Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Debt ceiling

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

@thelawlorfaithful one honest question.

Is it in the best interest of the constituents of GOP congresspersons if we default on the debt, in exchange for increasing the electoral chances of the 2022 midterms for the party?

Yeah. If their constituents wanted them to go along with every dumb idea the Democrats have, they would have elected Democrats. They’re not gonna change their mind now after a year of screw you we don’t need you, because the Democrat fringe is holding the one single instance of bipartisan legislation hostage. That’s the beauty of democracy.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

56 minutes ago, Maji said:

Sorry, but who cares? This is far more important than your little game. Does Mitch McConnell need a statue in exchange for doing the bare minimum and averting a catastrophe?

Also, to reiterate: The Dems should do this on their own. If it's their only option, they'd be ghouls not to

Hey, at least we were getting at the same point :)

Agreed. Leave the GOP out of this whole thing. Shouldn’t take hostages you don’t want to be blamed for shooting. Scrap the BBB bill and there’d be 60 votes tomorrow.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

it always falls on them

Much as I’d like to agree with you in a moral sense, it never falls on the politicians. Only the ballot box falls on them.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

No. I said something based on what I had read over the last 10-15 years. I also admitted that I was wrong. Meanwhile, you decided to get nasty about it, because that's your MO. I really don't care. What you care about is politics, I care about people not getting fvcked over because of politics... which is what it going to happen if the debt ceiling doesn't get raised. Your GQP is playing with people's lives.... which I mean, that's what they've been doing through the pandemic, so I'm not super surprised. 

I told you the truth. Nothing more than that. Apparently you should have been reading me the last 10-15 years, nastiness aside. 

Some truth here. Right or wrong 90% of voters don’t give a shit about the debt ceiling because it has never effected them personally. 

You guys are all political junkies. So yes you care.

This whole battle has little political impact on the next election. Housing, cost of gas and inflation does and once again right or wrong the Democrats will take all the blame because you are in power. If Biden and the Democrats don’t fix it they will lose the senate and 50 seats instead of 20 in the house. You lost the house and there isn’t much you can do about it.  You can still save the senate and do some damage control in the house. If I’m the Republicans I’m not going to want to fix anything. Let the Democrats and Biden continue this train wreck. Most left wing political pundits know 2022 is not going to be pretty for the Democratic Party.

At some point Demographics might change elections and how they historically go. But this country is evenly split now. Minnesota continues to move towards the right and Hispanics are moving more towards the right. Arizona has moved left but I think you will see a major swing right in the mid term. The battle ground states of Ohio and Florida are nearly red states again. The voter ID laws are  going to reduce the Jim Crow voter tactics of the left. The rounding up and busing, intimating voters, unsolicited absentee ballots. 

The Republicans are feeling pretty good right now. I think the left if they are honest know the window of opportunity has probably closed until 2024. The moderate left are now in fright mode hoping they are one of the few who survive 2022. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's not just the majority party that need them, though.  It is their constituents.  Defaulting would be a disaster.

If the debt ceiling is reached the government still has billions coming in daily from multiple sources. Gas taxes, payroll taxes, income taxes, tarrifs , the list goes on and on. We could easily pay our debt obligations and avoid default. I’m not saying we shouldn’t raise the debt ceiling, but I am saying maxing it out wouldn’t be the catastrophe you think it would be . 

10 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

If the debt ceiling is reached the government still has billions coming in daily from multiple sources. Gas taxes, payroll taxes, income taxes, tarrifs , the list goes on and on. We could easily pay our debt obligations and avoid default. I’m not saying we shouldn’t raise the debt ceiling, but I am saying maxing it out wouldn’t be the catastrophe you think it would be . 

Yeh. For awhile especially w/payroll and income w/h and the flow of quarterly estimates.  The length of that awhile isn’t that lengthy and it depends on mitigations that have limited effects on outflows.  I’ve got a fair swath of cash on the sidelines so I’d take a 20% panic market slide.  

26 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Not for very long iirc, and even in the optimistic scenario of avoiding default, it would still be incredibly damaging. At the very least, it puts views of our safety and stability in question, which could have huge economic repercussions. The potential downsides range from very bad to catastrophically bad.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

WTF am I missing? The Dems control the House, the Senate, and the presidency and they want to blame Republicans because they can’t raise the debt limit? GTFOH

I guess that shouldn’t surprise me. Every time they phuck up they blame it on Republicans

Exactly!  Time to scrap the filibuster and they can raise it alone!

The filibuster goes down before we default.   Just need conjobs to play their role to make Manchin and Sinema look like fools.

Posted Image

9 hours ago, robe said:

Some truth here. Right or wrong 90% of voters don’t give a shit about the debt ceiling because it has never effected them personally. 

This whole battle has little political impact on the next election. Housing, cost of gas and inflation does and once again right or wrong the Democrats will take all the blame because you are in power. If Biden and the Democrats don’t fix it they will lose the senate and 50 seats instead of 20 in the house. You lost the house and there isn’t much you can do about it.  You can still save the senate and do some damage control in the house. If I’m the Republicans I’m not going to want to fix anything. Let the Democrats and Biden continue this train wreck. Most left wing political pundits know 2022 is not going to be pretty for the Democratic Party.

At some point Demographics might change elections and how they historically go. But this country is evenly split now. Minnesota continues to move towards the right and Hispanics are moving more towards the right. Arizona has moved left but I think you will see a major swing right in the mid term. The battle ground states of Ohio and Florida are nearly red states again. The voter ID laws are  going to reduce the Jim Crow voter tactics of the left. The rounding up and busing, intimating voters, unsolicited absentee ballots. 

The Republicans are feeling pretty good right now. I think the left if they are honest know the window of opportunity has probably closed until 2024. The moderate left are now in fright mode hoping they are one of the few who survive 2022. 

Yes,  it is just a way for McConnell to chew up time.   Best to ignore him until the last possible minute and make his corporate owners yank his leash and make him heel.

Posted Image

57 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Exactly!  Time to scrap the filibuster and they can raise it alone!

The filibuster goes down before we default.   Just need conjobs to play their role to make Manchin and Sinema look like fools.

Filibuster really has nothing to do with this, at all.

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Filibuster really has nothing to do with this, at all.

Yes, they can filibuster the clean debt ceiling raise.   We have to get McConnells permission not to default. 

Good thing the filibuster is in place.   It forces everything to be so moderate..lol

Posted Image

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We’re not under the tyranny of anyone here. Choices have been made to get to this point. The Democrats can raise the limit, get their ungodly amount of spending, and pretend like it’s the New Deal all over again. They’ve just chosen not to. Don’t blame the people in the backseat when car is on fire wrapped around a telephone pole.

Raising the debt ceiling isn’t about new spending. It’s about funding spending that has already been approved by Congress, including the GOP. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 hours ago, robe said:

They will care when the global economy goes into chaos because the United States could no longer pay its bills. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Yes, they can filibuster the clean debt ceiling raise.   We have to get McConnells permission not to default. 

Good thing the filibuster is in place.   It forces everything to be so moderate..lol

No, reconciliation.  That simple.  Scrap the 3.5 trillion wish list "infrastructure" lmao idea and you get the votes.  Seems simple.  Time to start working across the isle and get the votes!!!  Scrap Bernies idiotic draft and start over.  Keep it under a trillion.  K thx bi