Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elizarrj

Thamel says Air Force and Colorado State Staying in MWC

2 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

1.  Never going to happen.

2.  Never going to happen.

It most likely won’t but with AF, SDSU and Hawaii all in conference I can see why it might be attractive for Navy.  If you do 9 games and make AF a permanent rival and SDSU and Hawaii back-up rivals, that gives Navy:

1) an annual game with AirForce

2) a once every 4 year game at SDSU a major Pacific Fleet base 

3) a once ever 4 year game at Hawaii that can be broadcast live to Asia: Pacific Fleet headquarters: 

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It most likely won’t but with AF, SDSU and Hawaii all in conference I can see why it might be attractive for Navy.  If you do 9 games and make AF a permanent rival and SDSU and Hawaii back-up rivals, that gives Navy:

3) a once ever 4 year game at Hawaii that can be broadcast live to Asia: Pacific Fleet headquarters: 

GTFO. Nobody wants to watch wishbone teams. Please stick AF and Navy with somebody else. 

13 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Navy and Army need the eastern exposure for recruits.   Air Force also wants more exposure and that is why Texas teams are being talked about.

40 minutes ago, Devout Mean Green said:

Interesting podcast with CSU AD Joe Parker.  He continuously refers to an MWC future that involves the "Central Time" programs... specifically in Texas.

https://anchor.fm/ramnation-radio/episodes/Athletic-Director-Joe-Parker-joins-to-talk-about-the-recent-flirtation-with-the-AAC-and-much-more-e18adcb

Same thing was posted just above yours

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

1.  The Commander and Chief Trophy is an annual thing.  Air Force, Army, and Navy play every year.

2.  We can play those non conference games between Army and Navy where ever we want.  This years Air Force vs Army game is being held in Arlington Texas.  It sucks for those of us with season tickets but, It's for the greater good.  I know that may sound corny but those games away from home add a lot of exposure and is good for recruitment.  Perhaps SDSU and Hawaii can schedule Navy to play in their respective stadiums in an out of conference game.  

3.  I have to go back to number 2.

Navy is in the Eastern Time Zone.  To pull those student athletes out of class and training for that kind of travel is brutal.  Same with Army.  Those two schools are in the same time zone and it makes sense for them to stay where they are.  It would be bad enough for Air Force to go to the AAC in all sports and have to travel a thousand +miles.  I was against that whole AAC move idea.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

12 minutes ago, Billings said:

Navy and Army need the eastern exposure for recruits.   Air Force also wants more exposure and that is why Texas teams are being talked about.

Yeah, I've read that too. It makes sense they'd want to get into the east & south.

I just wonder how much exposure are they going to get playing teams like North TX or UTSA? Or even SMU?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

GTFO. Nobody wants to watch wishbone teams. Please stick AF and Navy with somebody else. 

While I don’t want to play Wishbone teams don’t kid yourself.  Navy and AF have some of the best ratings in the conferences.  ESPN wanted AF for a reason.  

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

While I don’t want to play Wishbone teams don’t kid yourself.  Navy and AF have some of the best ratings in the conferences.  ESPN wanted AF for a reason.  

And? Have some other team be their rival. 

8 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

1.  The Commander and Chief Trophy is an annual thing.  Air Force, Army, and Navy play every year.

2.  We can play those non conference games between Army and Navy where ever we want.  This years Air Force vs Army game is being held in Arlington Texas.  It sucks for those of us with season tickets but, It's for the greater good.  I know that may sound corny but those games away from home add a lot of exposure and is good for recruitment.  Perhaps SDSU and Hawaii can schedule Navy to play in their respective stadiums in an out of conference game.  

3.  I have to go back to number 2.

Navy is in the Eastern Time Zone.  To pull those student athletes out of class and training for that kind of travel is brutal.  Same with Army.  Those two schools are in the same time zone and it makes sense for them to stay where they are.  It would be bad enough for Air Force to go to the AAC in all sports and have to travel a thousand +miles.  I was against that whole AAC move idea.

Yes I agree which is why I like pods and I would keep mostly in the eastern schools.   If you take Navy you take 3 other central time zone schools.  

38 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

North Texas will end up in the AAC.  I don't think the MWC can move quick enough to make that invite.  It's just not how Craig Thompson has operated in the past.  

I personally see North Texas as a good opportunity for the MWC.  Large student population (40k) and willing to put money into facilities. 

What say you.  Where do you see North Texas as your next conference affiliation?  Don't say Big12 because that  isn't going to happen.

I’m coming around to UNT.  

Option 1. SMU and Memphis 

Option 2. UNT and UTSA(football only) 

3 hours ago, RambleOn said:

Joe Parker speculates that they would require less to come on board than anyone from the AAC would which adds to their attractiveness.

This was actually a very good point. He specifically raised the possibility of offering teams a smaller share of TV revenue compared to the existing full members and then moving to a full share when the next TV deal is completed. You could easily offer the CUSA Texas schools (whatever combination you think if right) a smaller share (say $1M-1.5M) and it would still be way more than they are getting from the current CUSA TV deal, which is a measly $200k p/school. 

They'd still need to sort out the exit fees though and possibly subsidize entrance fees.

AAC would be more attractive to any TX schools. 

AAC gets first pick(s) of TX schools, if they want any. 

If we take any TX schools, and they get good, we could lose them to the AAC.

Can't AFA, or any other school, prioritize scheduling a TX team every year?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 hours ago, Reverend said:

I believe IF the MWC wants to expand they are most likely in negotiations with North Texas and UTSA just like the American. Not sure if the AAC would North Texas since they have SMU.

MWC has made it clear they are not gonna grab New Mexico State or UTEP. If the MWC expands it's North Texas and????? Rice is a no go for me but the MWC Presidents would love that addition.

I like North Texas with UTSA or Texas State.

UTSA  plays football in an oversized dump and basketball in an undersized  dump. We've  seen this movie before with  SJSUs empty promises about facilities upgrades.  If they're to be admitted it would take some concrete action to improve and invest.  UNT has already shown that commitment  but is the 7th or 8th best team in Texas worth it?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

AAC would be more attractive to any TX schools. 

AAC gets first pick(s) of TX schools, if they want any. 

If we take any TX schools, and they get good, we could lose them to the AAC.

Can't AFA, or any other school, prioritize scheduling a TX team every year?

Well, so far we've heard three 3 AD's specifically call out Texas as a location they would like the MW to get into. I think it'll happen if they can figure out the financials.

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

UTSA  plays football in an oversized dump and basketball in an undersized  dump. We've  seen this movie before with  SJSUs empty promises about facilities upgrades.  If they're to be admitted it would take some concrete action to improve and invest.  UNT has already shown that commitment  but is the 7th or 8th best team in Texas worth it?

Your AD sounded like he was intrigued by some Texas schools (excluding SMU, which would be the top target) which have made facilities investments recently. That narrows it down to UNT (stadium + practice facilities) and UTSA (new football facility).

1 minute ago, idkk said:

Your AD sounded like he was intrigued by some Texas schools (excluding SMU, which would be the top target) which have made facilities investments recently. That narrows it down to UNT (stadium + practice facilities) and UTSA (new football facility).

They still play in the Alamo Dome and BB is played in a 2500 seat gym.

I don't see them as a viable option but who knows. Again, I don't see how adding the 7th or 8th best D1 team in Texas does much for the conference.  Staying the same and building brand recognition is a better strategy. That and requiring all schools to have a stadium with 2 sides. So Bush league

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke