Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Timing, and Order, of Conference Invites from AAC/MWC/Sunbelt: "It's a Matter of Weeks."

On 9/25/2021 at 1:26 PM, BacksThePack said:

I think the AAC should reassess and try to own the eastern seaboard after the ACC instead of expanding west. I want them to focus on consolidating the Mid Atlantic and get all the best of the Carolinas, VA, FL, GA, and maybe Marshall and Navy. Assuming Memphis and SMU bounce to the B12 here.

Buffalo, Army, Navy, Temple, Liberty, ODU, James Madison, Marshall

Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State, ECU, USF, FAU, FIU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern

The only way that happens is if all the western AAC schools bolt for another conference, and that's not appearing too likely as long as Tulane remains.

Temple and Navy will never ditch Tulane, and if Tulane stays, Tulsa and Wichita State stay.  They're not going to boot ECU.  So that's a rock solid core around which they can keep rebuilding, as needed.

6 hours ago, punchinello said:

The only way that happens is if all the western AAC schools bolt for another conference, and that's not appearing too likely as long as Tulane remains.

Temple and Navy will never ditch Tulane, and if Tulane stays, Tulsa and Wichita State stay.  They're not going to boot ECU.  So that's a rock solid core around which they can keep rebuilding, as needed.

Giving thumbs up to your sock is beyond weird..Just pick one and stick with it.  

6 hours ago, punchinello said:

Rock solid?

18 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Jesus. They're breeding.

Chris Vannini's piece in The Athletic sources someone in the MWC bringing up NDSU's name. Gets fans excited about the possibility. 

BTW it's also fun to hear all those UTEP fans chiming in too, huh? 

22 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Chris Vannini's piece in The Athletic sources someone in the MWC bringing up NDSU's name. Gets fans excited about the possibility. 

So somebody reads mwcboard.com....

Not that unusual.  Journalists reads online stuff, too.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

31 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

I think NDSU is part of the discussion in various conferences, including the one you are in now.

Here is the hurdle you are looking at with the MW.

The MW currently has 12 football members and is unlikely looking to go beyond that. 

If AFA and CSU do decide to leave, there has been public announcements that the conference will be fine at 10 FB schools.

For 10 years now the quasi official stance of the MW is expansion would be in Texas, should expansion actually happen.

Should SDSU and Boise get Big 12 invites, then the MW would still look to Texas.

If AFA and CSU depart the MST schools who might look favorably towards NDSU would be in the minority in the MW

I do not believe you would get a single vote from the 5 PST schools and Hawaii to add a small town, cold weather school that is far far away..

19 hours ago, Bizon said:

Out of all the Mountain West teams only Boise State has more interest on google trends across the country... 5-google-search-traffic.png.8a804e58e2fa68d752647d9ff1daa030.png

but bud you and your 11 mentions a day already come to mwcboard, what would we gain?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think NDSU is part of the discussion in various conferences, including the one you are in now.

The MW currently has 12 football members and is unlikely looking to go beyond that. 

If AFA and CSU do decide to leave, there has been public announcements that the conference will be fine at 10 FB schools.

For 10 years now the quasi official stance of the MW is expansion would be in Texas, should expansion actually happen.

Should SDSU and Boise get Big 12 invites, then the MW would still look to Texas.

If AFA and CSU depart the MST schools who might look favorably towards NDSU would be in the minority in the MW

I do not believe you would get a single vote from the 5 PST schools and Hawaii to add a small town, cold weather school that is far far away..

They may say that they will "be fine" with 10 schools, but I believe that was nothing more than false bravado.

As soon as a conference gets the news that it's losing teams, the rumors start to fly and panic sets in very quickly when a conference drops down to 10, as everyone saw with the Big 12.

Then, it hit the AAC, and everyone over there started freaking out until the AAC's commissioner Aresco announced 4 replacements will be named.

Prior to that, Aresco had maintained the line that "we're happy with 11 teams" and aren't looking to replace UConn.  Eventually, we learned they were trying to do so.

The era of the 10-member FBS conference are fading fast.  Those that remain will be like dinosaurs - - in danger of extinction.

3 minutes ago, punchinello said:

They may say that they will "be fine" with 10 schools, but I believe that was nothing more than false bravado.

As soon as a conference gets the news that it's losing teams, the rumors start to fly and panic sets in very quickly when a conference drops down to 10, as everyone saw with the Big 12.

Then, it hit the AAC, and everyone over there started freaking out until the AAC's commissioner Aresco announced 4 replacements will be named.

