Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Not Too Early...Who’s On Your List To Replace Norvell?

13 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Baldwin would probably jump at the chance to be an FBS head coach.  He'd probably drop Cal Poly in a heartbeat.  Coaches don't give a shit how long they have been somewhere.  Hell some even stay for just a few months.  

A P5 AD would be a fool to hire Norvell right now.  

I don't think he would, people remember that about coaches when they are switching jobs. one thing you don't want to do is burn your bridges. Plus it would be difficult to uproot the family once again as well when you just have settled down. I just don't know about it, heard some people say there were things going against him when he was up for the job here which made it easy to looks away from him when another good candidate came along. 

But right now if he did leave, it would have to be somewhere to like Vanderbilt, UConn or something. But again I don't see anything happening with him after the end of the season at this point.

8 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Norvell hasn't done anything to be lured anywhere yet. We can see at the end of this season but he would probably want to escape after this season to as he has another rebuild on his hands after this season. 

But Baldwin just took the job at Cal Poly so I don't see why he would move after just getting that job.

I don't think Petersen wants to coach again right now, but maybe blast from the past Dan Hawkins from UC-Davis? He has turned them around, but I have heard he is really happy there. 

Timmy Chang has been on the staff for a while, so maybe he has a shot.

Timmy Chang isn’t qualified yet. His next step is to be an OC or co-OC.

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

He’s actually been high on my list to replace Norvell. No inside information or anything but I don’t think it’s as crazy as some people do. 

3526AB6C-CABD-47F4-8E39-996FC72E0FFA.jpeg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Norvell was on the list to take the Kansas job last off season, and we hadn’t done a lot yet. So with this year, unless there’s a total collapse, he’s gone. I know he likes it here, but he wants a P5 job like his brother soooooo bad. And this is the only year he’ll likely have enough success to get a decent one. I’m sure Strong is gone along with a lot of starters. Not that we don’t have any depth, but next year will be a semi-rebuild year, at best. 

So anyone realistic on your wish list? It’s not too soon to talk about because in just 30 to 60 days he’ll likely be interviewing. It would be great if Sandoval could come up with some dough for Knuth to offer him the ability to make $2 mil a year with doable incentives. That won’t compete with good P5’s, but if the right offers weren’t there he’d stay longer. It’s a total joke what he’s paid right now. Total joke.

If this were still the Groth era, I have no doubt she’d give the job to Matt “I want my” Mummy. 

Who??

I think he goes eventually but I don’t think it will be because he fears a rebuild. The team next year may not have the name recognition but there will still be plenty of talent on the roster. If the Oline can replace the losses next year the skill players are there to keep the momentum going forward.

51 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Timmy change isn’t qualified yet. His next step is to be an OC or co-OC.

I don't think so either but just throwing out names they could talk to but yeah he isn't ready, I don't know if he is ready for OC either but in college football we have seen high school coaches hired (UNLV, North Texas)

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

He’s actually been high on my list to replace Norvell. No inside information or anything but I don’t think it’s as crazy as some people do. 

It’s a fcking crazy thought, He’s not getting back into coaching.  

1 hour ago, NevadaAllStar said:

Who??

I think he goes eventually but I don’t think it will be because he fears a rebuild. The team next year may not have the name recognition but there will still be plenty of talent on the roster. If the Oline can replace the losses next year the skill players are there to keep the momentum going forward.

Presumably he thinks Mike Norvell is his brother. 

I suspect Knuth's 1st choice would be OC Mumme.  He does have HC experience ( La Grange College, who?) knows the system & Knuth would probably see him as a safe hire.                   Folks have let Norvell off the hook & blamed Mumme for anything that goes wrong so I'm not sure that would fly with fans.  Not sure he has the personality for it & he seems happy where he's at so maybe wouldn't even apply. 

Brent Brennan. He comes with a conference championship ring!

6 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Colin Kaepernick. 

Nevada’s media attention and recruiting would be through the roof. 

He’d be a great recruiter, but he’d have to give up on his life of activism. It would be too much of a distraction and too divisive. Bringing all types of people together are where it’s at. I hope some day he goes back to his roots and can be happy again while uniting everyone together with a coaching career. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, wolfan said:

I suspect Knuth's 1st choice would be OC Mumme.  He does have HC experience ( La Grange College, who?) knows the system & Knuth would probably see him as a safe hire.                   Folks have let Norvell off the hook & blamed Mumme for anything that goes wrong so I'm not sure that would fly with fans.  Not sure he has the personality for it & he seems happy where he's at so maybe wouldn't even apply. 

No, Knuth would not hire Mumme because he knows he has no HC potential at this point. He doesn’t even have Div. 1 OC potential. Norvell took over play calling and I haven’t heard that he’s stopped. Strong has a lot of say in play calling as he has the OK to change plays as the defense changes its scheme. 

kat.jpg

13 hours ago, wolfan said:

When Baldwin left Reno after his interview he thought he had the job but Norvell came in late.  So then he had to leave EW because of the news getting out.  There might still be some resentment but he was high on the list.    

sounds like the next candidate at UNLV.

10 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Baldwin would probably jump at the chance to be an FBS head coach.  He'd probably drop Cal Poly in a heartbeat.  Coaches don't give a shit how long they have been somewhere.  Hell some even stay for just a few months.  

A P5 AD would be a fool to hire Norvell right now.  

That's for sure. Carson Strong and that receiver have been making him look good for the last couple of years.

17 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

.  He'd probably drop Cal Poly in a heartbeat.  Coaches don't give a shit how long they have been somewhere.  Hell some even stay for just a few months.  

Would you leave SLO for Reno ?

I didn't think so.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

That's for sure. Carson Strong and that receiver have been making him look good for the last couple of years.

Uh, you mean players he recruited who are really good?