Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

September 26 Polls

The complete polls will be out in the next few hours.

But a few writers are starting to post their AP ballots. Some nice moves for Fresno and San Diego

Brett McMurphy put Fresno at #14 (after leaving the Bulldogs out last week) and SDSU at #20.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1442149463842250753

Chris Murray from Reno has Fresno at #15 (up from 18) and SDSU at #25.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/murrays-ap-top-25-arkansas-moves-into-top-five-clemson-unranked

Matt Baker at the Tampa Bay Times moves Fresno to #17 (up from 19 last week). Now he has Fresno ahead of Coastal Carolina.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/gators/2021/09/26/our-ap-top-25-ballot-florida-rises-plus-top-five-arkansas-and-top-15-wake-forest

Steve Batterson from Iowa has Fresno at #19 (up from 23 last week)

https://qctimes.com/sports/college/football/battersons-ballot-moving-day/article_413d6a4b-f2ec-5e25-b692-671671a9381a.html

A few more ballots. Looking like Fresno will be in the 15 to 20 range with SDSU getting votes.

Ethan Joyce from North Carolina has Fresno at #16 (up from 22).

https://journalnow.com/sports/college/ethan-joyces-week-4-ballot-in-the-ap-top-25/article_65251670-1ed8-11ec-aa06-630d69ede3ba.html

Johnny McGonigal from Pittsburgh has Fresno at #18 (up from 22 last week).

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/2021/09/26/College-football-rankings-Week-4-top-25-ballot-analysis-Penn-State-West-Virginia-Pitt-Clemson-Notre-Dame-Boston-College-Maryland/stories/202109260188

Mike Barber from Richmond Virginia has Fresno at #24 (after leaving them out last week) and SDSU at #25.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/barber-my-ap-top-25-ballot-week-4/article_d7f77db3-5a08-5146-af96-4c4b800ff0ee.html

And hence part of the stupid part of this poll. I am guessing Fresno moves up a bit because of 1.) Attrition- the long the season goes on the more loses pile up and 2.) Getting full credit for UCLA wins as some voters didn't account for it last week as they had already completed their ballot before the knew Fresno won.

But in reality Fresno had their worse week of the season. Don't get me wrong every team (outside of maybe a few top teams) have 1-2 down weeks. But still as a Fresno fan you have to wonder if the UNLV result was a regression to the mean and we have 2-3 loses coming up this MW season OR if it was a blip on the radar and we are a legit team that can contend for an Access bowl bid spot.

Don't get me wrong Fresno SHOULD be ranked. Close loss @ a top 5 school and a road win @ a top 20 school + no bad losses justifies being ranked. It is just weird that we will get rewarded so much in the polls this week. 

This is the one I was waiting for.

Jon Wilner from San Jose puts Fresno at #22 after leaving them off last week.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/26/my-ap-top-25-ballot-alabama-remains-no-1-while-notre-dame-climbs-arkansas-soars/

Wilner explains Fresno on his ballot this week:
"Fresno State entered the ballot following yet another win … but not entirely because of the victory over UNLV.  Rather, LSU was the key to configuring the bottom of the ballot.

We aren’t completely sold on the Tigers. But their win at Mississippi State added some credibility to UCLA’s head-to-head victory over LSU.

And that, in turn, increased the legitimacy of Fresno State’s head-to-head win at the Rose Bowl. As a result, all three teams are included on the ballot."

Pretty stout FSU  performance IMO coming off such a grueling, emotional road victory.  They can't all be masterpieces.  

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

13 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Don't get me wrong Fresno SHOULD be ranked. Close loss @ a top 5 school and a road win @ a top 20 school + no bad losses justifies being ranked. It is just weird that we will get rewarded so much in the polls this week. 

Last week many voters left Fresno off their ballots. Probably voters who did not stay up to watch the end of the game.

Much of this week's climb will be the scramble to correct that oversight.

Probably a few are also like Wilner, and looking at the UCLA and LSU performances this weekend.

4 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

This is the one I was waiting for.

Jon Wilner from San Jose puts Fresno at #22 after leaving them off last week.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/26/my-ap-top-25-ballot-alabama-remains-no-1-while-notre-dame-climbs-arkansas-soars/

Wilner explains Fresno on his ballot this week:
"Fresno State entered the ballot following yet another win … but not entirely because of the victory over UNLV.  Rather, LSU was the key to configuring the bottom of the ballot.

We aren’t completely sold on the Tigers. But their win at Mississippi State added some credibility to UCLA’s head-to-head victory over LSU.

And that, in turn, increased the legitimacy of Fresno State’s head-to-head win at the Rose Bowl. As a result, all three teams are included on the ballot."

BUT...what if Mississippi State sucks?

Sports writers are retards

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Coaches Poll is out.

Fresno State is at #21.

But they still have UCLA ahead of Fresno at #20.

SDSU is 4th highest among others. Wyoming gets 1 vote.

