Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Check out this California "refugee" running for Boise city council.

1 minute ago, tailingpermit said:

Hopefully with a wetsuit, that water is cold as fck!

It's not that cold lol, warmer than the Middle Fork of the Boise during the same months by a good bit and I would stay in that water in shorts for a few hours at a time.  Granted I usually jump into one of the 5 hot springs on the river afterwards....

12 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

nm i googled

TIL marmots eat wires

They also make a sound like a distress whistle.  Couple years back a few of us were wrapping up a hike in the snowy elevations and kept hearing what we thought was a distress whistle, and were going to go looking for anyone injured, but we only had day gear, and it was getting dark.  When we got back to the trailhead, we were still the only cars there, and when we stopped at a ranger station they suggested that is what it was and youtube confirmed it.  If we had kept looking for folks, it would have been us whistling in the end.

Little +++++ers.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's not that cold lol, warmer than the Middle Fork of the Boise during the same months by a good bit and I would stay in that water in shorts for a few hours at a time.  Granted I usually jump into one of the 5 hot springs on the river afterwards....

I just remember my toes going numb while wet wading in August.  It’s fcking cold to me.

59 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The older homes come with space, quarter acre to half acre lots.Tthe newer ones have a back yard the size of a few parking spaces.

We certainly get all 4 seasons here.  Summer this year had like 20 days over 100 degrees.  Winters can get cold.  Spring and Autumn are my favorite.  

There are some rad mid-century houses in those older neighborhoods. Not really palm springsy but really cool in their own right.

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

There are some rad mid-century houses in those older neighborhoods. Not really palm springsy but really cool in their own right.

Hell yeah there are.  My aunt and uncle live in the neighborhood adjacent to mine, which is all 60's and 70's homes and their house is tits cool.  Full, wood bar in the basement, .75 acre lot.  Intercom system through the home.  Super neat home.

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hell yeah there are.  My Aunt and Uncle live in the neighborhood adjacent to mine, which is all 60's and 70's homes and their house is tits cool.  Full, wood bar in the basement, .75 acre lot.  Intercom system through the home.  Super neat home.

great.  now i'm aroused.

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

https://boisedev.com/news/2021/09/23/steve-madden-boise/

This guy, brand spanking new to Idaho from California, has the balls to run on a "people need to stop moving to Boise unless super rich" campaign...

I'm not sure where he's getting that the affordable housing program is aimed at attracting "extreme low income" to move to Boise rather than being aimed at "extreme low income" people already in Boise. I didn't see anything in the details of the program that would suggest that. 

Also, putting "people need to stop moving to Boise unless super rich" in quotes would suggest that those are his words, but I don't seen anything attributed to him that would suggest that any more than what he is implying the quote from the mayor is suggesting. I don't see anything wrong with him running for city council since he has lived there for 3 years. I think more people should strive to be actively involved in their community whether they have been there their entire life or they just moved there. I don't begrudge him that. 

3 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I'm not sure where he's getting that the affordable housing program is aimed at attracting "extreme low income" to move to Boise rather than being aimed at "extreme low income" people already in Boise. I didn't see anything in the details of the program that would suggest that. 

Also, putting "people need to stop moving to Boise unless super rich" in quotes would suggest that those are his words, but I don't seen anything attributed to him that would suggest that any more than what he is implying the quote from the mayor is suggesting. I don't see anything wrong with him running for city council since he has lived there for 3 years. I think more people should strive to be actively involved in their community whether they have been there their entire life or they just moved there. I don't begrudge him that. 

Yeah, I know how to use quotes, thanks.  His clearly stated position is he does not want people moving to Boise who would qualify for affordable housing, so is going to fight against affordable housing.  The guy is an idiot of the highest order.  

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, I know how to use quotes, thanks.  His clearly stated position is he does not want people moving to Boise who would qualify for affordable housing, so is going to fight against affordable housing.  The guy is an idiot of the highest order.  

