Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Time to Separate the MWC Contenders from Pretenders?

1 hour ago, unionman said:

and Mumme proved he couldn't call the plays before that and it's his crappy air raid bullsh!t!  Nevada will not win the MWC with this offense!  Mumme and it need to go, but that won't happen because of all the time Norvell has put into this offense.  When Norvell leaves, we will have to go through another long transition of putting in a new offense and have to hear "give it time" he has to get his guys here.  Norvell should have installed a real offense when he got here.  There can be elements of the air raid in a team's passing attack, but nobody wins anything substantial running the air raid.

So let me get this straight.  You're letting the HC off the hook for running an Off you don't like?  So you don't believe "the buck stops here"?  

20 hours ago, wolfan said:

So let me get this straight.  You're letting the HC off the hook for running an Off you don't like?  So you don't believe "the buck stops here"?  

What can I do? I don't call the shots at the U. I can certainly see what is happening.  This offense isn't going to win the MWC, if we can't do it this year, when?  Norvell has the program on consistent ground and won't get fired unless there is a consistent downfall for some seasons.  USC went with Clay Helton for the stability and he was fine for a while, being consistent and looking like they might turn the corner until reality hit them in the face.  We are in a similar situation with Norvell.  Only difference is Norvell won't be fired anytime soon.  We can't afford the money or the hit that changing coaches every 4-5 years puts on a program.  

19 minutes ago, unionman said:

What can I do? I don't call the shots at the U. I can certainly see what is happening.  This offense isn't going to win the MWC, if we can't do it this year, when?  Norvell has the program on consistent ground and won't get fired unless there is a consistent downfall for some seasons.  USC went with Clay Helton for the stability and he was fine for a while, being consistent and looking like they might turn the corner until reality hit them in the face.  We are in a similar situation with Norvell.  Only difference is Norvell won't be fired anytime soon.  We can't afford the money or the hit that changing coaches every 4-5 years puts on a program.  

AD Knuth is loath to replace coaches so Norvell will be here, unless there is really serious tanking (0-3 wins) or he takes another job, for for the rest of his career.  

1 minute ago, wolfan said:

AD Knuth is loath to replace coaches so Norvell will be here, unless there is really serious tanking (0-3 wins) or he takes another job, for for the rest of his career.  

That probably comes as a bit of a surprise for Polian and Carter...

Just now, nvspuds said:

That probably comes as a bit of a surprise for Polian and Carter...

Knuth had no choice.  Polian embarrassed the U & Carter killed off the BB program, 1 of the 2 most important.  If David Carter were a volleyball coach he'd still be here

regardless of the record.  

2 minutes ago, wolfan said:

Knuth had no choice.  Polian embarrassed the U & Carter killed off the BB program, 1 of the 2 most important.  If David Carter were a volleyball coach he'd still be here

regardless of the record.  

I disagree with your notion that Knuth won't fire coaches for reasons less hair raising than your examples.

There are financial considerations that may play a role.  But that is not the same as loathing to do a part of your job..

20 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I disagree with your notion that Knuth won't fire coaches for reasons less hair raising than your examples.

There are financial considerations that may play a role.  But that is not the same as loathing to do a part of your job..

The VB coach is in his 7th year.  He's gone 72-105 & 36-71 in conference.  He's had 1 winning year in conference going 10-8.  We're always at or close to the bottom of the conference.  I agree budget plays a role but still.

On 9/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, unionman said:

and Mumme proved he couldn't call the plays before that and it's his crappy air raid bullsh!t!  Nevada will not win the MWC with this offense!  Mumme and it need to go, but that won't happen because of all the time Norvell has put into this offense.  When Norvell leaves, we will have to go through another long transition of putting in a new offense and have to hear "give it time" he has to get his guys here.  Norvell should have installed a real offense when he got here.  There can be elements of the air raid in a team's passing attack, but nobody wins anything substantial running the air raid.

I don’t totally agree about the offense, but I agree Mumme is about as worthless as a professional cheerleader on the sideline. I also disagree that we don’t have the players for a pro style offense. We do. I don’t know why people call it the air raid. It’s more like a partial air raid when we pass. The linemen are tight rather than spaced out like a normal air raid, and that’s because we run the ball a lot. This offense is closer to a pro style than an air raid. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t totally agree about the offense, but I agree Mumme is about as worthless as a professional cheerleader on the sideline. I also disagree that we don’t have the players for a pro style offense. We do. I don’t know why people call it the air raid. It’s more like a partial air raid when we pass. The linemen are tight rather than spaced out like a normal air raid, and that’s because we run the ball a lot. This offense is closer to a pro style than an air raid. 

Mumme is OC in name only, he's the QB coach.  He recruited a guy that nobody offered & turned him into a possible 1st rounder, so there's that.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I agree about us having the players to run another offense.  What I mentioned about needing time to get his players is just the excuses we hear everywhere when a team changes offenses.  Football players are football players.  O linemen pass block and run block in whatever offense is run, receivers catch and kinda block in whatever offense etc...  Some are better than others at these things.  These excuses were being thrown out there when there was talk of not running the Pistol as the base offense.  Unfortunately it is called the air raid because of Mumme.  Every time we are on tv the air raid is mentioned because Mumme is our QBs coach and listed as the offensive coordinator as well as his lineage to the air raid offense through his dad and his having played in it as QB for his dad at Kentucky.  Although it is mentioned as well that we run a lot out of it compared to other air raid offenses.