Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

New Mexico/San Diego State Game Thread

23 minutes ago, aztech said:

I'm trying to be objective here.  From what I saw Brookshire threw some uncatchable passes because the WRs weren't open.  However those overthrows of the long passes were his fault.  The jury is out as to whether Hecklinski called bad plays or the WRs don't know how to separate.  Brookshire does throw tight spirals so the fault weren't all his fault.  

I personally disagree, i think he overshot some open deep balls. None of them were wide open as if WR were only one in the picture but they had a step. 

9 hours ago, aztech said:

I'm trying to be objective here.  From what I saw Brookshire threw some uncatchable passes because the WRs weren't open.  However those overthrows of the long passes were his fault.  The jury is out as to whether Hecklinski called bad plays or the WRs don't know how to separate.  Brookshire does throw tight spirals so the fault weren't all his fault.  

The WRs may very well not be capable of separation. Why would a decent receiver choose SDSU given our passing “attack” of recent years? Those “tight spirals” need to actually be aimed at the receiver, not 10 yards beyond him or 3 yards behind him. God help this team when it has to play catch up. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

13 hours ago, Lobonado said:

Why didn't they call targeting on that SDSU DB? 

They chose to go with PI. 

It should have been a targeting call.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

12 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Just 1 more year of this basically HS level stadium 

Other than perhaps a few stadia in Texas, no HS stadium is close to as nice as the one the Aztecs are playing in. It's also considerably larger than the average FCS stadium. Problem is the location. Why MLS would have wanted a stadium in Carson is beyond me. When Gertrude Stein supposedly said of Oakland "there's no there, there," she was actually referring to Carson. That place is not only two hours from SDSU, I'll be damned if I know where the nearest legit bar and grill is to eat and drink at before games.

As I said today on the AztecFootball website, SDSU's administration made a grievous error not contracting with Southwestern College to use their stadium in Chula Vista. It's a rather pedestrian place from what I've heard but it's basically the same as what Hawaii is using this year and at least there would be 5K fans in attendance every game.

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The WRs may very well not be capable of separation. Why would a decent receiver choose SDSU given our passing “attack” of recent years? Those “tight spirals” need to actually be aimed at the receiver, not 10 yards beyond him or 3 yards behind him. God help this team when it has to play catch up. 

Yeah, that's a scary thought.  Both Brookshire and Johnson fail at progressions.  To me that's what separates good QBs from bad QBs.  Can it be taught or is it innate?       

I think Brookshire is good enough to be a game manager. He is not someone to bring you back when we are down two touchdowns, but he plays relatively mistake free. New Mexico did drop a couple of potential picks but I chalk his bad throws to rust. The play calling I felt was better then previous weeks.