Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VandalPride97

Realignment Question - Poll

So going blind reading hundreds of pages of total speculation about putting together conferences with teams who don't have shit in common, I'm wondering about true, visceral opinions.

Do you guys really begin to give a shit about playing in conferences with far flung schools without any connection to your program? 

So I guess the question is, if you're CSU, SDSU or even BSU, don't you think it would be more engaging as fans to play peer schools like Wyoming, Nevada, Fresneck & Co. or are you legitimately hot and bothered at the thought of playing and having (probably losing) a facilities war with Iowa State, Baylor, Okie Lite and Kansas?  To me, the MWC is the place to be because the new B12 is not going to have a shot against New SEC and New B1G.  There's probably not going to be much more inclusiveness and the media deal isn't going to be a golden ticket to the big time.  Heck, Pac12 probably won't have enough gas in the tank to keep up (except for USC).  

SDSU alum here. I personally have no interest in any school or team east of the MWC footprint and even within it if they aren't in the PAC or MWC already.  That is my visceral reaction to the idea of adding any other schools. If my geography isn't too far off I believe Wyoming, CSU, and AF are the farthest east. So, let me clarify that is a firm "no" from me regarding UTEP, NMSU,  Montana schools. and schools in Idaho not named Boise.   My ideal conference would include SDSU, Fresno, USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona, UNLV, UNR, SJSU, Cal, Stanford. Since that is only 11 maybe drop SJSU and add Oregon & UW and call it done. 

2 hours ago, masterfrog said:

As a longtime TCU fan, I have loved all of the conference changes. It has given me a chance to attend games all over the country. I don’t need any kind of history with a school because I am there to root for my team, regardless of the opponent. 

However, even you would agree joining former SWC BU, UT, and Tech was nice for TCU, right?  And this weekend's Battle For The Iron Skillet is great because of the rivalry,  right?

And when Texas leaves and likely never plays TCU again out of a bowl game, it will kinda suck, agreed?  Especially given how TCU has dominated the series over the last decade. 

Having history matters, as well as regional ties.   It has been much better for TCU that it has been in the B12 for a decade rather than playing in the Big East/AAC, and not just for the money difference. 

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

Not sure how WYO, CSU, and AFA fans feel about being in the MWC these days but if it is the feeling of being on an island, I understand with CU being in the Pac-12.  Money from alumni is the reason why CU is in the Pac-12 and Northern Colorado is the same way with the Big Sky Conference.  CU & UNC had more success in their old conferences because they had schools east of the Rockies so it's understandable if AFA & CSU might be looking for a new conference home such as the AAC.  There are rumors of UNC going to the Summit to reunite with their former D2 NCC rivals where they won two D2 national championships so maybe there are indeed greener pastures in the east for AFA & CSU.

I decided to take the opportunity to follow FCS football this spring and I'm going full speed into FCS football especially the Big Sky, MVFC, and the new WAC.  The WAC is going to be an interesting case to watch since the non-Texas schools in that conference will have their own division for all sports while the Texas schools (they plan to add one more Texas school eventually) will have their own.  Utah Tech (Dixie State's new name) and Southern Utah will join the Texas WAC schools for football under the WAC banner.

What I think needs to happen is that football is separate from every other sport and has their own conferences.  The MVFC is a good example of this and I remember the old Big East was set up like that and it was a good conference.

I’m generally happy with the MW. We aren’t going anywhere either and I’d hate playing BIgXII Teams, but wouldn’t mind the money being in the conference would provide. 
My ideal conference,

UNM, wouldn’t make sense without us.

NMSUx - we need to beat someone in conference. Longest history 

WYO - Funnelcakes and WYO fans are the coolest, 2nd longest history 

AFA - mad respect for the cadets, never give up, never surrender

U  of Arizona - 3rd or 4th longest history, I want the Kit Karson rifle back in play 

UNLV - Great roadtrip.made this more than all other teams combined, ‘cept NMSUx

UTEP - first game I saw in the Pit. We should live and die together.

