Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Not Too Early...Who’s On Your List To Replace Norvell?

8 hours ago, battle.borne said:

I think we have 3 good linemen in Gardner (SO), Ledbetter (SR) and Frost (SR).  Frost will probably get a chance as a UDFA given his size and athleticism.  But the offense could use another bruising guard for the running attack.  

Hard to do it while running an air raid offense, even a modified air raid that emphasizes the run more. 

1 hour ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Mug, you hated this guy. Great staff, best since the General.

I think a lot of us were losing patience before last season. We were easily the worst 7-6 team in the country the year before, and I was baffled when Knuth gave him an extension. In hindsight it was an excellent move, but after 3 years the jury was still out. 

11 hours ago, bigd said:

I think a lot of us were losing patience before last season. We were easily the worst 7-6 team in the country the year before, and I was baffled when Knuth gave him an extension. In hindsight it was an excellent move, but after 3 years the jury was still out. 

This is his fifth season here, but last season was a weird one really there wasn't going to be football then there was going to be football and all that mess. Overall I really don't know still on him. We will see how this season goes but one thing I do keep worrying about is except for one game his team hasn't shown a complete game yet and have started slow in every game. Maybe that is a coaching issue I have no idea but honestly he isn't setting the world on fire either right now. If they win the MWC this year or get to the championship game that could raise some heads from other potential jobs but anything short of that not sure

So since will go serious here

Jeff Tedford use to have a house in Reno, and even though left Fresno under a cloud could be someone interested in the job.

Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson, he could slide right into the offense we are running without a lot of bumps in the road.

Joe Sloan OC at Louisiana Tech, he has been doing well down there and again could slide right into the air raid offense if they wanted to keep it

Jim Mastro has been a coach here at Nevada before making his way to the Northwest, perhaps someone that would be interested in the job

And maybe an outside the box look but Marques Tuiasospco, he was at Cal as an assistant now at Rice as their OC.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, utgrizfan said:

My understanding is that when he was at Cal there was some conflict between him and the head coach as to how to run the offense. Baldwin wanted to spread it out and chuck the rock while Wilcox wanted more ground and pound.

And now Wilcox may get his arse fired because Cal can’t score. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

30 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Why? You don’t think he’s leaving in a couple of months or you don’t think anyone should be talking about who they’d like to see replace him? 

What type of school do you see him moving to?

What would he need to accomplish this year to be a desirable candidate?

12 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't see him leaving in a few months unless 1) he wins the MWC championship or 2) its time to get out of town

Well. I personally hope you’re right. He’s already interviewed for 3 P5 jobs since he’s been at nevada (according to Murray) so I think it’s just a matter of time before he’s gone. I wish nevada could pay him $1 m per year and entice him to stay — because 1) I think he’s worth that and 2) he wouldn’t have to worry about looking over his shoulder for a new job which he will if he takes a low-level P5 gig. But he’s accustomed to the coaching  lifestyle… so he’s not afraid to move. Nevada is a place he can win and have success — as he’s proven — and I think it’s a good fit for him at this stage of his career. 

Norvelle has recruited fairly well and created a good culture.  He's been able to do that because expectations are low at Nevada and the fan base has patience for coaches they like.

He is not a great coach and he would have a short stay at a P5.  I like him and wish him the best if he leaves but it wouldn't be a good idea for him or his new school.

I would be fine with him staying because I think he would have periods of success at a G5.

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Well. I personally hope you’re right. He’s already interviewed for 3 P5 jobs since he’s been at nevada (according to Murray) so I think it’s just a matter of time before he’s gone. I wish nevada could pay him $1 m per year and entice him to stay — because 1) I think he’s worth that and 2) he wouldn’t have to worry about looking over his shoulder for a new job which he will if he takes a low-level P5 gig. But he’s accustomed to the coaching  lifestyle… so he’s not afraid to move. Nevada is a place he can win and have success — as he’s proven — and I think it’s a good fit for him at this stage of his career. 

Interviewing and being a finalist for a job are two different things. I know he interviewed with Kansas but never made the short list of candidates they wanted. Just what he has done so far, I just don't see it, he hasn't done anything huge here, this was the year that was pointing for him and most important since he loses half the team after this year. 

1 minute ago, packNV said:

Norvelle has recruited fairly well and created a good culture.  He's been able to do that because expectations are low at Nevada and the fan base has patience for coaches they like.

He is not a great coach and he would have a short stay at a P5.  I like him and wish him the best if he leaves but it wouldn't be a good idea for him or his new school.

I would be fine with him staying because I think he would have periods of success at a G5.

I agree with this.  He might want to take a low level P5 job for the money but he will be fired in short order I'm guessing.  3-4 years.  I also think he won't get any great opportunities at the P5 level which will make it even harder for him to win.  

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Why? You don’t think he’s leaving in a couple of months or you don’t think anyone should be talking about who they’d like to see replace him? 

We've played 5 games.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Interviewing and being a finalist for a job are two different things. I know he interviewed with Kansas but never made the short list of candidates they wanted. Just what he has done so far, I just don't see it, he hasn't done anything huge here, this was the year that was pointing for him and most important since he loses half the team after this year. 

He's going to get interviews because he's intriguing building a decent situation at Nevada and he's a man of color.  A deeper look exposes the flaws.

Just look at how he's handled the QB room at Nevada.

1 minute ago, packNV said:

He's going to get interviews because he's intriguing building a decent situation at Nevada and he's a man of color.  A deeper look exposes the flaws.

Just look at how he's handled the QB room at Nevada.

????

What's wrong with the NV QB room?

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman