Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elizarrj

Thamel says Air Force and Colorado State Staying in MWC

Just now, sactowndog said:

Whatever.  If you don’t trust his information block him.   I think he provides an accurate perception of where things are leaning at the time.  

of course u do...lol. twitter is life...lol

SAMO©...as an end to pinhead excuses...lol

Just now, sactowndog said:

Decent sized market with absolutely zero local competition.

dude, they have local competition

image.png.6fa4783218c9d4bd2fd220941ef01d53.png

image.png.d45764c8352cebc1f2849257ed7b6f83.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

“Air Force wanted move to AAC because of bigger markets, source said.”

If the AFA already considers themselves a “national brand”, why do they need/crave bigger markets? 

It's about keeping up with Service Academy rivals.  Army and Navy get a lot of press being on the East Coast.  AFA could pull off an undefeated season, and the press would still be talking about Army almost beating Oklahoma a couple of years ago...

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Aresco and the AAC are starting to look like the big school that cant get anybody to take their head coaching job.

Is sort of like the scene in Animal House in the car when the socks fall our of the girl's bra.  Anticipation... turns into disappointment...

the joint statement from SDSU and Boise yesterday is what crushed this deal, it was never about just inviting AFA and CSU, it was trying to draw out the other two, and when that didn't happen, it all came crashing down.  No doubt deals were made behind the scenes, maybe we'll hear more about that soon, but who knows, but what I do know is that Aresco shot his wad trying to snatch the two big fish and it didn't work. 

2 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Some AAC fans are now saying Aresco should approach Thompson about a merger. Almost sounds to me like those fans  recognize who is the new P6 and want to be part of it. :D

I think the most we'll get out of this is maybe a scheduling arrangement between the MWC andAAC.  But to what extent is anyone's guess.  I mean, after the NCAA convention happens, it may be moot, i.e., in that P4/P5's will probably end up further squeezing the G5's more anyway - you know, by not scheduling us nearly us much ...

1 minute ago, ripple effect said:

I think the most we'll get out of this is maybe a scheduling arrangement between the MWC andAAC.  But to what extent is anyone's guess.  I mean, after the NCAA convention happens, it may be moot, i.e., in that P4/P5's will probably end up further squeezing the G5's more anyway - you know, by not scheduling us nearly us much ...

And merging the two conferences makes no sense, ultimately we'd end up having bowl games against our own conference mates, which is dumb, it's like taking your cousin to the dance, sure she's cute, but damnit she's your cousin.  LOL 

26 minutes ago, Zoomie said:

It's about keeping up with Service Academy rivals.  Army and Navy get a lot of press being on the East Coast.  AFA could pull off an undefeated season, and the press would still be talking about Army almost beating Oklahoma a couple of years ago...

I don't know about that. I'm on the East Coast and rarely hear about either Army or Navy... It only really comes up when Air Force/Army/Navy are playing each other. Navy early on this season because how bad they are.. I'm sure if AFA put together an undefeated or excellent season they'd get as much national coverage as the other academies.

I'm glad you guys are staying, but I could see going independent as a viable option if AFA really thinks that'll improve recruitment. I didn't know or think they were hard up to get applicants to the AFA as it is...

1 hour ago, Kirbycreekpoke said:

Ok indulge me for a second. Did CSU just play some 4D chess in regards to realignment?

So they build this new stadium but they still are not even at the bottom of the list when it comes to possible P5 expansion. They need to do something to change the public perception of the program. They need to be seen as desirable and wanted. In walks Aresco, desperate to not lose more TV money along with the teams he's losing. 

All CSU needed to do was say-"We'll think about it" and all of a sudden there is a national conversation with two conferences "fighting" over the CSU program. For CSU this might have been the endgame in itself. Just to be seen as a team that conferences want, and to move themselves up on the BIG XII radar by virtue of being involved in expansion discussion. They may have never had any intent of leaving but found a way to be in the news for a week and to be seen as one of the teams that everyone wants. 

On the other hand, they might just be bumbling idiots who actually thought about joining the AAC for real. 

I think CSU just used this as leverage to secure themselves a BSU type deal for next tv negotiations.  You know, the Denver market and all.

v0icAvfW.jpg

15 minutes ago, uteAggie said:

And merging the two conferences makes no sense, ultimately we'd end up having bowl games against our own conference mates, which is dumb, it's like taking your cousin to the dance, sure she's cute, but damnit she's your cousin.  LOL 

Arkansas State: ** sits up and listens **

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

I'm not gonna gloat, however much some AAC weirdos' behavior here makes me want to; we got lucky. All of us did, but especially Wyoming.

Yep, losing the top two conference rivals would be a serious blow to Wyoming athletics.

Living in WA I don't get to a lot of home Wyoming games but when I do 90% of the time I visit Laramie when CSU or AFA are in town.