Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

azgreg

The Outdoors Thread: hiking, camping, fishing, etc.

I'll start. Me and Mrs azgreg took a day trip to visit Montezuma Castle, Montezuma Well, and the V Bar V Heritage site. The first two have Indian ruins and the third is a petroglyph site in the Verde Valley.

Montezuma Castle:

XGUchMI.jpg

M1dDr98.jpg

NHNUqkz.jpg

Montezuma Well:

FhHNluY.jpg

fikV5Rw.jpg

j3sMy2h.jpg

V bar V Heritage Site:

na0DzzB.jpg

0vjMgVI.jpg

o7dDVw9.jpg

People, not a fan.

22 minutes ago, azgreg said:

I'll start. Me and Mrs azgreg took a day trip to visit Montezuma Castle, Montezuma Well, and the V Bar V Heritage site. The first two have Indian ruins and the third is a petroglyph site in the Verde Valley.

Montezuma Castle:

XGUchMI.jpg

M1dDr98.jpg

NHNUqkz.jpg

Montezuma Well:

FhHNluY.jpg

fikV5Rw.jpg

j3sMy2h.jpg

V bar V Heritage Site:

na0DzzB.jpg

0vjMgVI.jpg

o7dDVw9.jpg

Absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing those, man. I love the pueblo cultures and the ruins in the SW.

One of my wife's good friends is a legit mountaineer. We were supposed to accompany her and her husband (along with a few other friends) to hike Kilimanjaro last year.

Since then, she has develped knee problems so her hiking is on hold, and I'm going in later this week to get an MRI to see if I have a torn meniscus. So even my mtb is on hold right now... :facepalm:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 hours ago, azgreg said:

I know there's been threads on specific locations and how you waste your time. How about a thread dedicated to the great outdoors. Let us know where you're going and provide some pics of the trip.

My most recent trip was close to yours, hiked West Fork Trail in Sedona.  

Would you mind giving a quick lesson on how to use Imgur to upload a picture?  Is it safer?

4 hours ago, azgreg said:

Montezuma Castle:

XGUchMI.jpg

M1dDr98.jpg

NHNUqkz.jpg

Montezuma Well:

FhHNluY.jpg

fikV5Rw.jpg

j3sMy2h.jpg

V bar V Heritage Site:

na0DzzB.jpg

0vjMgVI.jpg

o7dDVw9.jpg

I fell in love with this area when I lived in Flagstaff. Also, got into a little run-in with a big tarantula at the Montezuma Castle site. 

8 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

My most recent trip was close to yours, hiked West Fork Trail in Sedona.  

Would you mind giving a quick lesson on how to use Imgur to upload a picture?  Is it safer?

Love West Fork Trail. Hike it at least once a year.

Imgur works fine. I used to use Photobucket but they took away the free option years ago. Another option is postimage but I haven't used them in a while. https://postimages.org/

For Imgur you just click on the +New Post button on the top left and a box opens up to post your image.

People, not a fan.

Tule River, Cedar Grove, Hume Lake, Ferndale in that order.

Tule River is cool, it's easy to access all times of year, not desolate, but not crowded.

Cedar Grove we got to this year, don't think it has gotten any fire damage from the KNP Complex fire, and would like to go back and have the kids do an overnight trailride.

Hume Lake and Montana De Oro are my two favorite places.  Hume is just an hour and 15 minutes from my doorstep, so I go there a lot.

I did this little hike on a county trail in Ferndale in Humboldt County with my daughter when everyone else was still sleeping in the morning.  The morning fog made it a memorable hike.

DSC_5994.JPG

555066688_cedargrove.JPG

1768403064_IMG_0390(2).JPG

ferndale.JPG

And these are from Montana De Oro.  Before the company I work for, bought another company, and my territory and products got changed, I covered Santa Maria to Salinas over on the coast.  For a lot of reasons, it was the best job I'll ever have.  But one of the things I liked the most about it, was every three weeks I'd spend a couple nights in San Luis.  I would always go hiking at the end of the day, and had no kids or distractions to deal with when I was there.