Prior to that, Aresco had maintained the line that "we're happy with 11 teams" and aren't looking to replace UConn.  Eventually, we learned they were trying to do so.

The era of the 10-member FBS conference are fading fast.  Those that remain will be like dinosaurs - - in danger of extinction.

We aren't the Big 12.  The MW originally had 8 members..

31 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Forgive me for not being convinced by you pointing to a 10 year old strategy when media has changed dramatically, with realignment, and changing markets, football team strengths.

Brand > Market size in todays world and that helps NDSU's case tremendously

Just now, tenbobnote said:

It would if you had a brand name.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

2 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Forgive me for not being convinced by you pointing to a 10 year old strategy when media has changed dramatically, with realignment, and changing markets, football team strengths.

It all comes down to votes my young Padawan.  I don't think there would enough to add your football..

Wow, I haven't been on this board in 5 years or so. But looks like things are still the same, ha! Talking expansion and CSU still sucks at football. 

It's really sad to see what has happened to College Sports and the MWC.  

To think... Utah's two biggest bowl wins over the past 20 years took place as members of the Mountain West Conference! OR TCU winning the Rose Bowl as a member of the Mountain West!  

Unfortunately, this is all about survival and CSU making the move to the AAC makes sense for a lot of reasons. 

Yes, CSU has sucked at football over the past 15 years. But still they are talked about as possible expansion candidate (Big 12, AAC and Pac 12). To me... CSU sucking at football and still being viewed as a value-add by the AAC speaks to the growth and investment at CSU. Look at the Colorado high school football recruits compared to 20 years ago, it's night and day. The university looks brand new compared to when I graduated (not that I helped the cause). Academics are solid. And the population boom over the past decade has been unreal.  IMO, it's only a matter of time before CSU finds the right football coach and we start winning again. Maybe we are a basketball school now? (kidding, although expectations are high this year).  Last thought, even with a bad football team and average basketball team we drive in the second most revenue in the MWC. Imagine if we could win more than 5-6 football games? 

Ultimately, this all sucks. The Mountain West Conference was awesome 15 years ago! But I don't think "winning" football games makes a school that more valuable. If that was the case Boise State would have joined the Pac-12 ten years ago. I thought this was an interesting link... Athletic Department Power Index: Mountain West Conference (athleticdirectoru.com)

It's only a matter of time....

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

but bud you and your 11 mentions a day already come to mwcboard, what would we gain?

Yeah, cause my mentions (which I had 4 total when you sent this) totally change google search results… good one! 

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Starting to think all of you Bison fans are the same person. There is no way there are this many NDSU fans wanting to be in a conference way out west when you have several right there next to you.

At least UTEP in the MWC makes sense. Plus there is history with several schools from the MWC who has been on a conference with them before.

I don’t think you understand how exciting it is to have competitive games more than a few times a year. Plus all of your cities are way cooler than where we currently get to travel to. NDSU at UNLV will easily have 10,000-20,000 NDSU fans 

AAC was always going to replace UConn, they just weren't in a hurry to do it but the were going to be replaced everyone knew that but they were always looking.

Colorado St has never been talked about as expansion candidates for any big conference. Petitioning to a conference is nowhere near the same as a conference coming to talk to you and P5 have not elicited CSU to join.  The only people that have tried to attach CSU as an expansion candidate to a P5 has been the talking heads who most don't know their heads from a hole in the ground.

Until we hear something still not believing CSU and AFA are leaving and truly I think something would have leaked out by now especially the universities themselves if they were leaving. But I like having CSU and AFA in MWC but thing is AAC only wants them for football and not the other sports from the sounds of it which adds more Cons to the move. 

2 hours ago, Bizon said:

I don’t think you understand how exciting it is to have competitive games more than a few times a year. Plus all of your cities are way cooler than where we currently get to travel to. NDSU at UNLV will easily have 10,000-20,000 NDSU fans 

I get what you're saying...it would be fun for NDSU fans to travel to LV, Reno, San Diego, Hawaii, etc.

But how ' fun ' would it be for fans of the current MW to travel to NDSU? 

Not going to generate alot of excitement on this board.

Not dogging NDSU's success , just merely pointing out the other side of the coin.

Edit: alot of us played Idaho ( love Idaho fans) in the Kibbie Dome ( hated it). The Fargo Dome is a non starter. 

Sorry. 

On 9/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

How about the MWC doesn’t change at all.  That’s the leading position right now. 

Seriously. Sometimes the best thing to do is do nothing. And in this case, it's keep kicking ass on the field and on the court and beating PAC 12 teams. Force our way into the National championship playoffs.