Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Time to Separate the MWC Contenders from Pretenders?

Yeah, I'm not saying Wyoming is a world beater. The nickname "Cardiac Cowboys" fits all too well still, considering how close the first two games were. That said, it seems like our offense went pretty vanilla in the first game against Montana State, but defense kept them in check. Whereas the last two game, they opened up the playbook for offense and, the results speak for themselves. Only, against NIU the defense suddenly forgot how to tackle, blowing a huge lead and almost the game. But against the defending MAC champs that beat Joser in the bowl game last year, both offense and defense did their jobs. But its mind blowing that Ball State, with so many returning players from last year's squad, that we stomped them so hard.

Yeah, don't know what to tell ya. MSU is slicing through their FCS foes, but the MAC teams, don't know.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:54 PM, Warbow said:

Excuses excuses I didn't see any of those guys you mentioned drop any passes. 

Don’t need to make excuses.  I guess you missed the part where Sparty left with a W and the trophy.  You are lucky they didn’t steal all the Spam on their way to the airport. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 9/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Wyovanian said:

Wyoming doesn't need to sweep AFA and Fresno. Fresno isn't even a division foe. That game could be a preview of the CCG, for all we know at this point. A loss to AFA still leaves the door wide open to a division championship. We dropped a close one to Boise last year in Laramie. Last game in Boise went into OT, and the game before that, we had a lead going into the 4th quarter. We are 1-1 in Logan the last two games there, and we're undefeated in Canvas Stadium. I'd say we need to win 2 of the 3 road games against AFA, USU, and Boise State to have a shot at the CCG,  but the Fresno game isn't really a factor.

As for bottom-feeders, we get them at home this year...

How does the Fresno St. game not factor in? It is a conference game and counts toward your standings within the division. I think the point being made is that taking a loss to Fresno St. puts the Pokes another game behind the Mountain Div. foes that may not face Fresno St. this year.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:49 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

We beat a Pac12 team with 44 passing yards.  At the very least, Our defense and run game are contenders.  Passing game couldn't be a Pretender if it walked 500 miles to do so.  The aerial attack is the Rick Roll of our fanbase, a decade strong.  

Boise State only wishes they could run the ball 25% as well as the Aztecs. And vice versa regarding the passing game. We’ll trade you Shakir, Bachmeier, and our Oline for your Oline straight up. 

PRETENDERS:

UTags - Where's the offense ?

Sparty - @DoubleBlueGold wtf ?

legends of the hidden temple nicksplat GIF

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

PRETENDERS:

UTags - Where's the offense ?

Sparty - @DoubleBlueGold wtf ?

legends of the hidden temple nicksplat GIF

After today's performance it's a possibility. After the Hawaii game, not so much.

And also, lol at your rent free post.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, Ibanez said:

Aside from UNLV who won't win a game and the AAC Power house from Fort Collins Stinking the place up, this should be about as competitive as a season this MWC money has seen. SDSU, Fresno, Nevada, Joser, Wyoming, and Boise can beat anybody. Utah State might be better than any of us know. Hawaii is gonna upset someone at home and Air Force is gonna win games. And I think New Mexico has a pulse. The days of automatically picking them in the Mountain Basement is just about over.

Almost every conference game is a coin toss right now.

Ha ha. CSU if it wins will have the biggest signature win of the year

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Another Pretender:

Wyoming.

Another cone from behind win against a suspect opponent.

Oh well, a W is a W

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Another Pretender:

Wyoming.

Another cone from behind win against a suspect opponent.

Oh well, a W is a W

I hate those cones from behind haha. In all seriousness I about had a heart attack. We have to figure how to win on the road vs playing to whatever teams level we are on the field with on the road. 

tetons1.jpg

Is it possible we now know less about who is good/bad/average than we did before this weekend? 

Fresno- what the hell was that?

