Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

How much egg is on the face of the AAC after the MWC's best properties as well as CSU and AFA laughed them out of the room?

Stop it. SDSU wants nothing to do with the AAC as it relates to football, basketball, baseball and every other sport outside of womens rowing.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Just now, Dirtball said:

Stop it. SDSU wants nothing to do with the AAC as it relates to football, basketball, baseball and every other sport outside of womens rowing.

aresco confirmed in a recent interview that theyve only been courting teams that reach out first...

sdsu ultimately turned down the offer, but it pretty much confirms there are terms in which sdsu would have joined and sdsu looked too see if they could be met ... there is nothing that supports your claim at all

@halfmanhalfbroncowe have another of " MWC teams were knocking down Aresco's door begging for admittance".

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

14 minutes ago, pesik said:

aresco confirmed in a recent interview that theyve only been courting teams that reach out first...

sdsu ultimately turned down the offer, but it pretty much confirms there are terms in which sdsu would have joined and sdsu looked too see if they could be met ... there is nothing that supports your claim at all

Aresco said they only approached teams that have shown interest.  He did not say when they showed interest, that is political speak.  National media all reporting that SDSU and Boise told the AAC to get +++++ing lost, but the AAC can save face saying they only approached schools that reached out to them first, and while SDSU and Boise did reach out to them in years past but still turned them down, it was the AAC begging on their knees this go round

National consensus is that the AAC was told to go +++++ themselves by Boise and SDSU, Aresco is using fancy language to downplay that.

Pessik is not inline for a ban.  He is just stupid and has been stupid for years.  

@utgrizfan, question...  are the University of Montana, and Montana State, joined at the hip? Would politics in Montana, allow the Grizzlies to move to the MWC, without MSU? Would you two have to be a package deal, or nothing at all?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 9/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, 4UNLV said:

Get SMU and Memphis.. That would make the MW a really good conference, with or without Gonzaga. If they want to join, fine, lol. If not, Wichita wanted to join at one point, another one of Hair's brilliant moves.

Yes. AFA MIGHT be the equal of SMU in football but CSU certainly isn't and Memphis is superior to all the other three. Then there's basketball. AFA is awful and CSU is just average whereas Memphis is among the elite G5s and SMU is very good too.

Alas, the MWC commissioner is as inept as the Aresco Athletic Conference commissioner so it will never happen..

5 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

@utgrizfan, question...  are the University of Montana, and Montana State, joined at the hip? Would politics in Montana, allow the Grizzlies to move to the MWC, without MSU? Would you two have to be a package deal, or nothing at all?

UM and MSU are candidates because they win. But here’s the thing that happens. When you face stronger competition other variables come into play. Recruiting - Montana produces maybe 2 DI athletes per year? Northern Nevada only produces a handful but it’s 2 hours from Sac. Revenue? Are they going to jack their football tickets to spend the $$ other programs benefit from because of larger market size? Winning breeds attendance but they are going to win at the same clip? No. Especially on the road.

I actually like both of those programs. The problem is they have it right. It’s us MWC programs who have it backwards. Football isn’t built for teams to chase the elite 20-30 programs. It's changing but the issues still remain. An Iowa St. (for example) has no chance of playing with the big boys and that pursuit is getting reckless and stupid with the money that’s being thrown around.

So is a UM coming to the MWC? I don’t think it’s very likely or probable. 

1 hour ago, southfresno said:

We need to poach AAC teams, if only to ward off any future incursions. What the AAC did was dirty. We have to retaliate for their belligerence.

What that's left of that conference besides Memphis and SMU is worth a tinker's damn?

33 minutes ago, pesik said:

And of course Aresco would NEVER bullshit people...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Yes. AFA MIGHT be the equal of SMU in football but CSU certainly isn't and Memphis is superior to all the other three. Then there's basketball. AFA is awful and CSU is just average whereas Memphis is among the elite G5s and SMU is very good too.

Alas, the MWC commissioner is as inept as the Aresco Athletic Conference commissioner so it will never happen..

I’d bet both of those program suffer significantly based on the loss of the best programs in the AAC. I think the MWC experienced similar when TCU, BYU and Utah bailed. Boise football was a saving grace. Fresno football has had its moments. Nevada and USU basketball have been decent. But there needs to be consistency and that has not been the case. 

Just now, NevadaFan said:

I’d bet both of those program suffer significantly based on the loss of the best programs in the AAC. I think the MWC experienced similar when TCU, BYU and Utah bailed. Boise football was a saving grace. Fresno football has had its moments. Nevada and USU basketball have been decent. But there needs to be consistency and that has not been the case. 

This is apparent to me. Even if the MWC doesn't retaliate, if the Aresco Conference takes AFA and CSU, it's a net gain for Herr Thompson and the Molehill Worst.

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

This is apparent to me. Even if the MWC doesn't retaliate, if the Aresco Conference takes AFA and CSU, it's a net gain for Herr Thompson and the Molehill Worst.

I think so. Vegas and UNM basketball cratered. That’s been huge on the hoops side.  You fix those two programs and MWC basketball is infinity better, especially with the loss of AFA who always sucks at hoops. 

On 9/29/2021 at 5:08 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Now is the time for hair/MWC to make a move. Offer any combination of SMU/Memphis/Tulsa, and UTSA… then let Gonzaga know that they can strike an “espn sweetheart deal” like BSU, and join us in basketball!

Gonzaga yes. SMU yes. I think Memphis would rather stand pat and hope for a B12 invite however. But, to be honest, I don't see us adding anyone if the to Colorado schools leave. Still don't see how it makes sense for CSU to leave.

1 hour ago, pesik said:

your response makes no sense... the point being debated was he said that "sdsu wanted absolutely nothing to do with the aac".. i noted sdsu has been a part of the aac from the start, "absolutely nothing" is a stretch

if i said "sdsu wanted absolutely nothing to do with pac 12," yes it is an appropriate response to note that sdsu has some sports in the pac 12 and how that would make ne sense...

For a very minor sport, sport. Again, we are in the Pac12 in Men's soccer and currently rated 14th. That doesn't mean we are a Pac-12 team.

19 minutes ago, uteAggie said:

Not buying the Aresco bullchit about we only talk to schools who reach out to us, apparently NOT since they went hard after Boise and SDSU and got told "not no but HELL NO" so.... pound sand AAC trolls 

Really doubt Army approached the AAC.  Sounds like commish speak to me

5 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Gonzaga yes. SMU yes. I think Memphis would rather stand pat and hope for a B12 invite however. But, to be honest, I don't see us adding anyone if the to Colorado schools leave. Still don't see how it makes sense for CSU to leave.

I think CSU admin is desperate. The stadium didn’t move the needle as they argued that it would. 

54 minutes ago, pesik said:

No, the AAC reached out to SDSU as a football only add (before the AAC lost its 3 best programs). SDSU said there was no way they would accept such a deal. Now, the AAC offered SDSU to join as a full member and we said no. The AAC, as it stands right now, is a worse conference which is why Aresco is desperately trying to backfill.