Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Not Too Early...Who’s On Your List To Replace Norvell?

4 minutes ago, packNV said:

Did you pay attention to his first 3 years?  Our QB room looked like what the Rebs are doing now. 

All I see is a coach who has a potential first round draft pick running the program, and a capable 6'9 backup.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

All I see is a coach who has a potential first round draft pick running the program, and a capable 6'9 backup.

He had a first round draft pick that he didn't realize he had.  He started Malik Henry in front of Carson Strong.

39 minutes ago, packNV said:

Norvelle has recruited fairly well and created a good culture.  He's been able to do that because expectations are low at Nevada and the fan base has patience for coaches they like.

He is not a great coach and he would have a short stay at a P5.  I like him and wish him the best if he leaves but it wouldn't be a good idea for him or his new school.

I would be fine with him staying because I think he would have periods of success at a G5.

Wouldn't be surprised either way.  All his life his dream was to become a P5 HC.  He's already been at Nevada longer then anyplace else.  OTOH, as long as he runs a clean program & his kids graduate & he mostly wins there's no pressure on him. In fact he gave the new president & his wife hugs on the field at Cal so he's very comfortable here.  He's in his late 50's.  He's underpaid at $650,000 yr but that goes a long ways in Reno & will go up from there.  His wife has been active organizing events around the FB program.  Everybody graduates so next year is a rebuild but unless he replaces a retiring coach any place he goes to will be a rebuild.          

49 minutes ago, packNV said:

He had a first round draft pick that he didn't realize he had.  He started Malik Henry in front of Carson Strong.

Eh. He knew. Strong started that season. Struggled and was banged up, and went to the bench. It was mismanaged, as was Gangi early on. Some of that was the indecisiveness of an inexperienced head coach.

But he’s done well here. Ault had significant flaws, too.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Eh. He knew. Strong started that season. Struggled and was banged up, and went to the bench. It was mismanaged, as was Gangi early on. Some of that was the indecisiveness of an inexperienced head coach.

Those 1st few years were pretty ragged at times but I think he's learned a lot.   I was pretty critical at 1st but now I'm glad he's here. 

22 minutes ago, wolfan said:

Wouldn't be surprised either way.  All his life his dream was to become a P5 HC.  He's already been at Nevada longer then anyplace else.  OTOH, as long as he runs a clean program & his kids graduate & he mostly wins there's no pressure on him. In fact he gave the new president & his wife hugs on the field at Cal so he's very comfortable here.  He's in his late 50's.  He's underpaid at $650,000 yr but that goes a long ways in Reno & will go up from there.  His wife has been active organizing events around the FB program.  Everybody graduates so next year is a rebuild but unless he replaces a retiring coach any place he goes to will be a rebuild.          

This is a great take. And why are Nevada fans so critical? I swear to god if Vegas fans won 7 games in a season they’d be more insufferable than Boise fans. We Nevada fans look for reasons to complain. 

51 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Agree that Ault had his flaws.  I like both coaches.  I just don't think either one is/was P5 material.  They are perfect for a school like Nevada or most other G5 schools.

This was about who would replace if he leaves not about the coach he is. I just don't see anything he really has done yet that would have a major program hire him as a head coach right now. At the end of the season that could be different

18 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

This was about who would replace if he leaves not about the coach he is. I just don't see anything he really has done yet that would have a major program hire him as a head coach right now. At the end of the season that could be different

Because his name has been associated with several openings by sportswriters… who I assume know who he is since they’re including him on their lists?

Look, I’d be happy for him to stick around for the reasons listed above. Good guy, graduates players who are good people for the most part, wins at a decent clip. 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, NVGiant said:

Hard to do it while running an air raid offense, even a modified air raid that emphasizes the run more. 

I have a hard time with it being called an air raid. I think it needs its own name. With the line lining up tight for the run all the time, and the way we run so much, I think it needs its own name. Calling it an air raid certainly has to get QB recruit attention though. And then just show RB’s how much they’d get to run. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think the days of AD’s just picking the best performing G5 coach in a particular year are waning a bit because of the busts. I think a lot of P5 AD’s are looking at additional dimensions more carefully for coaches that run a clean program and recruit good kids that play hard.

And then they look at their past P5 experience. Norvell has had a shit ton of it, and doing well at a G5 with a tiny budget, they might assume with P5 resources he could get the same thing going at a higher level. He obviously understands what it takes at the P5 level being a coordinator for a long time at different schools. 

So I don’t think Norvell needs to win the MWC, or finish ranked. If he’s relatively close to both, he’ll be in the running for some low to mid level P5 jobs and he’ll likely get one if he wants it. 

kat.jpg

58 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Because his name has been associated with several openings by sportswriters… who I assume know who he is since they’re including him on their lists?

Look, I’d be happy for him to stick around for the reasons listed above. Good guy, graduates players who are good people for the most part, wins at a decent clip. 

