Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Check out this California "refugee" running for Boise city council.

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'd just like to point out that while North Carolina may be in the "south", but it sure as hell isn't the "deep south". Texas as a whole doesn't really count in that definition either. I believe the "deep south" is generally considered to comprise Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. 

Meh, I look at any state that was part of the confederacy as part of the deep south, or at least the south. 

Virginia was an interesting state. Around the DC Metro area it is very Northern, drive an hour south to Richmond and everyone has a southern accent. They had a huge statue of Robert E Lee last time I was there. I have no idea if they have taken it down. 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Meh, I look at any state that was part of the confederacy as part of the deep south, or at least the south. 

Virginia was an interesting state. Around the DC Metro area it is very Northern, drive an hour south to Richmond and everyone has a southern accent. They had a huge statue of Robert E Lee last time I was there. I have no idea if they have taken it down. 

They literally took it down two weeks ago.

I can tell you that in NC, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem are very much not the south. The surrounding areas may be, but the major population and economic centers aren't. 

5 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Canyon County is a disaster. The population has exploded over the last 50 years. They are just putting in new housing developments wherever there is bare land , without consideration of if  the local infrastructure can handle all the new traffic. Getting out of my neighborhood sometimes can be a painful experience. 

I'm spoiled in old town and not having to commute anymore.   I think even North Meridian is a little better now that infrastructure is in place at most intersections and there more sections of multi-lane arterials.  I feel 'ya 2C. 

My school was in SW Boise (actually a still unincorporated area) not far from @halfmanhalfbronco.  Getting out before the main rush most days, it was still a crazy trying to hit the Cole Rd. west exchange 2 miles away.  It would take 15 mts.  By that time I could take Victory Rd. west to almost Meridian Rd.  By rush time going south on those one lane roads in the SW Boise area was a clogged drain.

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:

I'm spoiled in old town and not having to commute anymore.   I think even North Meridian is a little better now that infrastructure is in place at most intersections and there more sections of multi-lane arterials.  I feel 'ya 2C. 

My school was in SW Boise (actually a still unincorporated area) not far from @halfmanhalfbronco.  Getting out before the main rush most days, it was still a crazy trying to hit the Cole Rd. west exchange 2 miles away.  It would take 15 mts.  By that time I could take Victory Rd. west to almost Meridian Rd.  By rush time going south on those one lane roads in the SW Boise area was a clogged drain.

My commute from where I live to HP every day for a few years, hated it.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

They literally took it down two weeks ago.

I can tell you that in NC, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem are very much not the south. The surrounding areas may be, but the major population and economic centers aren't. 

Gonna back retro here.

If you go to the deep south, they will tell you NC isn't the deep south.  And Ohioans have flooded NC, so even the native NC's are feeling the yankee effect.  The populous areas are just as retro is saying.  Besides Charlotte, it is southern with a lot of outside influence.  Charlotte is south in geography only.

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Gonna back retro here.

If you go to the deep south, they will tell you NC isn't the deep south.  And Ohioans have flooded NC, so even the native NC's are feeling the yankee effect.  The populous areas are just as retro is saying.  Besides Charlotte, it is southern with a lot of outside influence.  Charlotte is south in geography only.

Asheville is the same. We rented a place there for a week in the Fall of ‘19. Big hipster/artist scene. We stopped at this BBQ/Microbrew place and our server had just moved there from Portland. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

36 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Asheville is the same. We rented a place there for a week in the Fall of ‘19. Big hipster/artist scene. We stopped at this BBQ/Microbrew place and our server had just moved there from Portland. 

I love Asheville. It's like its own little world out there. 

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

The Confederacy had essentially 5 regions or so. You had the original south - basically Virginia and NC. You had the Upland South - KY and Tennessee. You had the Deep South - Georgia thru Mississippi. You had Louisiana, and you had Texas.

The Upland South had a much different economy than the deep south and a much smaller slave population proportionately. You can still see the difference today. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

32 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The Confederacy had essentially 5 regions or so. You had the original south - basically Virginia and NC. You had the Upland South - KY and Tennessee. You had the Deep South - Georgia thru Mississippi. You had Louisiana, and you had Texas.

The Upland South had a much different economy than the deep south and a much smaller slave population proportionately. You can still see the difference today. 

Mmm, I still think the south is the only area of the US that can be defined geographically. Those states who officially succeeded and formed the confederacy. 

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

South Carolina also part of Deep South in terms of the large number and economic importance of slaves.

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Mmm, I still think the south is the only area of the US that can be defined geographically. Those states who officially succeeded and formed the confederacy. 

Not trying to be argumentative, but in terms of defining groups of states, how about the original 13 colonies? How about the states that were formerly part of Mexico? States that were formed from the Louisiana Purchase?

Complicating the secession issue is that not all slave states seceded, and the states didn’t all secede at once. A group of them didn’t secede until well after the war was underway and Lincoln called for 3-year enlistments. 

How many Boise fans have said on this board when the subject came up that our country needs to keep significantly growing its population for economic reasons?

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is word salad.  The only Boise fan to make that argument is @Maji and he is a basically Bernie Sanders

Nah, I wouldn't say this statement represents my views: "We need to keep significantly growing our popularity for economic reasons." I do believe increased immigration would be beneficial though 

1 minute ago, Maji said:

Nah, I wouldn't say this statement represents my views: "We need to keep significantly growing our popularity for economic reasons." I do believe increased immigration would be beneficial though 

Yeh, I was hoping you would chime in.  The "We need MOAR MOAR MOAR people" argument is simply not one any conservative Boise fan has made on here, that I have ever seen.  You were just the closest. 

Love ya. 

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeh, I was hoping you would chime in.  The "We need MOAR MOAR MOAR people" argument is simply not one any conservative Boise fan has made on here, that I have ever seen.  You were just the closest. 

Love ya. 

Yeah, I haven't really seen any MWC Board BSU fans say that. I do believe one Libertarian BSU fan did, but I don't recall anyone else doing so

2 minutes ago, Maji said:

Yeah, I haven't really seen any MWC Board BSU fans say that. I do believe one Libertarian BSU fan did, but I don't recall anyone else doing so

@CV147.  He is a pimp.  But again, so far from the what the dude was describing politically...

Guy made a dumb post.

3 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Well.. Kentucky never seceded ... They are certainly the south

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

@CV147.  He is a pimp.  But again, so far from the what the dude was describing politically...

Guy made a dumb post.

Yeah that was me. 

I think we need more people. The ratio of worker to Social Security beneficiary has shrunk considerably, as has our birth rate.

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

Yeah that was me. 

I think we need more people. The ratio of worker to Social Security beneficiary has shrunk considerably, as has our birth rate.

Both parties contribute to the problem of not being able to not get immigration reform done, but considering your views I would expect you to have a big problem with the xenophobia so often present in GOP rhetoric. But, don’t really here much from you regarding that.