Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngredbullfan

Anybody drink Stouts/Porters/Scottish Ales/ Dark beer?

9 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

Not sure if you’ve had any of these on your  AZ trips.

Borderlands (Tucson) - German Chocolate Cake Porter

San Tan Brewery (Chandler) - Sex Panther Porter

Wren House (PHX) - Jomax Stout

SunUp (PHX) - White Russian Imperial Stout

Dark Sky Brewing (Flagstaff) - they are known for stouts etc. at their brewery

Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter - ok but a classic locally

The Perch (Chandler) - Belgian Peach

Good call on Kilt Lifter by the way

No but now I have a list! Thank you!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 hours ago, happycamper said:

I've seen it in Wenatchee but didn't get it cause I've had "smoky" beer that made me want to die. Is it just a nice scotch style with a name?

Yep. Great scotch style. I wouldn't characterize the flavor as "smoky" at all.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Yep. Great scotch style. I wouldn't characterize the flavor as "smoky" at all.

well now I'm on the hunt!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

This is one of beers that steered me away from the Coronas, Heinekens and Budweisers of the world. Good stuff.  

Me as well.  I also got something called Wake-N-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout last week from Lees Liqour out here.  It was crazy good and 9.4abv

Just now, Stealthlobo said:

Just had one of the best "dark" beers I've had this season :D

PXL_20210929_223352134.jpg

PXL_20210929_222941188.jpg

"Blonde stout". As of today, I have heard it all. It does look and sound tasty though.

15 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

"Blonde stout". As of today, I have heard it all. It does look and sound tasty though.

I've had a few in recent years, usually it's just a novelty thing. But woods boss is damn good. Their Black IPA is also one of my favs.

4 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

These three are in my annual rotation.  It was a sad day when CBS was discontinued.  

Ah man, I didn't know the discontinued CBS! That mapley goodness was sent straight from the heavens (or well, you know, Canada). Gonna have to scour the internet to see if I can find any reserves.

And Parabola is so dangerously good. Love when it's in rotation on tap.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:30 AM, happycamper said:

Porter- Uinta's Baltic Porter is great. 

Stout- Zonker Stout from Snake River is a platonic ideal

Dark Ale- Quilters Irish Death is pretty good

Fanciness- Dragon's Milk from New Holland. Hits a little hard.

As far as scotch style? Kilt Lifter out of AZ is pretty good. There's a lot of heavy malty ales like Little Sumpin Sumpin that have that same malty very high gravity profile but don't really market themselves that way. 

You could also look for some maibock style beers if you like scotch style - Dead Guy ale by Rogue you can find just about anwhere and that is a great example. 

About5-6 years ago a lot of companies were making a nice brown ale that was a step between the smoothness of an amber and the taste of a porter, that was my jam. Unfortunately a lot of those have been discontinued. 
 Oh and of course,

@RogueStout

Zonker was what got me into craft beer way back when. It is still the standard for American stouts imho. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 9/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, tailingpermit said:

Not a rye fan, but if you want to get back to your LV roots this is good stuff if you can find it, a little over priced at $75. 9351B645-F697-4419-A4A0-D985CEBDBE9B.jpeg.9029872c3a1ba6bc3492aabbef6904ad.jpeg

His LV roots would be draining 40's with the hendo ho's in a parking lot.  

I like socially conscious advanced degree @youngredbullfan don't get me wrong, but there are days I miss banging trap hos in de Hendo YRF

On 9/26/2021 at 4:32 PM, youngredbullfan said:

Trying to expand my horizons beyond Guinness. Any recommendations? 

Any discussion on dark beer that does not prominantly list Doppelbocks is woefully inadequate.  These beers are full flavored, heavy on the malt, light on the hops and weigh in on the high side, 6.5-8.5% v/v alcohol content.  So no need to suck down bottle after bottle of over carbonated lager or bitter beer face IPA to catch a buzz.  Doppelbocks get you there with less volume and a smooth deep flavor.  Do yourself a favor and explore this largely unexplored, by Americans that is beer style.

German Doppelbocks are by far my favorite beers.  There is no better style of beer in my opinion to pair with food.  My favorite Doppelbocks in order are:

1)  Weihenstephaner Korbinian (My favorite beer of all time.  Korbinian truly is the nectar of the gods!)

2)  Spaten Optimator

3)  Paulaner Salvator

4) Ayinger Celebrator

There are several American brewed doppelbocks.  While they are enjoyable for me they aren't on par with the German brewed doppelbocks above.  Some of the better American doppelbocks are:

1)  Wasatch Brewery Devastator

2)  Sam Adams Doppelbock

3)  Ballast Point Navigator

4)  Duck-Rabbit Brewery Rabbator

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/35/

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

His LV roots would be draining 40's with the hendo ho's in a parking lot.  

I like socially conscious advanced degree @youngredbullfan don't get me wrong, but there are days I miss banging trap hos in de Hendo YRF

Did you ever venture into the Centerfold or What's Up Lounge?  Quality trailer trash strippers.

One of my favorite things in the world was sipping on a porter on that first real crisp fall weekend in the northeast. 

Its gonna almost feel like fall in california this weekend. I may have to find a reason to go up into the mountains and have me a porter. 

This was my most likely choice at the time. Not because it's that good, but because I was so, so poor..

ci-yuengling-porter-1f8730733c27b942.jpeg

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

One of my favorite things in the world was sipping on a porter on that first real crisp fall weekend in the northeast. 

Its gonna almost feel like fall in california this weekend. I may have to find a reason to go up into the mountains and have me a porter. 

This was my most likely choice at the time. Not because it's that good, but because I was so, so poor..

I remember when the Tampa bottling plant went into full production, Budweiser disappeared from bar taps in Key West.

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Many years ago, on a flight back to LAX from JFK, we layed-over in Pittsburgh. I had dinner at the airport, asked the bartender if they served anything local. He poured me a savoring, local red amber. I cannot remember if it was Yuengling or McKillans or something else. And I hate that because I thought it was sooo good. :facepalm:  I almost feel like it was Yuengling.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, tailingpermit said:

Not a rye fan, but if you want to get back to your LV roots this is good stuff if you can find it, a little over priced at $75. 9351B645-F697-4419-A4A0-D985CEBDBE9B.jpeg.9029872c3a1ba6bc3492aabbef6904ad.jpeg

I thought in order for a distillery to refer to it as bourbon it had to be from Kentucky?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg