Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

MLB Playoffs Thread

9 hours ago, ripple effect said:

No. I recognize that, but for the Spartans’ Bowl game, every team that managed to show up to play SJSU in 2020 lost. In fact, we basically gagged on the Covid thing ourselves in our Bowl game. Something Fresno was quite familiar with in their regular season… right? And I’ll sleep great tonight. The Dodgers are a good team and were the the better team in the series. They won fair and square. I never said otherwise. I took issue with someone that effectively didn’t buy the Giants winning 107 games. Maybe if L.A. can win the World Series in a real season this year - you know, one that involves playing more than just 38% of a normal season - I will give the Triple Asterisks their due. But until then, sorry. Not gonna happen… 

OT.  Just outta curiosity, do you consider the Lakers 2020 title legit? They played 72 games out of a typical 82 scheduled, but had four months off to rest and recover.  They gave up their home court advantage and went to a neutral site playoffs. No fans, no Staples Center.  

Dodgers had a similar run after the wildcard round. Left Dodger Stadium for Arlington.  No fans vs the Padres, limited fans vs the Braves and Rays.  Neutral site playoffs, much like the Lakers.

11 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

:frustrated:

Better chance he strikes out on the next pitch than he gets a hit. Dodgers lost a game to the Giants on a similar call in their last series. Doesn’t matter now, it’s in the books, Dodgers are division champs and Giants are going fishing.

9 hours ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Giants had the 2nd best run differential in MLB. A team doesn’t fluke it’s way to that and 107 wins. I bought into the “lucky” Giants theory at the beginning…buuuut it was wrong

The Giants had an amazing year. Everyone thought they’d eventually drop like a lead balloon. Every team usually has a slump sometime during the season. The Giants didn’t have any. That’s amazing in itself. I’m not sure two teams have ever played down to the wire with as many wins as the Giants and Dodgers had only to have to play it off in the division series. 

11 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Better chance he strikes out on the next pitch than he gets a hit. Dodgers lost a game to the Giants on a similar call in their last series. Doesn’t matter now, it’s in the books, Dodgers are division champs and Giants are going fishing.

I'm not saying the Giants would have won that game, but to finish a season where the Giants and Dodgers finished the year 12-12 head to head (playoffs and regular season) on a blown checked swing call is like ending an NFL playoff game on a sideline warning penalty. At minimum that needs to be a reviewable option

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm not saying the Giants would have won that game, but to finish a season where the Giants and Dodgers finished the year 12-12 head to head (playoffs and regular season) on a blown checked swing call is like ending an NFL playoff game on a sideline warning penalty. At minimum that needs to be a reviewable option

Have to disagree. Yeah, it sucks that it ended that way but soup is right, it probably didn't impact the final outcome. Replay is used enough as it is.

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Have to disagree. Yeah, it sucks that it ended that way but soup is right, it probably didn't impact the final outcome. Replay is used enough as it is.

I'm venting as a frustrated life-long Giants fan. I acknowledge LA is the more talented team and deserved to move on the the NLCS (they should be they have the highest payroll in baseball, you could combine the payroll of the Indians, Giants and Orioles as still have $$$ left over before you equated the payroll of LA) 

instant replay has shown us how unreliable the naked eye is. 42% of reviewed MLB calls were overturned this year, I'm all for an electronic strike zone and any other technology that can make the game fairer.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

OT.  Just outta curiosity, do you consider the Lakers 2020 title legit? They played 72 games out of a typical 82 scheduled, but had four months off to rest and recover.  They gave up their home court advantage and went to a neutral site playoffs. No fans, no Staples Center.  

Dodgers had a similar run after the wildcard round. Left Dodger Stadium for Arlington.  No fans vs the Padres, limited fans vs the Braves and Rays.  Neutral site playoffs, much like the Lakers.

Yeah, even though I hate the Lakers, too. IMO, their title was much more legit than the Dodgers was. More than anything else, this is a volume thing.  Look, I’m not saying that the Dodgers, likely, wouldn’t have been the best team over the course of a full season last year (or at least much closer to a full season)… but we’ll never know that because that didn’t happen...  

