Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

How to make the MW the unquestioned P6

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada Day is the holiday weekend here when Nevada got admitted to the union. They wanted the game on the same weekend to celebrate all that together. Many people don't like it but that is what they decided.

I don’t think this is right. The game has been played on Nevada day like 1 time and that was last season The president’s obviously want the game played the last weekend in Oct. but I don’t think the MWC protects specific weekends for any team??

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t think this is right. The game has been played on Nevada day like 1 time and that was last season The president’s obviously want the game played the last weekend in Oct. but I don’t think the MWC protects specific weekends for any team??

Back in 2018 because of some low attendances for the game, it was first brought up moving the game from the last game of the season to Nevada Day weekend to go hand in hand with the celebration. UNLV thought it was an idea, Nevada at the time said they would perfer for the game to remain at the end of the season but if it was put on a different date, Nevada Day weekend would work for them. 

MWC always has said schools can make requests and if MWC would take them into consideration and try to make the request work if it doesn't impact the rest of the league schedule.

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Back in 2018 because of some low attendances for the game, it was first brought up moving the game from the last game of the season to Nevada Day weekend to go hand in hand with the celebration. UNLV thought it was an idea, Nevada at the time said they would perfer for the game to remain at the end of the season but if it was put on a different date, Nevada Day weekend would work for them. 

MWC always has said schools can make requests and if MWC would take them into consideration and try to make the request work if it doesn't impact the rest of the league schedule.

CSU and Wyoming quit playing on the last weekend of the season some time ago because it's Thanksgiving weekend.  No students on a guaranteed cold as f#$K day, with a likely snowstorm just didn't seem to attract a lot of attendance, no matter how big the game was.  Fun TV, but not much of a spectator event in those conditions.  CSU/AFA has had major turnout issues for the same reason.

To be honest, What team bring in more money? Gonaga, does, even without football. Football? I don't know. Navy (FB only) paired with Wichita? SMU,? Memphis.

Right now we can do nothing and be firmly established as the 6 best conference.

I do not speak for my school, of course, but I think we would jump at getting an invite to the BIG12 however. Any of you would. So there is that to consider.

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

CSU and Wyoming quit playing on the last weekend of the season some time ago because it's Thanksgiving weekend.  No students on a guaranteed cold as f#$K day, with a likely snowstorm just didn't seem to attract a lot of attendance, no matter how big the game was.  Fun TV, but not much of a spectator event in those conditions.  CSU/AFA has had major turnout issues for the same reason.

I like our games close to Halloween. That’s my preference. Cold but not don’t show up cold. 

tetons1.jpg

MW + AAC  

Air Force / Navy / Army FB only 

Gonzaga / Wichita St / VCU Olympics 

More bowls 

Solid 4/5 or more basketball bids

Games on all day long

Service Academies

Bigger Contract ESPN / Tier 3 other networks 

Won’t be considered Power anything but on par with Big 12.  If we lose teams to the Big12 or any other conference, no need to backfill  

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

They had a couple of games that were had real bad attendance and that is when all the talk started for UNLV and Nevada with them saying THanksgiving weekend the kids are away from school, people are away from their home so that is why the attendance was so low

54 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

2013 they also played on Nevada Day weekend

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada Day is the holiday weekend here when Nevada got admitted to the union. They wanted the game on the same weekend to celebrate all that together. Many people don't like it but that is what they decided.

It was just a joke.  The weekend of Nevada Day is a good time to do it.  Good excuse to wear costumes to the games too.  Which means some of the Rebel fans can’t go straight to work after the game.

15 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

It was just a joke.  The weekend of Nevada Day is a good time to do it.  Good excuse to wear costumes to the games too.  Which means some of the Rebel fans can’t go straight to work after the game.

I wasn't absolutely sure haha

The truly most sure way to be P6 is to create an oligarchy- top 3 teams in the conference get everything, win everything, and have a near perfect record - and then never leave the conference.

That is the way.  Unpopular. Unfair.  But how it’s done.  Need 3 because need 3 ranked with one faltering early and two ranked at end of season for a late season match up. 

Schedule lower middle P5 schools OOC.

Rinse and repeat for better preseason rankings and building up better recruiting.

AAC formula: UCF, Cincinnati and Houston/Memphis/SMU

MWC formula: Boise (several years ago), ___, ____; too much parity or lack of Big Three.  We were seeing a possible ranked game between SDSU vs Fresno but Hawaii happened.  We need Three ranked teams consistently.  That’s how we do it.  

There is not going to be a P6.  That was the ridiculous public posturing of an imbecilic blowhard who just got his conference nuked from orbit.  Hell, there's barely a P5.  The new B12 is the short bus of the P5, and they'll only get to keep that status if the SEC decides it needs a gimp to counter the votes of The Alliance.  

On 10/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, wolfpack1 said:

I think that is why Liberty hasn't been picked up by a conference yet.  With Grand Canyon they had to figure out what kind of university they wanted to be.

A god fearing one!

homer simpson wings GIF

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

There is not going to be a P6.  That was the ridiculous public posturing of an imbecilic blowhard who just got his conference nuked from orbit.  Hell, there's barely a P5.  The new B12 is the short bus of the P5, and they'll only get to keep that status if the SEC decides it needs a gimp to counter the votes of The Alliance.  

At this point there isn't much difference between the PAC and the B12. And going forward B12 will probably still be better in FB and they're already better in BB. 

2 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

There’s a P5…. The nB12 will be more than competitive with the ACC and PAC most years in football - they’d be rated quite a bit higher than both this year.  There will be a wide chasm between the top 5 conferences and the rest.  That’s undeniable.  I know, I know… “but there’s no blue blood!!!”  Meh.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 6:11 PM, Aztec1984 said:

To be honest, What team bring in more money? Gonaga, does, even without football. Football? I don't know. Navy (FB only) paired with Wichita? SMU,? Memphis.

Right now we can do nothing and be firmly established as the 6 best conference.

I do not speak for my school, of course, but I think we would jump at getting an invite to the BIG12 however. Any of you would. So there is that to consider.

Why  would Gonzaga leave all their basketball credits in the WCC, their sweetheart deal with ESPN, ability the control the WCC, and schools with like cultures to join the MWC?  Gonzaga has earned many credits in the WCC and recently got the conference to vote for a change in distribution of said credits (teams earning credits get a larger share).  Gonzaga gets many games with power teams and one of the reasons is because their relationship with ESPN.  Gonzaga is the top dog in the WCC, if they moved to the MWC they would not be.

2 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

The big 12 is easily the third best fb conference and is adding several very strong teams.  They are the best basketball conference.  They are definitely a ‘power’ conference by any measure.  The PAC is the susceptible conference, has been and will continue to be.