1. Alabama (64 first-place votes)
2. Georgia (1)
3. Oregon
4. Oklahoma
5. Iowa
6. Penn State
7. Notre Dame
8. Cincinnati
9. Florida
10. Ohio State
11. Arkansas
12. Ole Miss
13. Texas A&M
14. Michigan
15. BYU
16. Michigan State
16. Coastal Carolina
18. Oklahoma State
19. Clemson
20. UCLA
21. Fresno State
22. Auburn
23. Kentucky
24. Baylor
25. Wake Forest

Schools dropped out: No. 14 Iowa State, No. 15 Wisconsin, No. 20 North Carolina

Others receiving votes: Texas 101; Boston College 91; NC State 70; San Diego State 69; Maryland 59; Wisconsin 56; Southern Methodist 54; Virginia Tech 39; Louisiana State 36; Iowa State 31; Army 23; Arizona State 12; Texas-San Antonio 11; Liberty 11; North Carolina 10; Central Florida 9; Oregon State 7; UL Lafayette 3; Appalachian State 3; Louisville 2; Indiana 2; Wyoming 1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-oregon-jumps-oklahoma-arkansas-surges-upward-in-college-football-rankings/

honestly, I don't want SDSU ranked right now. The second we crack the top 25, we lose to UNM/AFA/SJSU. Would rather have a chip on our shoulder and play tough for possible ranked matchup with the sheep fukkers.

7 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

BUT...what if Mississippi State sucks?

Sports writers are retards

It's like the quote from Spaceballs, "I'm your father's, brother's, nephew's, cousin's, former roommate". At the end of the day it means nothing. Just play the damn games.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

One interesting ranking question could occur next week. If Cincy loses to Notre Dame and Fresno beats Hawaii does Fresno pass them in the polls? I get it is a LONG way down the road and probably won't even happen (heck Fresno barely beat UNLV) but there could be a scenario where bother Fresno and Cincy are 13-1 and the CFP has to pick the team that will make the Access bowl. 

And yes the only real poll that matters for this question is the CFP but the results in the coaches/AP poll will still give some clue. 

And I know Costal is also sitting there but at the end of the day I think a 13-0 Costal loses out to a 13-1 Cincy or Fresno. Heck I think a 13-0 SDSU would pass a 13-0 Costal also. 

Just now, thedude15 said:

One interesting ranking question could occur next week. If Cincy loses to Notre Dame and Fresno beats Hawaii does Fresno pass them in the polls? I get it is a LONG way down the road and probably won't even happen (heck Fresno barely beat UNLV) but there could be a scenario where bother Fresno and Cincy are 13-1 and the CFP has to pick the team that will make the Access bowl. 

And yes the only real poll that matters for this question is the CFP but the results in the coaches/AP poll will still give some clue. 

And I know Costal is also sitting there but at the end of the day I think a 13-0 Costal loses out to a 13-1 Cincy or Fresno. Heck I think a 13-0 SDSU would pass a 13-0 Costal also. 

Fresno is gaining on Coastal Carolina. Fresno rose 4 places in Coaches but Coastal Carolina rose only 1 spot even with their 50 point margin over UMass.

AP Fresno 21

Complete Rankings

Others receiving votes: Texas 101, Boston College 91, NC State 70, San Diego State 69, Maryland 59, Wisconsin 56, SMU 54, Virginia Tech 39, LSU 36, Iowa State 31, Army 23, Arizona State 12, UTSA 11, Liberty 11, North Carolina 10, UCF 9, Oregon State 7, Appalachian State 3, Louisiana 3, Louisville 2, Indiana 2, Wyoming 1

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

1 minute ago, steveem said:

AP Fresno 21

Complete Rankings

Others receiving votes: Texas 101, Boston College 91, NC State 70, San Diego State 69, Maryland 59, Wisconsin 56, SMU 54, Virginia Tech 39, LSU 36, Iowa State 31, Army 23, Arizona State 12, UTSA 11, Liberty 11, North Carolina 10, UCF 9, Oregon State 7, Appalachian State 3, Louisiana 3, Louisville 2, Indiana 2, Wyoming 1

18 in the AP poll I am looking at. 

26 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Ugh. I hate rankings when it comes to Fresno. Its a +++++ing curse for that team

I'm feeling pretty good right now. The team had a collective "oh shit" moment on Friday night and now they know to not let the publicity go to their heads. If we can get past Hawaii at 5-1 going into the bye week, this team will be in great shape going forward. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

6 minutes ago, steveem said:

AP Fresno 21

Complete Rankings

I think you posted the coaches’ poll

Just now, ridgeview2 said:

I'm feeling pretty good right now. The team had a collective "oh shit" moment on Friday night and now they know to not let the publicity go to their heads. If we can get past Hawaii at 5-1 going into the bye week, this team will be in great shape going forward. 

It is a blessing and curse for any MW type team. It puts a huge mark on you back in conference play. That is just the way it will always be in a league that typically only have one ranked team at a time. But of course it also increases media exposure, helps recruiting, puts fans in the stands. Basically consistent rankings are how you build a program (duh lol) so you have to deal with the downside that comes with it. 

I am happy we survived the first game with a mark on our back and hopefully it is a lesson to players.