Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Not Too Early...Who’s On Your List To Replace Norvell?

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Would you leave SLO for Reno ?

I didn't think so.

Personally, no.  But these coaches are highly motivated and usually view jobs as a stepping stone.  FBS HC>FCS HC.  He needs to play the game if he wants to keep moving up.  

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Uh, you mean players he recruited who are really good? 

Yep. Does he have anyone coming in after they’re gone that will make him look that good?

Otherwise, where have I heard about good players recruited, but the coach isn’t a good coach. 

:unsure:

17 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

The backup receiver corps didn't seem to skip a beat last weekend. if only he recruited the lines as well. Tough for any G5 there.

Yeah even the Pac-12 has been struggling to produce good o-lines of late. It seems the west just isn't producing the o-lineman compared to the south and midwest. Our line has looked good against inferior competition, but the game against K-State was eye opening. 

22 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

The backup receiver corps didn't seem to skip a beat last weekend. if only he recruited the lines as well. Tough for any G5 there.

Nevada is 7th in the nation in sacks so the dline has been ok.  The oline isn't great but they've been good enough in the passing game.  

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

53 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yep. Does he have anyone coming in after they’re gone that will make him look that good?

Otherwise, where have I heard about good players recruited, but the coach isn’t a good coach. 

Typically teams that aren’t winning. 

14 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Typically teams that aren’t winning. 

So are you saying you think Norvelle is a good coach? Yes, he recruited Strong, who had been injured his senior year and didn’t get many looks, am I right about that? Or was that someone else..

I just don’t think Norvelle is that great, but maybe he will prove me wrong after Strong leaves (and the receiver, I can never remember his name, lol). And I don’t think he will get ‘stolen away’, but hey, TJ and DRF did, thank goodness. :D  All about appearance at that moment, so who knows. 

Anyway, just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, battle.borne said:

Nevada is 7th in the nation in sacks so the dline has been ok.  The oline isn't great but they've been good enough in the passing game.  

I was thinking more of the O line as the D line has been pretty good of late. I should have been more clear. It's still hard to recruit difference makers unles you get lucky with an undersized Dom Petersen or under recruited late developer like Hammond or position change guys like we have.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah even the Pac-12 has been struggling to produce good o-lines of late. It seems the west just isn't producing the o-lineman compared to the south and midwest. Our line has looked good against inferior competition, but the game against K-State was eye opening. 

I was at the USC/Utah game this weekend. Both the USC O and D lines are mid MWC quality. Their version of the spread reminds me of our 2019 offense. Plenty of yards between the 20s and stall in the red zone.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

You didn't hear about Strong or Doubs or Turner either. I will give you that he makes some head scratching in game decisions but as a program builder, I think he's as good a coach as we have had not named Ault.

51 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I was at the USC/Utah game this weekend. Both the USC O and D lines are mid MWC quality. Their version of the spread reminds me of our 2019 offense. Plenty of yards between the 20s and stall in the red zone.

And it's even more telling that the mid-MWC quality line dominated USC. 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

So are you saying you think Norvelle is a good coach? Yes, he recruited Strong, who had been injured his senior year and didn’t get many looks, am I right about that? Or was that someone else..

I just don’t think Norvelle is that great, but maybe he will prove me wrong after Strong leaves (and the receiver, I can never remember his name, lol). And I don’t think he will get ‘stolen away’, but hey, TJ and DRF did, thank goodness. :D  All about appearance at that moment, so who knows. 

Anyway, just my opinion. 

Yeah, I do think he's a good coach. He obviously has his flaws, but I hope (and doubt) that we'll be able to keep him around for awhile. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I was thinking more of the O line as the D line has been pretty good of late. I should have been more clear. It's still hard to recruit difference makers unles you get lucky with an undersized Dom Petersen or under recruited late developer like Hammond or position change guys like we have.

I think we have 3 good linemen in Gardner (SO), Ledbetter (SR) and Frost (SR).  Frost will probably get a chance as a UDFA given his size and athleticism.  But the offense could use another bruising guard for the running attack.  

11 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

I think we have 3 good linemen in Gardner (SO), Ledbetter (SR) and Frost (SR).  Frost will probably get a chance as a UDFA given his size and athleticism.  But the offense could use another bruising guard for the running attack.  

I'd agree with you but it seems that Gardner has really had a sophomore slump. I hear his name too much for holding/movement and sacks. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see how he grades out.

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I'd agree with you but it seems that Gardner has really had a sophomore slump. I hear his name too much for holding/movement and sacks. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see how he grades out.

That's true too.  He got dinged up in the Cal game, I think, and has not been as sharp.

8 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Your starting center last year is one bad man.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

11 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Anyway, just my opinion. 

I mean, yes. I think he’s a good coach. Hard to argue otherwise, honestly. He’s not Nick Saban, but he’s winning at a place where it isn’t particularly easy to win considering its resource disadvantage. Landing Strong was a coup, but he should get credit for that because he identified him early and stayed on him through the injury, And he’s built arguably the most talented roster, at least offensively, in the Mountain West. That’s a pretty damn good job.