Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maji

Border Patrol...

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They should be, too bad they are not.  Just like with the police force.  Culture.  

Yeah, when your institutional culture is based around dehumanizing people (which is a necessary step for these guys to do the +++++ed up mission of BP as currently constituted), raping and abusing people is easy. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

and fundraising. it is all about fundraising. from what I understand the national level democratic party is essentially purposefully doing nothing about the texas abortion law because in their analysis it will allow them to fundraise their asses off for 2022 and 2024. they are incentivized to lose policy battles that hurt their constituents so they can do better in elections. 

What exactly can they do about the Texas abortion law? It’s in the courts now, it is what it is.

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

What exactly can they do about the Texas abortion law? It’s in the courts now, it is what it is.

I mean...

they knew it was coming, they've had control of the congress and presidency multiple times since PP vs Casey, they could fundraise ahead of time. They could have enacted actual federal legislation as barriers, or attempt to define life/abortion more rigidly for textualists like Gorsuch. 

There was a fair amount of stuff they could do if they actually cared about abortion instead of cared about people caring about abortion. The party bigwigs are wealthy and well connected, just like republican ones. no matter the legality of abortion they all will have zero problem getting abortions, and they all will, without guilt. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

I mean...

they knew it was coming, they've had control of the congress and presidency multiple times since PP vs Casey, they could fundraise ahead of time. They could have enacted actual federal legislation as barriers, or attempt to define life/abortion more rigidly for textualists like Gorsuch. 

There was a fair amount of stuff they could do if they actually cared about abortion instead of cared about people caring about abortion. The party bigwigs are wealthy and well connected, just like republican ones. no matter the legality of abortion they all will have zero problem getting abortions, and they all will, without guilt. 

Filibuster 

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Filibuster 

2009-2011. reconciliation. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

So a minimum wage increase wasn’t allowed in reconciliation but ABORTION RIGHTS would be? GTFOH with that nonsense. And they had 13 calendar months with a supermajority, so even saying 2009-2011 is incredibly misleading. So since Casey V Planned parenthood the Dems only had 13 months where it would have even been possibly to pass legislation. 

Trying to BoTh SiDeS this is just silly. 

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

In 2009, a substantial number of Dem Reps and Senators were blue dogs or socially conservative. Re: reconciliation, the parliamentarian wouldn't view abortion as a budgetary matter.  Thus, adjusting abortion laws wouldn't happen unless Congress voted to override the Parliamentarian's decision, which brings us back to the initial problem I mentioned.

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So a minimum wage increase wasn’t allowed in reconciliation but ABORTION RIGHTS would be? GTFOH with that nonsense. And they had 13 calendar months with a supermajority, so even saying 2009-2011 is incredibly misleading. So since Casey V Planned parenthood the Dems only had 13 months where it would have even been possibly to pass legislation. 

Trying to BoTh SiDeS this is just silly. 

Sure. It's pretty easy to have a financial rule, like, states that put in abortion restrictions under 28 weeks cease to receive federal highway funding. 

It ain't both sides. It is pointing out the democrats acting like a political party (and also being worse organized and less effective than republicans). 

At the very least, you're downplaying social and political changes by mentioning 2009. However, I do agree that both parties use hot button social & cultural issues to motivate their base -- even while knowing neither party intends on touching said hot button. In this case, the intent wouldn't matter. The Dem's brief supermajority was in a completely different political climate. They didn't even have the numbers to pass a public option.

Politics is more nationalized & polarized now

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Sure. It's pretty easy to have a financial rule, like, states that put in abortion restrictions under 28 weeks cease to receive federal highway funding. 

It ain't both sides. It is pointing out the democrats acting like a political party (and also being worse organized and less effective than republicans). 

I’m sorry, but thinking abortion rights could ever get in to a reconciliation bill is fantasy land nonsense. And even if it somehow did using the method you suggested, no way SCOTUS let’s that happen. What, is a conservative Court going to use South Dakota v. Dole as precedent for to uphold that? Yea effing right. I am all for abortion rights and even I would say that’s coercive as phuck and would fail the last point in the five point test from Dole.

53 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m sorry, but thinking abortion rights could ever get in to a reconciliation bill is fantasy land nonsense. And even if it somehow did using the method you suggested, no way SCOTUS let’s that happen. What, is a conservative Court going to use South Dakota v. Dole as precedent for to uphold that? Yea effing right. I am all for abortion rights and even I would say that’s coercive as phuck and would fail the last point in the five point test from Dole.

how would they not let it happen? I mean we've had decades since PP vs Casey and more since Roe v Wade. And the democrats did jack shit legislatively, on purpose, with a liberal court for most of that time. 

Why do you think they did next to nothing while the conservatives wrote up laws over and over to be stricken down? they don't care. it's a fundraising issue. the more in peril abortion is, the more power they have. 

19 hours ago, happycamper said:

how would they not let it happen? I mean we've had decades since PP vs Casey and more since Roe v Wade. And the democrats did jack shit legislatively, on purpose, with a liberal court for most of that time. 

Why do you think they did next to nothing while the conservatives wrote up laws over and over to be stricken down? they don't care. it's a fundraising issue. the more in peril abortion is, the more power they have. 

Why do I think they did next to nothing? Because except for 13 months, filibuster.  Because thinking abortion rights could get in to reconciliation is pie in the sky bullshit. 

40 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Why do I think they did next to nothing? Because except for 13 months, filibuster.  Because thinking abortion rights could get in to reconciliation is pie in the sky bullshit. 

Because they did!

I mean for +++++'s sakes the conservatives:

Built an entire mailing list

Changed the theology of a couple protestant denominations

Changed voting laws

Created an entire legal philosophy

Created a society to promote that philosophy

Built think tanks to watch and support judges

Carefully crafted legislation to hone in on the fine points

Carefully massaged their legal philosophy to fill up first elite law schools and then the federal judiciary so they had a huge talent pool to draw from

Successfully focused on state level races to keep a state legislative and district drawing advantage

Got conservative SC justices to retire to keep their members

Kept up their efforts for 70 damn years

What the hell did democrats do?

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Because they did!

I mean for +++++'s sakes the conservatives:

Built an entire mailing list

Changed the theology of a couple protestant denominations

Changed voting laws

Created an entire legal philosophy

Created a society to promote that philosophy

Built think tanks to watch and support judges

Carefully crafted legislation to hone in on the fine points

Carefully massaged their legal philosophy to fill up first elite law schools and then the federal judiciary so they had a huge talent pool to draw from

Successfully focused on state level races to keep a state legislative and district drawing advantage

Got conservative SC justices to retire to keep their members

Kept up their efforts for 70 damn years

What the hell did democrats do?

I’m not really sure what point you are attempting to make anymore. If you want to say Dems will fundraise off abortion rights….

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Uhhhh Yea, I agree. But do I think they realistically could have done anything about it legislatively? No, I don’t. When they had that 13 month window the focus was, understandably, on the ACA. And by the time the ACA passed the supermajority was long gone.

Other then that I’m not really sure what we are arguing about.