Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Going to the PAC12!

And yet during this past decade our facilities have been upgraded to some of the best in the country, opened a Law and Medical School, earned R1 status for research, recently changed our president and soon the AD. Another $28 million a year certainly couldn’t improve anything. Moves made over the last decade have been calculated to position the university to qualify for P5 inclusion.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence?

4 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Tv market and population obsessed people crack me up.  If nobody watches your games, nobody goes to your games then having a big market is like having a 14 inch penis but being a virgin. Not much point

When they had Robinson as the HC and basketball was good UNLV had a lot going for them. I’ve always though UNLV had a lot of potential. But I’ve always thought New Mexico had a lot of potential as well. They used to pack in 18k for basketball games just like UNLV basketball did. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Tv market and population obsessed people crack me up.  If nobody watches your games, nobody goes to your games then having a big market is like having a 14 inch penis but being a virgin. Not much point

Jonah Falcon has a 14 inch penis.  That would be a curse.

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

And yet during this past decade our facilities have been upgraded to some of the best in the country, opened a Law and Medical School, earned R1 status for research, recently changed our president and soon the AD. Another $28 million a year certainly couldn’t improve anything. Moves made over the last decade have been calculated to position the university to qualify for P5 inclusion.

Maybe it’s too late? I still haven’t seen anyone answering my question. Which is, what P5 is going to see monetary gains by adding UNLV? 

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Just Win Baby

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The PAC is truly terrible at football.  I got tricked after week one.  It’s seriously like watching the MAC.  

Ohio State begs to differ with you.

Americans Mayor

On 9/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, quickdraw said:

There it is. As reputable as any other source that being quoted and passed around. Quietly and in the background like true professionals. My sources say SDSU is a quiet partner in the process as well

https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/unlv-potential-pac-12-expansion-candidate/

Why the MWC is about as good 

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The idea that money is going to solve your football problems just doesn’t usually pan out. It’s just like a business asking for a big business loan to get competitive. If your management is dysfunctional, a bank will discover that and refuse the loan. Uncle Rico’s All Star Quarterback Academy isn’t going to become a success just because he wins the lottery (Napoleon Dynamite All Star of a Reference).

A P5 conference brings big money, but it also brings a brutal schedule that will require a good starting line up and a lot of depth just to be a bit competitive. UNLV having success in a P5 will require converting a city of mostly 2 million out of state transplants into making them their #2 or #3 favorite college team. That requires consistent success that hasn’t even occurred playing FCS teams over the years.

Why can’t Hauck create a competitive UNLV FBS product when he can produce a product much better than UNLV’s with less money and resources? It’s because it’s administrations have always been dysfunctional and sabotage their chance for success.  

A good AD isn’t enough. Your latest was supposed to be good, but she never did anything to improve athletics with the limited power she had, and she jetted to another job that was a promotion. Her new employer realized that UNLV was an impossible job and didn’t hold it against her.

See below.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

When Snyder was the interim president he was told 3 things.

1. Improve the academics. The big push was made for the medical school, etc, now tier 1.

2. Improve the stadium. Well, that's done.

3. Improve the football program. Our recent former AD had the chance to do that, but couldn't see past the end of her nose. She was on her way out before she even got here. And her most important hire is now 0-10. Brilliant. I'm so glad she's gone. She will join Livengood and TKM as the worst ADs ever.

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Yeah I’m sure all these moves were all calculated just to help UNLV athletics join the p5 🙄.

Law schools, medical schools, and research activity are great additions to football programs.

2 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah I’m sure all these moves were all calculated just to help UNLV athletics join the p5 🙄.

Law schools, medical schools, and research activity are great additions to football programs.

that's pretty shortsighted, bigd. But there will always be people who don't realize how being successful in certain sports can not only grow a university, but can also make them very wealthy, which makes all the other departments of that university very wealthy. Unfortunately UNLV's admin has had WAY too many of those people, even while being the #1 example of that. Having a good football program, or basketball, will never hurt the law schools or medical schools of that university. But NOT having good football or basketball programs can certainly take money away from those departments. if you're going to have sports you really need to do it right, and not half ass it by going for the cheap coach.

P5 status would certainly bring in more money for the university overall, no? Including donations because of better sports programs.

35 minutes ago, bigd said:

No, but that and a growing tv market make you attractive to a P5 Conference.

Just ask Maryland and Rutgers.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

See below.

When Snyder was the interim president he was told 3 things.

1. Improve the academics. The big push was made for the medical school, etc, now tier 1.

2. Improve the stadium. Well, that's done.

3. Improve the football program. Our recent former AD had the chance to do that, but couldn't see past the end of her nose. She was on her way out before she even got here. And her most important hire is now 0-10. Brilliant. I'm so glad she's gone. She will join Livengood and TKM as the worst ADs ever.

#3 is the nearly impossible one. Why hasn’t UNLV even had a rare year where everything came together? That rare incredible event just means a shitty bowl game. Forget winning a division, winning a conference championship, getting ranked, a good bowl game. 

Since I’ve moved back to Vegas, I haven’t seen a single UNLV license plate. The only custom plates are Raiders or Knights. As MLB and NBA come to town, that’s more money and time UNLV has to ask from its locals to send their way. Right now, just 2 pro sports are eclipsing UNLV, and with 2 more of the bigs coming, it’s going to be brutal. Vegas is a unique city that draws a lot of transplants. It’s not a San Diego. The transplant issue is by far the biggest problem unique to Vegas. 

Let’s say they do end up in a P5. UNLV home games will have just as many local opponent fans if not more than UNLV. College football is about winning. Being a decently better football team than now, but still only going 3-9 as a P5 won’t win over any transplants, nor will it give you much more in attendance. In fact the attendance gains will be opponent fans which takes away from being a home game and home advantage. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Tv market talk is overrated. It’s about how much money you can add to the pot for the conference. Nobody in this thread has said how much money UNLV can bring the PAC12. 