Yeah and most sportswriters are idiots who throw things at a board to see if something sticks. I'm just saying overall they are idiots. To me that and weatherman are the two perfect jobs, you won't and can't be fired for being wrong :P

But also, he has worked at enough different universities, he will be tied to some of those schools when a job opens up because of him going back to where he worked before. 

There is also a huge difference between being mention by a sportswriter a possible candidate into actually being a candidate. And as far as I know, he hasn't been a serious candidate anywhere.

This is his year to shine, we still have several games to go. If the takes Nevada to the MWC Championship game or wins the MWC championship I think that will get more looks for him, but if let's say he has a season like 8-4 or 9-3 not in the MWC race, I don't think that gets anyone looking at him for a job unless it is someone that is low on the bottom in the P5. 

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I think the days of AD’s just picking the best performing G5 coach in a particular year are waning a bit because of the busts. I think a lot of P5 AD’s are looking at additional dimensions more carefully for coaches that run a clean program and recruit good kids that play hard.

And then they look at their past experience. Norvell has had a shit ton of P5 experience, and doing well at a G5 with a tiny budget, they might assume with P5 resources he could get the same thing going at a higher level. He obviously understands what it takes at the P5 level being a coordinator for a long time at different schools. 

So I don’t think Norvell needs to win the MWC, or finish ranked. If he’s relatively close to both, he’ll be in the running for some low to mid level P5 jobs and he’ll likely get one if he wants it. 

Winning is everything and those other things are also what schools want to look at but they will also look at the head coaching and how he did. I never said ranked though, rankings are really subjective. But like I said if they are in the MWC Championship or win MWC Championship that will raise his stock some, but running a big university program is completely different than a program like Nevada. And just saying at this point, I don't see him being hired to be a head coach at a P5. 

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Winning is everything and those other things are also what schools want to look at but they will also look at the head coaching and how he did. I never said ranked though, rankings are really subjective. But like I said if they are in the MWC Championship or win MWC Championship that will raise his stock some, but running a big university program is completely different than a program like Nevada. And just saying at this point, I don't see him being hired to be a head coach at a P5. 

Well, I totally disagree. A lot of people like him.  Remember what Knuth said about why he hired him? He said he got on the phone and called lots and lots of coaches all around the country and asked them who’s the most respected and admired up and coming HC coach that hasn’t gotten the press like the top few, and it was always Norvell that got the big thumbs up. Knuth wouldn’t make that up. The way the season is going, we’d have to totally collapse for it not to happen. He wants a good P5 job sooo bad. That will be his reward for all the work at NV. 

kat.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well, I totally disagree. A lot of people like him.  Remember what Knuth said about why he hired him? He said he got on the phone and called lots and lots of coaches around the country and asked them who’s the most respected and admired up and coming HC coach that hasn’t gotten the press like the top few, and it was always Norvell that got the big thumbs up. Knuth wouldn’t make that up. The way the season is going, we’d after to totally collapse for it not to happen.  

We don't know there are still 7 games left to play and anything can happen. I never said Knuth made anything up. For some reason you keep bringing up things that I never said or such when talking about Norvell. Like I said at this point, things will change by the end of the season everything is always evolving. 

But this is his diamond year for the team.

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

We don't know there are still 7 games left to play and anything can happen. I never said Knuth made anything up. For some reason you keep bringing up things that I never said or such when talking about Norvell. Like I said at this point, things will change by the end of the season everything is always evolving. 

But this is his diamond year for the team.

When I said Norvell wouldn’t make that up, I wasn’t implying that you thought or said that. I was just imagining someone reading from some other school that doesn’t know the good character Knuth has and just thinking “Yeah, right, they all say that” 

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

When I said Norvell wouldn’t make that up, I wasn’t implying that you thought or said that. I was just imagining someone reading from some other school that doesn’t know the good character Knuth has and just thinking “Yeah, right, they all say that” 

Oh OK, I'm sorry misunderstood what you were going for there. My apologies

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well, I totally disagree. A lot of people like him.  Remember what Knuth said about why he hired him? He said he got on the phone and called lots and lots of coaches all around the country and asked them who’s the most respected and admired up and coming HC coach that hasn’t gotten the press like the top few, and it was always Norvell that got the big thumbs up. Knuth wouldn’t make that up. The way the season is going, we’d have to totally collapse for it not to happen. He wants a good P5 job sooo bad. That will be his reward for all the work at NV. 

Wasn't he linked to Kansas and Vandy last year?  I'd call those basement level P5 jobs.  I'd keep looking if I were him if those were the schools offering, unless he just wants a pay day.  

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Wasn't he linked to Kansas and Vandy last year?  I'd call those basement level P5 jobs.  I'd keep looking if I were him if those were the schools offering, unless he just wants a pay day.  

They were basement, but like I said, if he does well this year after his Covid 7-2 last year, he’ll get interest from some mid-P5’s. 

kat.jpg