I enjoy watching bootstrap politicians strive to eliminate proposals such as affordable housing, while also being absolutely against minimum wage increases.  It's like they don't want to solve problems other than telling people to live forever broke working 60 hours a week for that luxury.  If we want a robust economy, and a society that actually has the time to enjoy itself, we need to take care of our workforce and their needs.  But politicians make low-wage workers out like they are generational welfare recipients instead.  

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

nm i googled

TIL marmots eat wires

They eat both wires and hoses. Sequoia NP even has to have a disclaimer on its marmot page telling people the Park is not responsible for the marmot damage to a vehicle.

Rats chew on them also. There have been multiple lawsuits against auto manufacturers over it. Some people want rodent damage covered under the warranties.

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

My Idaho peeps, for the record, Boise is about the same size Vegas was when I was in junior high. Hope it tapers off for you guys. In thirty more years you guys might get the Raiders!

How many Boise fans have said on this board when the subject came up that our country needs to keep significantly growing its population for economic reasons?

I'll answer my own question: the majority who have weighed in. And I'll venture to guess the reason is they've heard as much on FoxNews or AON or whatever that woebegone network is and/or they've heard it in church as part of the rationale for opposing legalized abortion.

Because California has had too many people for several decades, it's no wonder many Californians have been moving out of state and they aren't going to go to the Deep South where the economy hasn't boomed since the Civil War and where the politics are generally so far right they'd pull their hair out just watching the news. Ergo, places like LV and Idaho are obvious destinations. LV will soon cease to be so because of inadequate water resources and intolerable heat so Idahoans who think they need more people are very likely to get exactly what they want and they're going to get it where the sun don't shine.

2 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Near the CA price range. Especial in Inland Empire Central Valley areas. I assume that price range comes with way more space in Boise. And with out the desert heat. (Although it was reported here that the climate change heat has reached the NW.)

Note to anyone thinking of moving TO California and thinking about the IE.

Even at its best, what is now called the Inland Empire was little more than a middle class bastion of modestly priced cracker box houses where you could raise a family in safe neighborhoods. With the possible exception of Rancho Cucamonga and areas immediately west of there, the IE is now a LOWER middle class bastion of modestly priced homes (more and more of which are condos) where you can raise a family in what are often UNsafe neighborhoods with gang problems and, in pockets, the kind of meth production and proliferation depicted in Breaking Bad. So if you've seen Fresno and think it's bad, try checking out Riverside and San Bernardino which, following "realignment" of March AFB in 1996, have suffered significantly.

19 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

How many Boise fans have said on this board when the subject came up that our country needs to keep significantly growing its population for economic reasons?

I'll answer my own question: the majority who have weighed in. And I'll venture to guess the reason is they've heard as much on FoxNews or AON or whatever that woebegone network is and/or they've heard it in church as part of the rationale for opposing legalized abortion.

Because California has had too many people for several decades, it's no wonder many Californians have been moving out of state and they aren't going to go to the Deep South where the economy hasn't boomed since the Civil War and where the politics are generally so far right they'd pull their hair out just watching the news. Ergo, places like LV and Idaho are obvious destinations. LV will soon cease to be so because of inadequate water resources and intolerable heat so Idahoans who think they need more people are very likely to get exactly what they want and they're going to get it where the sun don't shine.

This is word salad.  The only Boise fan to make that argument is @Maji and he is a basically Bernie Sanders.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Horrible.  In fact, Boise was just named the most dangerous city in the USA during rush hour traffic...

so its like seattle but with more housing issues?

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They also make a sound like a distress whistle.  Couple years back a few of us were wrapping up a hike in the snowy elevations and kept hearing what we thought was a distress whistle, and were going to go looking for anyone injured, but we only had day gear, and it was getting dark.  When we got back to the trailhead, we were still the only cars there, and when we stopped at a ranger station they suggested that is what it was and youtube confirmed it.  If we had kept looking for folks, it would have been us whistling in the end.

