Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Boise State vs BYU

24 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

He’s not on their depth chart that was just released, didn’t he exit Boise after spring semester?

Yes, but they haven't updated their depth chart.  Both Hall (QB1) and Romney (QB2) missed or were hurt in last weeks game.  Conover (QB3) played  the 2nd half of the USU game.

After that I'm not sure who is QB4.  A couple true freshman, a walk-on, or Cade. 

4 minutes ago, Cougar/Frog said:

Boise just isn't the Boise that used to be.   BYU is definitely on the rise.   Looking for a nice win for the Cougs, hopefully without too many injuries for either team.

Meh, we could be having this same conversation about BYU 3 years ago.  

Just now, tailingpermit said:

That's probably true. 

Aside from AA's poor clock management against NV, BSU looked to be gassed early in the 4th qtr, especially the O line. 

From what you've seen so far, is conditioning an issue?   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's probably true. 

Aside from AA's poor clock management against NV, BSU looked to be gassed early in the 4th qtr, especially the O line. 

I think as pointed out above we’re really thin on both sides of the line, just a bad year for injuries.  Of course you could always sprinkle a little new coaching growing pains too. 

As said before, we’re still 7-4 all time vs BYU - with 3 straight wins 2016-2018.  BYU wins Saturday they tie the longest winning streak. 

I have no doubt this team will get back to where it needs to be, but likely not this season.  

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's probably true. 

Only played 7 OL in the NV game. Top two centers and a couple guards were injured.  It appears other dudes are playing hurt and Boise doesn't have the bodies to rotate.  So conditioning yes, but mostly just banged up dudes.  Go watch the first series against NV and even then they look gimpy. DL is in the same boat. Nobody to rotate.

35 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

And BYU was down.   Anything can happen, but I just haven't been impressed by Boise this year,  especially in the 2nd hall of games.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

49 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yes, but they haven't updated their depth chart.  Both Hall (QB1) and Romney (QB2) missed or were hurt in last weeks game.  Conover (QB3) played  the 2nd half of the USU game.

After that I'm not sure who is QB4.  A couple true freshman, a walk-on, or Cade. 

BYU's QB4 is freshman Sol-Jay Maiava-Peters.  You know he's good because he has two hyphens in his name.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1293736/sol-jay-maiava-peters

The other quarterbacks on the roster:

Cade Fennegan (FR) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1297280/cade-fennegan

Nick Billoups (FR) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1297282/nick-billoups

Rhett Reilly (SO) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1288490/rhett-reilly

5 minutes ago, Pelado said:

BYU's QB4 is freshman Sol-Jay Maiava-Peters.  You know he's good because he has two hyphens in his name.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1293736/sol-jay-maiava-peters

The other quarterbacks on the roster:

Cade Fennegan (FR) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1297280/cade-fennegan

Nick Billoups (FR) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1297282/nick-billoups

Rhett Reilly (SO) - https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/1288490/rhett-reilly

It would be funny if BYU got down to 4th string and 5th string guys named Peters and Fennegan.

From last year after the BYU player speared Jack Sears and gave him a concussion.

image.png.cc9a7be390bac555db3492a895021d69.png

48 minutes ago, Cougar/Frog said:

And BYU was down.   Anything can happen, but I just haven't been impressed by Boise this year,  especially in the 2nd hall of games.

Neither have most of Boise State fans. We’ve had problems with the Oline in Harsin’s entire time here and he essentially left the cupboard bare. We have zero run game. The Dline has no depth because of injuries and our best guy left for personal reasons. The same guys are playing most of the game with few rotations. Our LBs are slow and can’t get off blocks. 

The good points have been our QB, WRs, and secondary. Avalos has a major rebuild on his hands and that could be a problem with NLI and payment of players. Boise State has no sugar daddy or significant business contributors to rely on. 

BYU should win this game handily. I can honestly say this is the worse Bronco team I’ve seen in the last twenty years and IMO that’s no exaggeration. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Neither have most of Boise State fans. We’ve had problems with the Oline in Harsin’s entire time here and he essentially left the cupboard bare. We have zero run game. The Dline has no depth because of injuries and our best guy left for personal reasons. The same guys are playing most of the game with few rotations. Our LBs are slow and can’t get off blocks. 

