Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

Nevada Wolf Pack

15 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

Rumored headed to the Big Sky, along with San Jose!
Expected to have almost the highest paid coach in the league, behind San Jose coach! Many banners to be delivered!  Go Pack

unlv also in the hunt

Arroyo makes $1.5M

Brennan is around $900k, maybe above $1M now?

Norvell is at around $650k

Petrino makes about $450k at Idaho (highest paid Big Sky Coach).

Hauck makes about $350k at Montana.

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Arroyo makes $1.5M

Nevada is getting a steal with Norvell.  UNLV is not getting any value out of Arroy so far.

18 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

UNLV is not getting any value out of Arroy so far.

Would cost them about $4 million to fire him.  But if you consider how much they are losing in ticket sale potential ($500k+ per game) it might be worth it to cut their losses early.  But could anyone win in Vegas?

43 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Would cost them about $4 million to fire him.  But if you consider how much they are losing in ticket sale potential ($500k+ per game) it might be worth it to cut their losses early.  But could anyone win in Vegas?

No.

5 hours ago, Nevada6077 said:

Rumored headed to the Big Sky, along with San Jose!
Expected to have almost the highest paid coach in the league, behind San Jose coach! Many banners to be delivered!  Go Pack

unlv also in the hunt

First you broke the news that we were pac 12 bound along with UNLV. Now we’re going to the Big Sky?

Someone needs to get back on their meds...

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Dude its way to early for UNLV, you need coaches time to get their systems and their players into the situation. Unless stuff goes terribly bad, I have always said you need to give them 3 years or so to settle in

Personally, I believe he requires at least a decade-maybe two!

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Dude its way to early for UNLV, you need coaches time to get their systems and their players into the situation. Unless stuff goes terribly bad, I have always said you need to give them 3 years or so to settle in

I agree. He’s been tearing it up in recruiting. Every time a new coach comes in to salvage a program, they always look miserable in the W L column the first year, then get close to .400 to .500 the second year. 

This whole thing about giving a coach 5 years to have any success is total bullshit in 2021. You better be improving every year and be bowling by year 3 or you don’t belong in FBS as a coach. 

Norvell wants a P5 gig so bad, it’s driving him crazy. The way his brother is doing at Florida St., maybe we swap coaches at the end of the year if we do well. We’re not beating Fresno this year unless they have a WTF game. Boise should be a close game.

We’ve stepped up for basketball salaries, we need to do the same with football. The classic Knuth contract based hugely bonuses on success is the only way to go. It also instantly weeds out any people looking to cruise. 

kat.jpg

24 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

But how do we know that, we haven't had a real coach for 20 years...

I'd like to see what would happen now with a coach that had actually coached before, (not FCS). What a concept.

Jokes aside, It just seems no matter what UNLV tries they are doomed. Over the last 40 years they’ve tried the aging legendary coach, poaching a rival’s head coach, assistants from high-profile programs, successful FCS head coaches, and even a high school coach. Outside of an outlier year here and there, it’s the same result coach after coach. Whatever their issues, clearly it’s not just coaching. I don’t know what would work. An guy like Nick Saban or urban Meyer could turn that thing around but those guys are really hard to find.

42 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Jokes aside, It just seems no matter what UNLV tries they are doomed. Over the last 40 years they’ve tried the aging legendary coach, poaching a rival’s head coach, assistants from high-profile programs, successful FCS head coaches, and even a high school coach. Outside of an outlier year here and there, it’s the same result coach after coach. Whatever their issues, clearly it’s not just coaching. I don’t know what would work. An guy like Nick Saban or urban Meyer could turn that thing around but those guys are really hard to find.

The legendary aging coach was over 20 years ago. I'm not even asking for a legend, just a real coach who knows what they're doing and can bring some excitement in. We have a much different situation now than we did 20 years ago, with the facilities UNLV has now, recruiting would be 10x easier if you can give a kid a reason to come. 0-10 isn't going to do it.

Just hire a dang coach, lol. Not some experiment.

47 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

UNLV has: Facilities, Recruiting, and Money. There's no more excuses anymore. The missing component is  just competent coaching. If they can pay Arroyo $1.5 million, up it to $2 mill and find a guy that's won on the D1 level and hire him. 

