Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Gabby Petito

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

or the Latina woman from Texas……

Vanessa Guillen dominated news coverage for a while.

Etika (black youtuber) also received national attention.

It's more about popularity and the story being unique that garners headlines. Gabby had thousands of followers on social media which is why this became a story.  If the two were pock-marked meth addicts I doubt it gets more than local coverage.

Even missing white women who don't fit the prototype (read: young, white, "innocent") are pushed aside. 

Poor white women, white women who are sex workers/drug addicts, etc. are barely given any coverage compared to the Pettitos of the world.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

I like capitalism and think the internet blames it for "life things".

But... the reason for this one is capitalism. White girl in peril sells more. It's probably even a self-perpetuating cycle at this point rather than solely consumer driven. 

Well, you also could argue it's rooted in class guilt. The entire "true crime" cottage industry is driven by suburban paranoia.

And I like some true crime stuff. But most people into it are literally the least likely people to be murdered in human history excising their stress about the unpredictability of life within their constructed bubbles of wealth and security.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

The Patty Hearst saga was a story made in heaven for the media. Kidnapped white girl from the wealthy Hearst empire family turned criminal by the SLA. And drops her nerd boyfriend like a hot potato after living the high life with the SLA. How much better can it get for the media. 

HMHB you weren’t around for that one, even Hollywood couldn’t come up with a better script. 

7 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Take nothing away from a murdered kid....but there are over 700 missing indigenous females just in Wyoming.   They do not get press...not even local.

This shows how depraved your media has become.   These are the same twisted people you worship. 

You trust these people to give you any truth?

it is capitalism.  Cover what generates the $$

btw several missing tribal women Montana generated quite a bit of  local coverage

2 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

Well, you also could argue it's rooted in class guilt. The entire "true crime" cottage industry is driven by suburban paranoia.

And I like some true crime stuff. But most people into it are literally the least likely people to be murdered in human history excising their stress about the unpredictability of life within their constructed bubbles of wealth and security.

Speak for yourself!  My wife threatens to murder me every time I watch the rockies...  the struggle is real...

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Beat me to it. Hr, do you need someone to talk to?

I've taken the dodgeball approach to baseball I have no expectations.  If you have no goals for the rockies, you can't be disappointed.  And it feels phenomenal...

This one stands out because it’s more than missing white woman. It has that but then there’s everything else on top of it. It’s ongoing. There are twists and turns. Footage of a police stop, a seemingly coincidental double murder at the same time, now the prime suspect missing. This is no Natalie Holloway.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. Mostly Latter half of the 20th century. And really, publishers like Katherine Graham and the Ochs-Sulzberger family is usually what people have in mind when they think of philanthropist publishers.

Here in San Diego it was the Copely family. They owned and published the San Diego Union and the San Diego Tribune long before it became the U-T. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Suck a fat one HR!!  I was with you on dodgers fans but the Cubs rule!

Hell no. So many bandwagon cubs fans in Denver. They all showed up right after people were ashamed to be Astros fans.  I'm assuming they are the same people.

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Apparently there are some people here who are yet to catch on to just how popular both Crim Dramas and True Crime are as primetime TV genres.

True, they're very popular. There's a cable network devoted to them 24/7 and there are others that air those programs as well.