377996093_birdatmontanadeoro.JPG

404992888_montanadeororocksatsunset.JPG

On 9/27/2021 at 4:46 PM, azgreg said:

Montezuma Castle:

XGUchMI.jpg

M1dDr98.jpg

NHNUqkz.jpg

Montezuma Well:

FhHNluY.jpg

fikV5Rw.jpg

j3sMy2h.jpg

V bar V Heritage Site:

na0DzzB.jpg

0vjMgVI.jpg

o7dDVw9.jpg

Badass man. Would love to see that stuff.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Have a week of elk hunting starting friday, Wyoming area 40 west side in Bighorn Mtns. Top just got 2 ft of snow.  Will be quite an adventure.

Best of luck.  Will be doing my first ever in a couple of weeks.  Really excited about it.  Share pics if you can

12 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Tule River, Cedar Grove, Hume Lake, Ferndale in that order.

Tule River is cool, it's easy to access all times of year, not desolate, but not crowded.

Cedar Grove we got to this year, don't think it has gotten any fire damage from the KNP Complex fire, and would like to go back and have the kids do an overnight trailride.

Hume Lake and Montana De Oro are my two favorite places.  Hume is just an hour and 15 minutes from my doorstep, so I go there a lot.

I did this little hike on a county trail in Ferndale in Humboldt County with my daughter when everyone else was still sleeping in the morning.  The morning fog made it a memorable hike.

DSC_5994.JPG

555066688_cedargrove.JPG

1768403064_IMG_0390(2).JPG

ferndale.JPG

My dad and uncle would drag me up to Camp Nelson every year when I was growing up.  The road up there was crazy.

1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

My dad and uncle would drag me up to Camp Nelson every year when I was growing up.  The road up there was crazy.

Yah, the 190 is tough.  Running crews of gang kids for the USFS was my college summer job up there.

That was my favorite spot, just past Camp Nelson in the Golden Trout Wilderness.  It's unrecognizable since the fire last year.  These are before and after pics, I still can't get all the way to the jordan peak lookout (which burned) but the burn pic is on the road in there.  That was actually lightning that started that fire, and I know it's a cycle that has to happen, still depresses me because it won't look the same again in my lifetime.  That was a really bad fire.

burn picture.jpeg

1819366680_jordanpeakbetterview.JPG

1749294500_jordanpeakview.JPG

On 9/28/2021 at 5:29 AM, azgreg said:

Love West Fork Trail. Hike it at least once a year.

Imgur works fine. I used to use Photobucket but they took away the free option years ago. Another option is postimage but I haven't used them in a while. https://postimages.org/

For Imgur you just click on the +New Post button on the top left and a box opens up to post your image.

I haven't been there, but I have been to Walnut Canyon National Monument near Flagstaff, which is similar.  It is cool as hell how they built those cities right into the side of the cliff.

3 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Hunting elk starting in 2 weeks…area 7.  West side of I-25 just off of Laramie Peak.  Cow only tag unfortunately but elk all the same.

Nice, used to go there regularly. Laramie Peak, Black Butte, I forget the name of the little town just north of black butte.

Hunted it 7 years ago.  Saw some of the biggest bulls ever in that area and never pulled my trigger.  Don’t regret it at all.  

my oldest son also drew a tag and we are gonna spend a couple of weekends up there to see if we can harvest a couple of cows.  Can’t wait!

55 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Yah, the 190 is tough.  Running crews of gang kids for the USFS was my college summer job up there.

That was my favorite spot, just past Camp Nelson in the Golden Trout Wilderness.  It's unrecognizable since the fire last year.  These are before and after pics, I still can't get all the way to the jordan peak lookout (which burned) but the burn pic is on the road in there.  That was actually lightning that started that fire, and I know it's a cycle that has to happen, still depresses me because it won't look the same again in my lifetime.  That was a really bad fire.

burn picture.jpeg

1819366680_jordanpeakbetterview.JPG

1749294500_jordanpeakview.JPG

Yeah they went there for the trout.  I didn't get it but I was like 11 years old. Then my uncle got drunk one time at the Camp Nelson Bar/Lodge on time and got us banned.  True story

47 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I haven't been there, but I have been to Walnut Canyon National Monument near Flagstaff, which is similar.  It is cool as hell how they built those cities right into the side of the cliff.

Speaking of Walnut Canyon.

R05oTGZ.jpg

jldgH2z.jpg

htjw2BV.jpg

Zw3LGc4.jpg

People, not a fan.