Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Project Management

I'm interested to see if any of y'all are project managers or have project management in your generalized job duties. 

I've been a project manager in the past, and have an associate level certification. I'm studying now to get my PMP (and my wife is actually doing the same), and while I know my CAPM cert from PMI was relatively easy, the PMP is significantly more difficult. Does anyone have experience with taking that particular cert? 

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'm interested to see if any of y'all are project managers or have project management in your generalized job duties. 

I've been a project manager in the past, and have an associate level certification. I'm studying now to get my PMP (and my wife is actually doing the same), and while I know my CAPM cert from PMI was relatively easy, the PMP is significantly more difficult. Does anyone have experience with taking that particular cert? 

Yes. And yes. Did not find it difficult, but academic-type shit has always come easy to me and brings out my inner overachiever.

Do it. As someone who has reviewed plenty of CVs over my career, if I'm looking for a PM and all other things are equal, I'm hiring the PMP certified applicant. I mean, in reality, certifications don't mean shit compared to good references and face-to-face evaluations, and some ppl with hiring responsibilities will tell you it's of little value, but in the end, it's a net add to your CV.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yes. And yes. Did not find it difficult, but academic-type shit has always come easy to me and brings out my inner overachiever.

Do it. As someone who has reviewed plenty of CVs over my career, if I'm looking for a PM and all other things are equal, I'm hiring the PMP certified applicant. I mean, in reality, certifications don't mean shit compared to good references and face-to-face evaluations, and some ppl with hiring responsibilities will tell you it's of little value, but in the end, it's a net add to your CV.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly just viewing it as a value add to my resume. I've managed a number of projects in my career, and spent time as an actual project manager like I mentioned. There are just some companies that tend to view a PMP as almost superior to an MBA for some reason. So I figure it's just one more bonus as I continue to make my way up the corporate ladder. 

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly just viewing it as a value add to my resume. I've managed a number of projects in my career, and spent time as an actual project manager like I mentioned. There are just some companies that tend to view a PMP as almost superior to an MBA for some reason. So I figure it's just one more bonus as I continue to make my way up the corporate ladder. 

Also, you'll be able to command more for the same open position than you would without it.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

PMP means you've got enough real world experience as a project manager to get the designation. MBA just means you're good at school and are ok with student debt. I'll hire based on professional certifications over degrees any day.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

25 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

PMP means you've got enough real world experience as a project manager to get the designation. MBA just means you're good at school and are ok with student debt. I'll hire based on professional certifications over degrees any day.

Some people have ten years of experience, while others have ten years of one year of experience. 

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i'd find someone who understands how to identify and work the levers of the corporate political landscape

project managers are there to get doo doo done, and a PMP and an MBA are not indicators of that ability

just my two cents

They are real good at organizing conference calls...

19 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

They are real good at organizing conference calls...

I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but I expect a good PM to not only coordinate and run Scrum calls and Slack meetings but to flush out story grooming sessions with product owners, sked everything from unit testing through acceptance testing, and clean that Jira board like a hungry kid cleans a plate. When you're running Agile you need to be fast, lean, and quick to respond to change requests while keeping shit on point and on schedule. I've seen a wide spectrum of proficiency in that regard. 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but I expect a good PM to not only coordinate and run Scrum calls and Slack meetings but to flush out story grooming sessions with product owners, sked everything from unit testing through acceptance testing, and clean that Jira board like a hungry kid cleans a plate. When you're running Agile you need to be fast, lean, and quick to respond to change requests while keeping shit on point and on schedule. I've seen a wide spectrum of proficiency in that regard. 

They do a good job for software development for sure.  The problem I run into is too many PMs for a project. So you end up spending all your time issuing reports instead of doing work.  I was doing a spatial analytics report for Charter communicstions as a part of their merger commitment.  It was me, and one other guy building the sql, doing the gis work and creating the reports.  But we had 10 PMs. We kept falling behind because 90% of our day was responding to PM update requests.

Procrastination Management is my area of expertise. Later, I'll tell you how...oh wiat. Sorry, I misread the title. 

10 hours ago, retrofade said:

PMP is the same test as the CAPM but just more questions. The experience requirements is the hardest part imo. I had to get a CAPM for my Masters Degree from WGU.

18 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

PMP is the same test as the CAPM but just more questions. The experience requirements is the hardest part imo. I had to get a CAPM for my Masters Degree from WGU.

It's always nice to come across another WGU grad!

That said, from what I've been told by people who have passed both the PMP and CAPM, the PMP is application of theory while the CAPM is more definitions. I passed the CAPM without much difficulty at all. 

On 9/29/2021 at 5:12 PM, retrofade said:

It's always nice to come across another WGU grad!

That said, from what I've been told by people who have passed both the PMP and CAPM, the PMP is application of theory while the CAPM is more definitions. I passed the CAPM without much difficulty at all. 

You pass the PMP yet?  I realized I can take the 35 hour course (24 hours at 1.5 speed) for free online thanks to my library. I'm just starting out now.

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

You pass the PMP yet?  I realized I can take the 35 hour course (24 hours at 1.5 speed) for free online thanks to my library. I'm just starting out now.

No, I haven't yet. I'm going through a 35 hours course right now myself, mostly so I can keep my CAPM active until I pass the PMP. I've been working on some other stuff as well though, as I'm currently up for a couple of Program Manager positions right now.