement and I'm hoping that continues, but just based on the information available on the field is that of a .500 team... and that's generous 

17 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

To clarify something; when I said "I can't fathom" and didn't mean that a person couldn't, I meant me personally. Almost every game I've watched this year, I'm uneasy in my seat watching just about everyone just march it right down Boise's throat at 5 yards a pop while also busting out big runs too often. I think just about every time I'm watching it, at some point in the game, I think "holy shet, what the hell is Air Force gunna do to us." 

So, it's my personal uneasiness. You're right, Boise should be able to move the ball through the air. You mention Utah State and what they did to the fly Boys. Well, Air Force was driving deep into baggie territory for the game winning score when they fumbled... which ironically was the very first thing I mentioned as the key to a Boise win.