The good points have been our QB, WRs, and secondary. Avalos has a major rebuild on his hands and that could be a problem with NLI and payment of players. Boise State has no sugar daddy or significant business contributors to rely on. 

BYU should win this game handily. I can honestly say this is the worse Bronco team I’ve seen in the last twenty years and IMO that’s no exaggeration. 

Well, as a long-suffering BYU fan who has been through many down years, let's hope that Boise is only down for a year or two. 

Also as a TCU fan watching TCU flounder for several years and now looking like it has its worst defense since the 90s, I feel your pain.  Gary may never get to coach against BYU in the NB12.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

BYU @ BOISE STATE

We have BYU as a 2.5 favorite  look for a 28 - 26 game, O/u 54.5

odds shark show BYU favored by 1 point.  
O/u is 55 it’s -110 either way. We didn’t touch it. 

It’s likely BYU wins and covers the 1 pt spread.  You need to put up $110 to win $100.  It’s a really tight margin but BSU can’t run the ball and they give up 504 yds/game, pretty well balanced between run and pass too.

For confident Bronco fans take the money line.  Tonight we are seeing +$175 ($100 wins $175). I guess the hope is home field = at least 3.  Didn’t help last week but it was an upset loss.

We are tempted by the money line but are very cautious.  The Game Analyzer guidance has led us to -$218 on the MWC this season.  Boise’s upset last week hurt .

So far no money down this week….

Fan duel is giving Boise fans 5.5 pts.  It’s -112   BYU fans can give 5.5 for -108.

We are discussing Boise ATS.  BYU might find difficulty in covering 5.5.  Then again Boise’s defense allows over 500 yds/game

The money line has BYU a better than 2:1 favorite.   It’s +$178 if you pick Boise to win.

12 hours ago, mags said:

It’s likely BYU wins and covers the 1 pt spread.  You need to put up $110 to win $100.  It’s a really tight margin but BSU can’t run the ball and they give up 504 yds/game, pretty well balanced between run and pass too.

Defense is bad, but not THAT bad. I'm seeing 413 yards per game given up. 22.8 points per game against their schedule isn't terrible either.  UCF averaging 41, UTEP 26, Ok St. 25, USU 29, and UNR 32.  Had held every team below their average until handing the ball to Nevada 3 times in the second half on the wrong side of the field.

Defensive stats:

image.png.916b4a16b774729c8c9bbfc539ddc4ec.png

It will be an interesting matchup - Boise has been playing lots of dime packages - probably going to change that up until BYU can prove they can throw the ball. Probably more of a 4-3 type look with Kaniho playing up against the run as well as run-stopping safety Skinner closer to the line of scrimmage.  Boise's achilles heel on defense is the big play.  77 plays allowed greater than 10 yards puts them at #104 nationally.

And while Boise is terrible at running the ball, Hank is #12 in the country in passing yards at 304 per game. BYU's pass defense is #95 in the country, allowing over 250 yards per game through the air. They have been good at creating turnovers though.  (6 ints to 4 td's allowed).

22 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Defense is bad, but not THAT bad. I'm seeing 413 yards per game given up. 22.8 points per game against their schedule isn't terrible either.  UCF averaging 41, UTEP 26, Ok St. 25, USU 29, and UNR 32.  Had held every team below their average until handing the ball to Nevada 3 times in the second half on the wrong side of the field.

Defensive stats:

image.png.916b4a16b774729c8c9bbfc539ddc4ec.png

It will be an interesting matchup - Boise has been playing lots of dime packages - probably going to change that up until BYU can prove they can throw the ball. Probably more of a 4-3 type look with Kaniho playing up against the run as well as run-stopping safety Skinner closer to the line of scrimmage.  Boise's achilles heel on defense is the big play.  77 plays allowed greater than 10 yards puts them at #104 nationally.

And while Boise is terrible at running the ball, Hank is #12 in the country in passing yards at 304 per game. BYU's pass defense is #95 in the country, allowing over 250 yards per game through the air. They have been good at creating turnovers though.  (6 ints to 4 td's allowed).

Interesting stats. Probably why the betting line is a lot closer than many believe it should be. I still think BYU easily covers. I see them winning by 10-14 +.