Would you have been keen on the Lakers title last year had they only played 30% of a full season - 25 games, not 72?  That’s the (basketball) equivalent to what the Dodgers did. Playing 37% of a normal MLB regular season game count is farcical, and on many levels…

For one thing, you don’t factor in an entire year (or, again, close to it) of injuries.  Nor fatigue, various travel and scheduling challenges, etc.  Honestly. I think the baseball season should’ve been canceled, but that wasn’t my call to make. Nevertheless, the Dodgers’ World Series win is pretty hollow in my book. And to be crystal clear here, I would’ve said the exact same thing had the Giants won it…

And not that you asked this, but I don’t think this is remotely comparable to SJSU’s MWC football championships last year. The Spartans played 6 of their 8 league games (75% of a normal conference season), winning all, only missing playing the other two through no fault of their own. Both Fresno and Boise cancelled because of Covid and it seems like those games could’ve even been considered forfeits (read the official MWC web-site on that).  No matter in that we beat Boise in the Championship game anyway...

So that’s why I think we’re talking apples and oranges there…

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Fantastic way if you’re a Dodger fan. 

Gotta disagree. I've been a Dodger fan since I was a kid, and I hated seeing them win like that.

19 hours ago, toonkee said:

Yes, he didn't go around but Flores still would be looking at a 1 and 2 count against Mad Max and Flores looked scared. It wasn't going to end any different. 

Isn't this the guy that was 0-18 against Scherzer? I was completely surprised the Giants let him bat in that moment.

6 hours ago, ripple effect said:

Yeah, even though I hate the Lakers, too. IMO, their title was much more legit than the Dodgers was. More than anything else, this is a volume thing.  Look, I’m not saying that the Dodgers, likely, wouldn’t have been the best team over the course of a full season last year (or at least much closer to a full season)… but we’ll never know that because that didn’t happen...  

Would you have been keen on the Lakers title last year had they only played 30% of a full season - 25 games, not 72?  That’s the (basketball) equivalent to what the Dodgers did. Playing 37% of a normal MLB regular season game count is farcical, and on many levels…

For one thing, you don’t factor in an entire year (or, again, close to it) of injuries.  Nor fatigue, various travel and scheduling challenges, etc.  Honestly. I think the baseball season should’ve been canceled, but that wasn’t my call to make. Nevertheless, the Dodgers’ World Series win is pretty hollow in my book. And to be crystal clear here, I would’ve said the exact same thing had the Giants won it…

And not that you asked this, but I don’t think this is remotely comparable to SJSU’s MWC football championships last year. The Spartans played 6 of their 8 league games (75% of a normal conference season), winning all, only missing playing the other two through no fault of their own. Both Fresno and Boise cancelled because of Covid and it seems like those games could’ve even been considered forfeits (read the official MWC web-site on that).  No matter in that we beat Boise in the Championship game anyway...

So that’s why I think we’re talking apples and oranges there…

It was harder.  The dodgers win regular season divisions like getting out of bed in the morning.  The 2020 playoffs had an extra short series, which was an advantage to underdogs and a disadvantage to the best team in baseball 

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

It was harder.  The dodgers win regular season divisions like getting out of bed in the morning.  The 2020 playoffs had an extra short series, which was an advantage to underdogs and a disadvantage to the best team in baseball 

Gotta disagree with you here.  Yes, some short series can be scary, but with the Dodgers being the team most loaded with talent, that typically would shine through.  And it did...

HR Will Smith. Dodgers 2 Braves 1, bottom of the 4th. :banana: Go Blue! 

Kid Dancing GIF by MLB

HR Riley for ATL. It's now 2-2 after four innings.

Three up and three down for Smokin' Joe Kelly.

It's still tied 2-2, heading into the eighth inning. 

Atlanta is coming to bat in the bottom of the 9th and the game is still tied 2-2. :popcorn: The suspense is mounting.