Little +++++ers.

whistle pigs

they also like to burrow into and destroy rockery retaining walls

they also... die of smoke inhalation pretty easily in rockery retaining wall burrows :whistle:

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I enjoy watching bootstrap politicians strive to eliminate proposals such as affordable housing, while also being absolutely against minimum wage increases.  It's like they don't want to solve problems other than telling people to live forever broke working 60 hours a week for that luxury.  If we want a robust economy, and a society that actually has the time to enjoy itself, we need to take care of our workforce and their needs.  But politicians make low-wage workers out like they are generational welfare recipients instead.  

It's wild because Idaho and WA/OR are getting divergently different politically but they are equally failing at the same challenge of having enough housing for their own economies. 

I am still blown away how shitty the WA gubernatorial candidates were. I don't get how Wyoming got more qualified administrators to run for 12 years straight on both sides of the aisle than white collar ass Washington. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I haven’t been to Boise since the mid-2000s. I remember flying in at the time and seeing a patchwork of small residential developments mixed in with the farm/range land surrounding the city. I remember thinking at the time that if that development pattern continued, it would eventually lead to a lot of sprawl and traffic. I’m curious as to whether this happened or if the more recent development clustered around the existing urban core? How is traffic nowadays?

Traffic isn’t as bad as it could be. There are times of day for I-84 and certain arterials that really suck.  Going north-south is problematic more w/fewer river crossings (like fewer everything) than optimal.  Work from home, tight labor for construction, online shopping/delivery, and dead former drivers all mitigating to some degree.  

There are a lot of good local spots all over.  I’m in the old town section of Meridian. Not much different except old downtown development than 1995 when we built. I can hit either on-ramps in 5mts., and except for the commute windows, be on the foothills trails in under 30 mts. or “shopping” across the Oregon border in 45. 

7 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I haven’t been to Boise since the mid-2000s. I remember flying in at the time and seeing a patchwork of small residential developments mixed in with the farm/range land surrounding the city. I remember thinking at the time that if that development pattern continued, it would eventually lead to a lot of sprawl and traffic. I’m curious as to whether this happened or if the more recent development clustered around the existing urban core? How is traffic nowadays?

It Sucks. We have a traffic infrastructure that would work well for what the Boise Metro was in 1998. 

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Okay I am going to pick at this a little bit. 

I don't recall ever when conservative or Religious voices broadly complained that declining, or stagnant population was a problem. 

The Sun Belt States have some of the best economies in the country and are growing rapidly. South Carolina North Carolina, Tennesse, Florida, Texas, Georgia all great economies. 

You don't know what the hell you are talking about. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Okay I am going to pick at this a little bit. 

I don't recall ever when conservative or Religious voices broadly complained that declining, or stagnant population was a problem. 

The Sun Belt States have some of the best economies in the country and are growing rapidly. South Carolina North Carolina, Tennesse, Florida, Texas, Georgia all great economies. 

You don't know what the hell you are talking about. 

I'd just like to point out that while North Carolina may be in the "south", but it sure as hell isn't the "deep south". Texas as a whole doesn't really count in that definition either. I believe the "deep south" is generally considered to comprise Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. 

8 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

It Sucks. We have a traffic infrastructure that would work well for what the Boise Metro was in 1998. 

Ok, you're right :).

I'm retired, my wife works 1.5m from home, and just avoiding the rush hours is easy.  I also don't go north-south much.  I'm usually headed east to Boise or west to Nampa. I do get caught up in the Nampa traffic sometimes when I take the dogs to Amity Park.  Kings Rd. in East Nampa is like 1966 with 65 years more of vehicles.  Plenty of old farm roads like that.  

2 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Ok, you're right :).

I'm retired, my wife works 1.5m from home, and just avoiding the rush hours is easy.  I also don't go north-south much.  I'm usually headed east to Boise or west to Nampa. I do get caught up in the Nampa traffic sometimes when I take the dogs to Amity Park.  Kings Rd. in East Nampa is like 1966 with 65 years more of vehicles.  Plenty of old farm roads like that.  

Canyon County is a disaster. The population has exploded over the last 50 years. They are just putting in new housing developments wherever there is bare land , without consideration of if  the local infrastructure can handle all the new traffic. Getting out of my neighborhood sometimes can be a painful experience.