TX Tech - Top 5 or 6/7 history in football.  My best childhood friend lives there has season tickets. This would be too fun. 
And to get to 9

Utah - so many memories would be great to rekindle. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

This was as close to a dream conference as you could get.  Only way to make it better would have been to add UCSD, Hawaii and Nevada.

s-l400.jpg.764c3bc9260987bdb22144c97f4cdb1f.jpg

From an SJSU fans standpoint, if we can’t be in the Pac12, I’m totally cool with the western division of SJSU, Nevada, Fresno State, UNLV, SDSU, and Hawaii.  These are all longtime rivals for us.  You can throw the Utags in with that group also. 

Whats not to like about Boise State, Wyoming, CSU, AFA, and New Mexico?  Great schools that SJSU also has history with. I love the Rocky Mountain states and enjoy road tripping there. I’ll be in Ft Collins in a couple weeks for the SJSU @ CSU game.  Can’t wait.  After that I’ll been in Vegas and then in Reno for those away games

This is a great western conference and I’d like to see it stay as is.  So much potential, we just need to market ourselves better.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

As a CSU alum and football season ticket holder, my dream scenario is the MWC holding together for the long haul (with Gonzaga added), reaching its full potential in football and rivaling the PAC like it did at times with BYU, TCU, and Utah in the conference, and establishing itself as a major force in basketball. I love that this is a western-based conference with real history and rivalries. I'd rather CSU thrive in a MWC with multiple top 25 programs a 1000x over going on a run and ending up in a mutant Big 12 or, even worse, an AAC with no rivals or history.

Not to get too sentimental but the really sad part is that this conference had all the ingredients to be a true western power house. When Utah, BYU, and TCU were are still here and with the addition of a prime Boise State this conference was on the cusp of forcing an auto bid into the old BCS (knocking out the ESPN darling BIG EAST). The cynical side of me says that the politics of CFB, TV eyeballs and traditional power brokers were never going to let that happen, thus the poaching and disintegration of the conference before Boise could get here. I'm not blaming those schools for improving their situations but man it would have been nice to see how far we could get.  

Proximity, tradition, and shared history all play a part.  If I were to construct a conference for BYU from scratch with no concerns about money, playoff access, etc., then it would probably include at least the following:

Stanford, USC, UCLA, Washington (only other teams west of the Rockies with a football national championship)

Utah, Utah State, Boise State

Sadly the current CSU leadership is east coast based with a touch of snobbery. They could care less what the fans want. I have met the pronoun president along with the gender nuetral ad.  They consider all the schools in the MW beneath them except SDSU. They liked when their entourage visited the stadium.

I will miss the MW, its teams and all the fans

1 hour ago, Castle Ram said:

Sadly the current CSU leadership is east coast based with a touch of snobbery. They could care less what the fans want. I have met the pronoun president along with the gender nuetral ad.  They consider all the schools in the MW beneath them except SDSU. They liked when their entourage visited the stadium.

I will miss the MW, its teams and all the fans

You really think they’ll like being in the Big Sky? 

kat.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Aka: ESPN has ruined a lot. 

They did but overall money has ruined it, ESPN, CBS, FOX all of them. Was watching a game a few nights ago on You Tube that aired on Sports Channel , I miss those regional stations which got put to pasture

On 9/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, Ibanez said:

I want Boise State in the PAC-12 but it won't happen unless a bunch of teams go somewhere else. But then it wouldn't be the PAC-12. Between the MWC and the Big 12 is rather be in the MWC but the MWC gets no respect and has shit bowl games. So I'm not happy regardless.

My dream conference is : Boise State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Utah State, BYU, Nevada, Fresno State, Wyoming, and Colorado. PAC-12 and MWC schools. and it will never happen. But aside from Colorado, we do play these schools.

I have more interest in those schools than B12 teams. But the bowls will be nice and basketball will be solid. Plus I live in Kansas so getting BYU in the B12 will be great for travel.

The Masters 5k road race All American.