If UNLVFB's only problem in 2021 was we sucked, that wouldn't even be so bad as we're just in Year 2 of a rebuild and Year 1 didn't even count with the lack of a regular Spring Training, Summer Conditioning, and Training Camp coupled with only playing 6 games....what's concerning is Arroyo's nonsensical decision making: Naming Justin Rogers the starting QB over Brumfield,  cycling QBs on 2nd down and 3rd down making it impossible for them to get in any rhythm, moronic clock management, and his offensive playcalling are all HUGE red flags that this guy is in-over-his-head. Even worse, he's arrogant and dismissive about the problems we're having as well. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I agree. He’s been tearing it up in recruiting. Every time a new coach comes in to salvage a program, they always look miserable in the W L column the first year, then get close to .400 to .500 the second year. 

This whole thing about giving a coach 5 years to have any success is total bullshit in 2021. You better be improving every year and be bowling by year 3 or you don’t belong in FBS as a coach. 

Norvell wants a P5 gig so bad, it’s driving him crazy. The way his brother is doing at Florida St., maybe we swap coaches at the end of the year if we do well. We’re not beating Fresno this year unless they have a WTF game. Boise should be a close game.

We’ve stepped up for basketball salaries, we need to do the same with football. The classic Knuth contract based hugely bonuses on success is the only way to go. It also instantly weeds out any people looking to cruise. 

For me it has always been 3-4 years to give the coach time to turnaround a program, if a program that has been garbage for a long period maybe a little more time to get the kinks out, but by the end of that period you should be able to see what kind of coach you have. With Norvell he wants one but really hasn't shown anything to show he deserves one and this is the season for him to do it as he loses I think half the team for next season.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Arroyo makes $1.5M

Brennan is making well north of a million these days. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Based on what we’ve been through at UNM. By the end of the nameless one’s first 1-11 season, it was obvious he wasn’t going to cut it, the team was worse in every way by the end of the first season. Same with Noodles, end of the first season, Coach Fish totally exposed him with a 1-3-1 zone. Team wasn’t getting better. 
The coach who followed Noodles, can’t remember his name, was an anomaly, but he was picking up after noodles, just liked Davie, couldn’t help but improve. 
my model is if a team gets better coach is competent. Not better, get out

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

14 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

The legendary aging coach was over 20 years ago. I'm not even asking for a legend, just a real coach who knows what they're doing and can bring some excitement in. We have a much different situation now than we did 20 years ago, with the facilities UNLV has now, recruiting would be 10x easier if you can give a kid a reason to come. 0-10 isn't going to do it.

Just hire a dang coach, lol. Not some experiment.

I think it's easier said than done. Facilities are great, but any coach with options has to UNLV's history and at least wonders if it's even possible to win there. Until something changes, I don't think it's seen as a good job. And finding a real difference maker that can reverse decades of history is hard under any circumstances. 

13 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV has: Facilities, Recruiting, and Money. There's no more excuses anymore. The missing component is  just competent coaching. If they can pay Arroyo $1.5 million, up it to $2 mill and find a guy that's won on the D1 level and hire him. 

If UNLVFB's only problem in 2021 was we sucked, that wouldn't even be so bad as we're just in Year 2 of a rebuild and Year 1 didn't even count with the lack of a regular Spring Training, Summer Conditioning, and Training Camp coupled with only playing 6 games....what's concerning is Arroyo's nonsensical decision making: Naming Justin Rogers the starting QB over Brumfield,  cycling QBs on 2nd down and 3rd down making it impossible for them to get in any rhythm, moronic clock management, and his offensive playcalling are all HUGE red flags that this guy is in-over-his-head. Even worse, he's arrogant and dismissive about the problems we're having as well. 

I don't follow UNLV's coaching decisions that closely, but I will fully accept your criticisms as truth. I know here Arroyo was not highly regarded by Ducks fans, so there is a history. But you have to ask yourself just why UNLV is forced to overpay for a guy that may have been fired from Oregon. Could be inept leadership. Could be that up-and-coming coaches are at least wary of UNLV's history as a coaching graveyard. Or some combination. I think it will take a special coach to reverse 40 years of losing, even with good facilities.