The PAC12 already has ties to Vegas and it may not need UNLV at all. Oklahoma State/Kansas etc would easily bring in major dollars. UNLV I’m not sure. 

5 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Tv market talk is overrated. It’s about how much money you can add to the pot for the conference. Nobody in this thread has said how much money UNLV can bring the PAC12. 

The PAC12 already has ties to Vegas and it may not need UNLV at all. Oklahoma State/Kansas etc would easily bring in major dollars. UNLV I’m not sure. 

I agree with your skepticism from the conference perspective. I also have misgivings from a school perspective. I understand that the goal of most G5 schools is a Power 5 conference affiliation but aside from perceived prestige, what does that really get you especially for a school with limited athletic success? Take for example, U of Utah, a school with a much stronger athletic heritage in the last 30 years. According to an internal study, the fooball program had increased visitor attendance of approximately 700 per game with economic benefits of $500k for the State based on spending of $300 dollars per visitor. I would argue that those visitors would come to Vegas anyway and spend much more going to a Knights or Raiders game. Will you reap the benefits of a P5 conference or will you have less stability in the PAC 12 with major machinations with possible USC/Oregon/Stanford looking at the B10. What are the consequences of being a bottom feeder in a bigger pond?

UNLV already has the nicest facilities, richest donors, most dynamic (and vulnerable) economy as well as the most fertile recruiting base in the West outside of SoCal and yet zilch results. Will UNLV keep some of those recruits with a PAC 12 invitation or will they just still go to USC or Oregon. I doubt any of the few 4 star recruits that Reno produces would stay home with a Pac12 invitation.  Sure you're getting 32 million from the current media deal. Using Utah for an example again, UNLV would have to triple it's football budget to $30 million from 10 million. Utah averages 47k per game (45+k prior to Pac invitation) with a $33 million surplus, UNLV 17k breaks even.  Utah needs $10 million from student fees and direct institutional payments to stay in the black. Bigger numbers with bigger risks. Anyway, good luck with that. I'll root for the rebels if you make it.

10 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Despite their lack of athletic success, adding Rutgers and Maryland definitely paid financial dividends for the Big Ten.  The year prior to their arrival, school pay outs were $26 million.  As of 2020 pay outs increased to $54 million.  Clearly adding them, leveraging the 2 schools to get access to their TV markets for both the Big 10 network and other TV distribution, was a wise decision.

In general I agree with Rosegreen.  The Pac 12 doesn’t need UNLV to be able to infiltrate Las Vegas the way the Big 10 needed Maryland and Rutgers to access the DC and NY metro markets.  The Pac 12 network has been available in Vegas for years now, they’ve held their conference basketball tournament in Vegas for years now and now their football title game is in Vegas.  They don’t need UNLV to be able to open doors for them in the City.

Said for years, I think UNLV gets picked up as table scraps in conference realignment due to the TV market which would help a league negotiate a better national TV deal.  At this time though hard to believe they would be near the top of anyone’s list given some other options.

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

that's pretty shortsighted, bigd. But there will always be people who don't realize how being successful in certain sports can not only grow a university, but can also make them very wealthy, which makes all the other departments of that university very wealthy. Unfortunately UNLV's admin has had WAY too many of those people, even while being the #1 example of that. Having a good football program, or basketball, will never hurt the law schools or medical schools of that university. But NOT having good football or basketball programs can certainly take money away from those departments. if you're going to have sports you really need to do it right, and not half ass it by going for the cheap coach.

P5 status would certainly bring in more money for the university overall, no? Including donations because of better sports programs.

The Flutie Effect is a myth.  It results in a temporary increase in the number (but not the quality) of applications received and in donations specifically to the athletic department.  It doesn't do a damned thing to drive the academic side of the university by the metrics that most use to define quality: endowment, faculty quality, research funding and selectivity.

Just look at Alabama, which just clocked in at 148th in the USNWR rankings or Oklahoma at 127.  They've been Flutie Effecting for decades, yet both are still academic bottom feeders.  Schools that do well at academics and academic fundraising do so because they (and in the case of public schools their states) make the commitment and devote the resources to do so, not because some mythical Flutie Effect is going indirectly move their academic standing forward.

Run down these lists There is no correlation between how well a school (public or private) does and how good it is at big time sports.

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

Despite their lack of athletic success, adding Rutgers and Maryland definitely paid financial dividends for the Big Ten.  The year prior to their arrival, school pay outs were $26 million.  As of 2020 pay outs increased to $54 million.  Clearly adding them, leveraging the 2 schools to get access to their TV markets for both the Big 10 network and other TV distribution, was a wise decision.

In general I agree with Rosegreen.  The Pac 12 doesn’t need UNLV to be able to infiltrate Las Vegas the way the Big 10 needed Maryland and Rutgers to access the DC and NY metro markets.  The Pac 12 network has been available in Vegas for years now, they’ve held their conference basketball tournament in Vegas for years now and now their football title game is in Vegas.  They don’t need UNLV to be able to open doors for them in the City.

Said for years, I think UNLV gets picked up as table scraps in conference realignment due to the TV market which would help a league negotiate a better national TV deal.  At this time though hard to believe they would be near the top of anyone’s list given some other options.

You guys are right.  The P12 doesn't need the Las Vegas market.  They already have it.  They already play games here in both FB & BB.  This was the huge mistake that was made as soon as we let the P12 play their conf tourney here.  We should have blockaded any P12 access to play games in Vegas until they added UNLV.  They want to play here, then put us in the conference.  Instead we got sold out by the strip venues with no pressure at all from ADs to keep this from happening.