UNLV- also, what the hell was that?  
CSU-  hangin with # 5

USU- kept stepping on their own feet

BSU- gladly took advantage of USU’s mistakes 

SJSU- the MAC is kryponite 

SDSU- pulled away in the second half

Wyo- last second win over what may be the worst team in FBS

Air Force- remembered how to play defense 

Hawaii- remembered how to play offense

New Mexico- lost 7 receivers then lost to UTEP

Nevada- probably glad to have missed this crap

We are 4 weeks in and I think I know less about this conference than I did before the season. 

Every week i scratch my head at the CFB upsets and the craziness. A&M losing today.  USC getting nut punched by Oregon St. UNLV taking Fresno to the limit ? CSU hanging with a good team. We just might have a National Champ with two losses.

Strange Days Indeed. Most pecuiliar Mama.

Americans Mayor

I hope I am wrong but Wyo is a pretender. Our OCS is the weakest I can remember and we barely won 3 of the games. We could easily be 1 and 3 with some horrific losses. This team does not look as disciplined as prior year, which is weird for a team loaded with upperclassmen. UCONN held their own on the line of scrimmage in the first half, WY didn’t get going until they got tired. We also struggled with their speed at times which is another red flag. I really hope to eat crow on this post but I can’t ignore what I am seeing. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, Ibanez said:

Aside from UNLV who won't win a game and the AAC Power house from Fort Collins Stinking the place up, this should be about as competitive as a season this MWC money has seen. SDSU, Fresno, Nevada, Joser, Wyoming, and Boise can beat anybody. Utah State might be better than any of us know. Hawaii is gonna upset someone at home and Air Force is gonna win games. And I think New Mexico has a pulse. The days of automatically picking them in the Mountain Basement is just about over.

Almost every conference game is a coin toss right now.

I'm actually interested to see CSU in Conference play, they've seemed to improve every single week. Went from getting rocked at home to beating a Toledo team that gave ND fits to hanging with Iowa. In terms of progression they seem to be trending in the right direction.

38 minutes ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

I hope I am wrong but Wyo is a pretender. Our OCS is the weakest I can remember and we barely won 3 of the games. We could easily be 1 and 3 with some horrific losses. This team does not look as disciplined as prior year, which is weird for a team loaded with upperclassmen. UCONN held their own on the line of scrimmage in the first half, WY didn’t get going until they got tired. We also struggled with their speed at times which is another red flag. I really hope to eat crow on this post but I can’t ignore what I am seeing. 

I'm right there with you.  Horrible showing in OOC despite being 4-0.  If it was 1 game we could write it off and just say it was an off day or a long ways to travel.  3 games is more of a trend.  

I don't understand the Oline struggles and Chambers is a mediocre QB with limited if any upside at this point since he doesn't really run that much.  

The penalties yesterday were mind boggling as well . 

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I'm right there with you.  Horrible showing in OOC despite being 4-0.  If it was 1 game we could write it off and just say it was an off day or a long ways to travel.  3 games is more of a trend.  

I don't understand the Oline struggles and Chambers is a mediocre QB with limited if any upside at this point since he doesn't really run that much.  

The penalties yesterday were mind boggling as well . 

Bohl has such a bad history of not coaching the players up for let down games. You could tell the oline didn't have their heads in the game. Chambers is well....  Chambers.  His upside was that he could run.  Can't blame him for being hesitant with his injury history.  I don't know if Levi is ready, he regressed a ton under Vigen.  And there is a lot to fix in regards to his decision making.  The sophomore transfer from Utah is the best option on the roster but they won't start him unless chambers and Levi get hurt.

22 hours ago, wolfan said:

And yet Norvell has been calling the plays for a couple of years now.

and Mumme proved he couldn't call the plays before that and it's his crappy air raid bullsh!t!  Nevada will not win the MWC with this offense!  Mumme and it need to go, but that won't happen because of all the time Norvell has put into this offense.  When Norvell leaves, we will have to go through another long transition of putting in a new offense and have to hear "give it time" he has to get his guys here.  Norvell should have installed a real offense when he got here.  There can be elements of the air raid in a team's passing attack, but nobody wins anything substantial running the air raid.