Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Time to Separate the MWC Contenders from Pretenders?

12 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

This is going to be a fun year in the conference. Still a lot of football to be played.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint.  Survive and move on.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

12 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

This is going to be a fun year in the conference. Still a lot of football to be played.

Unlike most seasons, there will be top-notch and compelling Conference matchups. Every weekend, starting this week.

Boise @ the Utags

Let's not forget the late night Hawa'ii  @  New Mexico State Greatest Hits Vol. 1 matchup.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

The PAC West

UNLV and Hawaii

Hopefully, you're developing some good young ball players. See you next year.

Sparty - Has the most favorable schedule. SUDS, Pokes, Utags, and Fresno at home. Their toughest stretch is three straight against the Pokes, @Pack, and Utags. But, as @DoubleBlueGold keeps pointing out, they lack depth at the skill positions.

The Pack - Pretender. The second toughest schedule behind Boise. @Boise, followed by five straight of @Fresno, Southern Nevada CC, Sparty, @SUDS, AFA. Will they have anything in the tank after the physical, spiritual and emotional beat down by UNLV ?

Aztecs - Pretender. No qb, no hope. Theoretically, with a scrimmage this week, an off week, then New Mexico, they should be able to work out their qb issues. But these are the Aztecs. Loaded at every position but the most important one. They will lose an OMG game to a bottom feeder. They can easily finish somewhere between 4-6 conference wins.

Dawgs - Contender.  Following your off week, it's @Wyoming, Nevada, @ SDSU, Boise. Then you finish @Sparty.

Like the Aztecs you could finish between 4-6 wins.

Boise - Contender

Nevada, @Fresno, @sSDSU. They will have a say in the Pac West outcome.

This Division is a coin toss. I can see 3 teams finishing 5-3 with tie breakers and a coin flip involved.

The Spartans toughest stretch all season might be right now.  Three straight road games @USC, @Hawaii, @Western Michigan.  The turn around from Hawaii to Michigan is tough.  If they can somehow get a win at WMU this week, look out!

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

22 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

The Spartans toughest stretch all season might be right now.  Three straight road games @USC, @Hawaii, @Western Michigan.  The turn around from Hawaii to Michigan is tough.  If they can somehow get a win at WMU this week, look out!

I am concern about this too. I take comfort from last season. Every game had the team fly-in-fly-out until UNLV stepped up generously.

I'm afraid Boise State, for the first time in a long time, is NOT a contender, at least for the MWC title.

Oklahoma State is not a good team this year. Boise State had them down and at home and still lost. Refs fumble call hurt, FG Curse remains, but even with both of those, Boise State in past years would have won by a couple of scores against that particularly Okie State team regardless.

I don't see Boise State on the level of Fresno or SDSU this year, BYU will clown stomp BSU in Provo and every game, minus a couple, could go to the last possession. I'd say AFA, @CSU and UNM are the only sure things (and AFA only because it's a home game for BSU). Right now, IMHO, I see BSU with a best-case-scenario of 7 wins, Utah State, Nevada, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico. Could be as few as 4 or 5, depending on how much wind BYU takes out of their sails.

Middle (or lower) of the pack.

17 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

A team drops 20 passes, yet beats you at home. It's not that we're pretenders, we're clearly not deep. We had 3s and subs from other positions playing receiver roles. Yet we still beat you. You're not bad. You are terrible.

We did get a glimpse of the future with Robinson and Garrett. They will get more touches and pick up for Nevens (was out for the game) at running back. And our multiple-set offense will be as good as last season and the season before.

You should have stopped at "A team drops 20 passes". 

The rest of it makes you look stupid.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

10 minutes ago, Warbow said:

You should have stopped at "A team drops 20 passes". 

The rest of it makes you look stupid.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Aloha kakahiaka. 

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’ve seen nothing from Nevada that makes me believe they’re a contender. Unless K-State finishes with less than 2 losses then that loss doesn’t look so bad.  But Nevada struggles against teams with a pulse.  Against bowl teams they average 18 points per game…..when I called a 7-6 season after the first Cal 2 drives I thought I may be a bit premature.  I’m thinking not at this point.  

We should find out more about K-state this Saturday, they play Oklahoma St who beat Boise. BTW K-State barely beat Southern Illinois by 8. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

If only there was a definitive process by which we can be 100 % sure who the contenders are... Man, I wish that process existed. 

There is, I'm never wrong.

3 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Montana State- sure, they're an FCS team, but how many MW (and others) lost in their FCS matchups that week? There's also the little factor that their HC was our OC the past 7 seasons... Any way, a win's a win...

Northern Illinois- a terrible team that walked out of Atlanta with a win over Georgia Tech. The same Georgia Tech that gave Clemson a scare in Death Valley this past Saturday.

Ball State- defending MAC Champion that thumped our conference champion last year.

I'd say it's a little too early to be calling Wyoming pretenders OR contenders. The AFA game in three weeks will tell us a lot. Until then...

....we do keep good track of the whereabouts of the Paniolo Trophy now. It's currently in the trophy case in the RAC.

The same Northern Illinois team that is 123 in team defense that Michigan hung 63 on? Michigan, really, they haven't scored 60 points since Harbaugh took over. 

The same Ball St that is 118 in team defense? 

3 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Clearly a type-o.

Clearly a troll post.

3 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

You do realize we were missing two O lineman and our starting RB last Saturday night, right? After Deese (Olsen out) went out we were playing with our third string TE. 

Still got it done playing after midnight, aloha jet lag, bye week hangover,  wind storm, no energy with no fans in the high school stadium,

... survived... I’ll take it. 

Btw, the Spartans have played three straight games on the Island. Can we get a home game sometime soon?

Excuses excuses I didn't see any of those guys you mentioned drop any passes. 

1 minute ago, Warbow said:

Clearly a troll post.

It wasn't, but clearly you haven't had your coffee and kahlua yet.

14 minutes ago, Warbow said:

The same Northern Illinois team that is 123 in team defense that Michigan hung 63 on? Michigan, really, they haven't scored 60 points since Harbaugh took over. 

However you slice it or dice it NIU's record outside of Wyoming is 1-1 vs P-5 teams both on the road.  Clearly not the best but not the worst opponent.

Ball State looked shaky against their first FCS opponent then got obliterated by a team now ranked #6 AP and #8 coaches.  Seeing as the Wyoming score was similar to the Penn St score, Wyoming scored one more point and allowed one fewer point, what more do you want from Wyoming in that game?  Waiting to see how Ball State does and if they return to a similar level that they played at last season.

Wyoming needs to take care of business this week and go from there.  I am not calling them a contender, but their opponents while not world beaters aren't trash either.    

Too soon conference play has barely begun. I am not one writing off Boise and honestly I wouldn't be surprised at any mix of SDSU, Fresno, Nevada, SJSU vs Boise, Utah St, AFA, Wyo come December.  I think conference play will be competitive this year.

The one other thing to consider to lend credence towards Wyoming possibly being a contender rather than pretender is the back to back late 4th quarter game winning drives.  One can argue they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with, but it still shows grit in the team.

5 hours ago, Warbow said:

Wyoming hanging 50 and 45 on those teams probably has a lot to do with the defensive standings.  It's been three games,  things will shake out the way it's supposed to.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, JADogs05 said:

lol at everybody getting mad at Warbow when he came out at the beginning and said Hawaii isn't good this year. 

I think you’re getting confused. Most aren’t “MAD” and are giving Warbow a hard time because he is hating on our Pokes. That has no connection to how good or bad Hawaii is. It is connected to how good or bad Warbow is haha. 

tetons1.jpg

1 hour ago, SLCPoke said:

I think you’re getting confused. Most aren’t “MAD” and are giving Warbow a hard time because he is hating on our Pokes. That has no connection to how good or bad Hawaii is. It is connected to how good or bad Warbow is haha. 

People spent the entire first page talking smack against UH like he said UH is a contender.